Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I've to bury my cat:(

Options
  • 23-08-2007 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday evening, my 19 year old cat had to be put to sleep. We took her home to bury her. The vet said to wrap her in a cloth but I was thinking of making a small box for her too. What's the best way to bury a cat can anyone advise? It's pretty tough, I've had her since I was 4 years old. She lived a full life and was soo spoilt:)

Zara, 1988-2007
    159776941a5352682620l.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Very sorry for your loss. I think it might be a nice idea to have a box too yes and also I know some people find it helps to plant a little tree/plant where you bury her so you will always have a little spot in the garden to remember her by.

Hugs to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sorry for your loss, but ensure you bury the cat at least 3 foot down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Make sure you dig deep enough so no animal such as a fox will dig her up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Rest assured that not many cats had such good care and longevity as your animal.Its tough certainly,but think of it like that and you will find it easier.

best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

sorry for your loss, and box would be a nice idea, but I would make it a cardboard one so it will degrade in time, and as the others said make sure you bury her deep enough.

We recently dug up trees in our garden and found remains of dogs and cats under them :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks everyone:)

Would it not be better to use a wooden box incase somebody does dig a few years down the line? They will see an obvious coffin (I can carve something onto the top) instead of striking bones with their shovel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

REally sorry to hear about Zara.

This sounds awful, but I'd advise buying a bag of quick lime from your local builders yard to put on top of her when she's buried as its pretty hard for Mr or Miss Average to dig a hole deep enough to bury their pets properly.

RIP Zara :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sorry to hear that OP.

19 is a great innings.

I agree with Mairt. It may be hard to get down to 3 feet in an average garden.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give digging a go and see how far I get. Should I put the lime on top of the wooden box, or on top of her inside the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

sorry for the loss OP, obviously a very well cared for animal to get to 19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cormie wrote:
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give digging a go and see how far I get. Should I put the lime on top of the wooden box, or on top of her inside the box?

I'd suggest both Zara and on top of the box.

I'm trying to be sensitive, but basically the lime will help speed up the decomposing process.

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll just dig dig dig and see how it goes. Thanks again everyone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

So sorry, its so sad to let a beloved animal go. At least you have a spot in the garden to remember her always. She must have been very much loved and cared for - 19 is a great age.

RIP Zara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Maybe bury her in her favourite spot in the garden- when my cat died, that's what we did, the place she always did her sunbathing in. Sorry for your loss, she must have been very well looked after to live to 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Sorry for your loss, op. It's always hard to lose a much loved pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hi Cormie, just seen this ... sorry to hear about your cat. Still, 19 years was a pretty good innings, as they say, and I'm sure he's looking down at you from Kitty Heaven as we speak :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hi Cormie, sorry for your loss. I've had my cat since i was 8. He's 15 now and I would be really please if he was around and happy for the next 4 years. I would definitely agree with putting her somewhere in the garden where she used to sunbathe/try to catch insects. That would be a nice place for her to rest. Also, I'd agree that you need to dig quite deep. A friend on mine buried her dog not very deep and it was uncovered within a few days.

Thanks again everyone:)

I went to buy some material today and I built her a wooden coffin, just the right size. Then I carved ZARA 1988-2007 into it and lined it with white cotton, I took her from the towel she was in from the vets and placed her on the white cotton and covered it over her and put on the top. Then we put her in a 3 foot hole I was digging for hours, covered it up with soil and built a small mound surrounded by stones. Had some friends over too so it was nice:)

She's at rest now anyway, take care Zara, will miss you:(

Advertisement