Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish domain registration

Options
  • 23-08-2007 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there, does anyone know where you can obtain an irish web domain ('.ie') for best value? I heard you can register one for as low as 30 euro? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think its €25 per year on www.letshost.ie
    Others you should try are www.blacknight.ie

I can't think of any more but wwill get back to you on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

gggg wrote:
    Hi there, does anyone know where you can obtain an irish web domain ('.ie') for best value? I heard you can register one for as low as 30 euro? thanks

Digiweb €29.99. Very helpful too. www.digiweb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Is it really that important, I've 3 websites and purely because of the rip off value I went for .com with all 3 instead of .ie

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

BingoBongo wrote:
    Is it really that important, I've 3 websites and purely because of the rip off value I went for .com with all 3 instead of .ie

Just a word of caution... Be sure when buying from a reseller that you are buying the name in *your* own right as opposed to the reseller registering it and "leasing" it to you.

I am always nervious when people can offer registrations under the value of the actual cost to do it direct. IEDR don't really do bulk discounts etc. so it cannot be that.

I must have 50+ .ie's registered at this stage, all with IEDR for my sins and I have paid through the nose for them. They are not cheap but you know it's yours for as long as you keep paying.

If it is a corporate registration the domain is an asset of the company, believe it or not, so you want to be sure you can hold onto it rather than having in the care of a 3rd party.

I'm not casting doubts on digiweb, blacknight & co. who offer the registrations, just be careful if it is really important to sign up to the right deal with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

@BingoBingo, it could be that important if your company is Irish and you need the hits from search engines, as the IE domain name gives you a boost, particularly if you're hosted in IE network space. It's also important if you have a relatively common name, as .com is squatted to bejesus. There's an implied stability to the customer to, although how many of them would actually recognise that is debatable.

@macrubicon, none of the companies mentioned in this thread so far are selling at below cost. LetsHost is at cost, but not below. You could save yourself a hell of a lot of money by going with a reseller. Like €2k/year savings, before VAT. On reliability, it's very unusual for domains to be dropped if renewals are paid; assuming you're with a reputable company of course.

(My company is an IEDR reseller.)

adam

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    @macrubicon, none of the companies mentioned in this thread so far are selling at below cost. LetsHost is at cost, but not below. You could save yourself a hell of a lot of money by going with a reseller. Like €2k/year savings, before VAT. On reliability, it's very unusual for domains to be dropped if renewals are paid; assuming you're with a reputable company of course.

(My company is an IEDR reseller.)

adam

Hmmm... back to the IEDR for me then... we are meant to be getting them at cost paying a shade under €40 at the moment.... ( we are a 3rd level college.... )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The IEDR's retail fee is €69 + VAT, and the only exceptions to that are supposed to be charities. Looks like you have a mate in the IEDR, eh? ;)

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    The IEDR's retail fee is €69 + VAT, and the only exceptions to that are supposed to be charities. Looks like you have a mate in the IEDR, eh? ;)

adam

No such luck... bulk deal discount and as an educational establishment we are a registered charity believe it or not !

It used to be that if you registered more than a certain number of domains you would get a discount... We have had domains with them for donkeys years so we piggyback on the deals we did waaay back when....

Advertisement