Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

offered a....

Options
  • 23-08-2007 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

My better halfs brother is offloading his skoda as his beamer has been purchased. hes offered me the following for 2k. This would be my first car.

Skoda Octavia 1.6 AMBIENTE.
    80,000 miles.
    just been serviced.
    glass cracked on rear right light housing but other than that mint condition.
    Due NCT next year IIRC.

I'm on my provisional at the moment and have been quoted €2081 fully comp on this car. bringing the grand total to 4k... ish.

I havent a clue about this sort of thing, im a "if it has 4 working wheels and goes, ill drive it" kinda person, but the octavia is a nice looking car with shed loads of space.

whats the concensus?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Sounds like a very good price for a car of that age.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are you mad? €2100 for insurance on a €2000 car?

Buy something with a much smaller engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The car sounds like a very good deal ...insurance on the other hand isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Seems pretty bang on to me. And you're probably going to pay high insurance no matter what car you get. I doubt the difference would be more than a few hundred euro on a 1.0 corsa or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Are you mad? €2100 for insurance on a €2000 car?

see thats where i need your advice :P

i havent a clue about this kinda stuff.

I'm 24 and on my first year provisional. Im getting lessons atm, but im being advised to buy and start going out on my own.

i was quoted 2k for the 1.6 which i knew was painful, but i was expecting that.

when i searched for a quote (on a micra for example) valued around 1.5-2k it didnt come up much in the difference... some places wouldnt even quote me on a micra?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

At that price it's a steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Nice car, nice price.

I got insured on a 1.4l 1999 Almera for €1700 2 years ago at the age of 23, first provisional licence. It actually wouldn't have made things much cheaper for me to insure a Micra I remember.

However you have a pretty large engine there for a learner driver. I think but I could be wrong that most insurance companies don't like to have learner drivers with engines above 1.5l or something like that.

But if you pass your test quickly you will save a pile. Passed my test in December and March this year at 24 I got quoted €730 for the same car and with a refund for having a full licence between late December to the start of March I ended up paying €600.

NOTE: The insurance is third party, fire and theft with FBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Why don't you just get tpf&t instead of full comp if you are paying only 2k for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Insurance is expensive but should come down considerably next year when you are 25 and (I should hope) have your full licence.

Car sounds like a fantastic bargain at that price and €4,000 for a years motoring in a 2001 Skoda 1.6 is very reasonable.

C_Breeze wrote:
    Why don't you just get tpf&t instead of full comp if you are paying only 2k for the car.

well i would have thought it would be worth more than 2k, and there is only a 175 euro difference between tp and fully comp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

ah ok , i thought difference would have been more than 175!

Well you are getting a good deal on the car but being shafted on insurance, so they cancel each other out.

But as previously mentioned , ~4k for 1yr motoring in a 1.6 '01 octavia is good considering its your first car and you have a Prov.

Id say go for it!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

great price on the car, BUT, as said u are killing yourself with the insurance. Get a quote on a 1.3 or a 1.4 on a similar aged car and price and see if there is much difference.
    If not then go with it, but get a Third party fire and theft quote also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'd say go for it. I'm 24 and on my first provisional too and driving a Golf 1.4 and insurance is 1850 full comp, so its not like your getting shafted with insurance seeing as it is a 1.6.

2k is a total steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

take it, take it!!!
    no contest here!! in fairness, if you were to buy a smaller car (1 litre or whatever) you'd pay the same amount and only probably save 2 or 3 hundred on your insurance, everyone has to take a hit the first year or two. good luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Have a look at my recent thread - Link's in my signature. For €175, don't even think about skimping on the insurance..... BTW - Great price for the car, as long as it's been maintained. Don't forget to consider the extra you'll spend on road tax too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

paid €2200 insurance on 1.1 punto worth €1000. was 19 and on provisional.

so insurance isn't gonna be that different on a smaller car for you. infact, your quote is really good

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

R.O.R wrote:
    Car sounds like a fantastic bargain at that price and €4,000 for a years motoring in a 2001 Skoda 1.6 is very reasonable.

It's even cheaper that that: the car should be still worth at least the €2,000 you pay for it this time next year - I know someone recently bought a 2000 1.6 for €4,500 which was the cheapest that could be found at the time.

On that basis, OP, you should go for it. It'll only cost you the tax and insurance for the year, you're not going to get better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Cance, a bit of shopping around on the phone should yield a better quote than that surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

If insurance id a prob, buy the car and sell it for more.

In fairness if your on a provisional and under 25 that insurance is quite reasonable. If your over 25 and on a provo the insurance company is having a laugh with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

ciarsd wrote:
    Cance, a bit of shopping around on the phone should yield a better quote than that surely?
    I agree. Get a broker on the case too. My quote at a similar age on similar car was €1800 with a bit of leverage.

after some ringing around, 2 out of 5 well known insurance companies pretty much told me to piss off with my 1.6 on first license.

anyway, quinn came back with

1,841.80 fully comp
    1,397.39 for TPF&T

which is the clear winner. fully comp vs TP... hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

amazing what 5 mins of your time & 20c on a telephone call can do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The car sounds like a very good deal.

As for the insurance tpf&t v comp, bear in mind that you'll be insuring the car for a value of €4,750 - €5,950, if the figures on carzone mean anything.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&MakeID=28&xMakeID=28&ColourID=&xColourID=&ModelID=248&xModelID=248&Doors=4&BodyID=4248&Engine_Min=1500&Year_Min=2000&Engine_Max=1700&Year_Max=2000&Price_Min=&Price_Min_integer=Minimum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&CountyID=&xCountyID=&Price_Max=&Price_Max_integer=Maximum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&BusinessID=&xBusinessID=&IsPrivateSale=&FuelID=&Mileage_Max=&Mileage_Max_integer=Max+mileage+entered+was+not+an+integer.&SortBy=MakeAsc&MaxRows=100&InsertPeriod=&ResultFormat=&submit=Find+%3E%3E
    There are a few other 1.6 2000's there for up to €6,500. The car isn't available on the VRT calculator for some reason.

Shop around for insurance. If your parents use one company, then have them ring that company and say "will you better or match our sons' lowest quote, or do we change insurers?". Always worth a try.

Try a broker, AA, and FBD.

ballooba wrote:
    €90 part and a 10 minute job (3 nuts AFAIR)

legend, thanks for the help with that.

ref TP or fully comp, jaysus gill. Im so sorry to hear what happened, may the drivers genitals get caught in a freak harpooning accident.

If you don't want to be insured with Quinn you can go back to the other insurers and tell them what Quinn quoted you. See if they will beat it. €1800 sounds about right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Go for it. You'll be screwed one way or another if you're 24/provisional/no NCB. Hopefully your insurance will come down an awful lot next year and you'll have a nice car to go with it. My insurance went from 1600 (same as yourself 24/prov/no NCB) to 750 in one year (25/full/1 years).

Also try valuing the car for what it's worth rather than what you paid for it when obtaining insurance. You might think a higher valued car would cost more to insure, but in actual fact, insurers look at low valued cars and think "rusted deathtraps".

Fey! wrote:
    Shop around for insurance. If your parents use one company, then have them ring that company and say "will you better or match our sons' lowest quote, or do we change insurers?". Always worth a try.
    Good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

gucci wrote:
    take it, take it!!!

I agree - go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Putting a girlfriend or parent on the insurance policy as a named driver might actually reduce the premium too.

Advertisement