Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

offered a....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OT; isn't it unusual for everyone to agree on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Fey! wrote:
    OT; isn't it unusual for everyone to agree on boards?
    And an Octavia thread where nobody has mentioned the size of its boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

fletch wrote:
    And an Octavia thread where nobody has mentioned the size of its boot.
    Yeah....It's incredible. 'cos they have such a big boot. In fairness, the OP wrote: "I havent a clue about this sort of thing, im a "if it has 4 working wheels and goes, ill drive it" kinda person, but the octavia is a nice looking car with shed loads of space."

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Buy the Octavia for €2k. Sell it for €5k. Buy a late 90s small car (micra / fiesta) for €2k. That leaves plenty to pay for tax, insurance, driving lessons and a lot of petrol!

In two years time, with two years NCB, buy a nice car...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

His gf's brother is not giving him the car so that he can sell it to make a profit. It's a kind offer, don't rip him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Take the car definitely. The savings you make on the car will far outweigh the 'expensive' insurance you will have to pay on it for a year or two plus when it comes to resale time you will find you have not lost any money on it either! Win win.

ballooba wrote:
    His gf's brother is not giving him the car so that he can sell it to make a profit. It's a kind offer, don't rip him off.

OP used the word "offloading" which doesn't sound like almost giving a present. But you're probably right, the gf's brother might not be impressed to hear it's been sold on for a (big) profit

In that case, buy the car and get the cheapest insurance. The €1,400 sounds like a pretty good deal. This will probably drop to below a grand after a years NCB and with a full license

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

ballooba wrote:

exactly, i'd be divorced before marriage!

anyone any hates for the octavia?
    whats this about the boot?
    any known problems?

hes off in america atm, he gets back on monday so i have till then to make my mind up.

The only people you will find on here who 'hate' the Octavia are only doing so to counteract those who 'love' it. It's a Passat without the Passat price tag, there's not much to not like. The Octavia was a hot topic here for months. Thankfully not so much of late. Check out what Honest John has to say.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=369&

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    It's a Passat without the Passat price tag

Even better. It's a Golf without the Golf price tag ;)

It's also much bigger than a Golf and as mentioned it has a huge boot (same size as in my BMW 7-series, but much more practical). But make no mistake. It is utterly boring. It is a means to transport a few people and a some stuff cheaply and reliably from A to B

Like a Toyota, but much cheaper :D

Forgot that it is actually a Golf. I hear you on the boring, but it's not as boring as a Micra or a Starlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Go for it, 1.6 is a decent size, you get a 1 Litre and 6 months down the road you'll be wishing you went for the Octavia.

Why is it that people driving micras are all over the place when their driving !

Oh .. BTW .. go for the ignition test and get your full license asap to bring the price down

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted a reply and helped out an ignorant motorist.

I have decided to take the car, Thank you all so much. its refreshing to find a board that is as helpful as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Best of luck with it. I learned how to drive on a 1.5 petrol, found it gave me a bit of confidence when overtaking.

Advertisement