Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faith - A divine attribute...

Options
  • 23-08-2007 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else here absolutely bamboozled by how various religions have somehow turned 'faith' into an admirable quality? By faith I mean belief without reasonable, material grounds or evidence for that belief. Its seems having faith is something to aspire to and is a virtue of the noble and pious. Why?

'How do you know you're going to heaven?'
    'I have faith...'
    'Wow, you're so religious and good!'

What?

Why would a God(s) create us with intelligence, reason, imaginiation and logic and then require and reward something which can be the antithesis of these? Its one of the things that really got me questioning christianity (and then faith in general) as a child.

“Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe” (Jn. 20:29)

Why are these to people worthy of praise rather than Thomas who would not believe without proof? Blessed are those who correctly guess the right messiah without proof?

“Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe”. (Jn. 20:25).

Last time I checked it was quite sensible to require substantive proof (where available) before committing to a particular belief (religious or not). Should we be punished for having a critical mind and not putting our reasoning to the test?

Basically a God is asking us to 'have faith' in him, without proof. Yet will condemn to hell without this faith. Oh yeah, and don't accidently place faith in any of the other, incorrect religions. How do we know they're wrong? Well...you have to have faith.

Making faith virtuous is the biggest scam theism has ever pulled.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sangre wrote:
    Is anyone else here absolutely bamboozled by how various religions have somehow turned 'faith' into an admirable quality?
    Those who proclaim to have "faith" (in theory) follow a moral code that they believe makes them better people.

Those without faith, don't follow a set moral code and so are quite possibly axe-murderers and baby eaters.

Okay, so it's not that simple. Or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Those who proclaim to have "faith" (in theory) follow a moral code that they believe makes them better people.

Those without faith, don't follow a set moral code and so are quite possibly axe-murderers and baby eaters.

Okay, so it's not that simple. Or is it?

Hmm. Do you:

1. currently own an axe? Has it recently needed cleaning?

2. have any baby parts in your fridge?

Actually, we have a choice. We can

(a) follow the same set of arbitrary restrictions as Christians - in which case we're evidence of the obviousness of Christian morality

(b) not follow the same set of arbitrary restrictions as Christians - in which case we're sinners, and evidence of the immorality of atheists

or,

(c) follow a different set of arbitrary restrictions - in which case ecumenicalism obliges them to say nice things about us, while secretly thinking the same as above

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Preaching to the choir. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I guess so. Making ignorance something to be proud of was a great marketing ploy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Maybe faith is only an admirable quality to fellow believers, in the same way the proclamation of one's atheism/agnosticism is applauded by non-believers...

• Advertisement

To clarify I don't mean 'faith' in the 'I believe in XXX' but in the 'I don't know the answer, but I've faith' way.

You might hear someone say 'he has great faith' in an admiring way, as in he believes very strongly despite our current climate of skepticism and science.. Might even be said of someone of a different religion. I fail to see how this should be applauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sangre wrote:

Why are these to people worthy of praise rather than Thomas who would not believe without proof? Blessed are those who correctly guess the right messiah without proof?

Blessed are those who obey. Thats pretty much it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sangre wrote:

“Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe”. (Jn. 20:25).

Last time I checked it was quite sensible to require substantive proof (where available) before committing to a particular belief (religious or not). Should we be punished for having a critical mind and not putting our reasoning to the test?.

This is a misrepresentation the biblical account of Thomas and his doubting. Let's put Christ's words in context, even if it spoils the age old game of taking Scripture out of context and then mocking it.

Thomas was not being asked to have faith in Christ's resurrection on the basis of zero evidence. He had spent three years with Jesus and had seen numerous miracles, including Jesus raising the dead. He had heard Jesus, on numerous occasions, predict that he was to be handed over to the Romans, executed, and would be raised from the dead. The first two had already occurred exactly as predicted, therefore Thomas should on the basis of all his previous experience of Christ have had the faith to believe that Jesus would also be raised from the dead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Does it not give you doubts that somebody that witnessed all of that doubted Jesus? If he had actually done all that why would Thomas doubt him so much?

Does it not give you doubts that somebody that witnessed all of that doubted Jesus? If he had actually done all that why would Thomas doubt him so much?

No, I have worked with people long enough to know that people do the stupidest things for the stupidest reasons. If Thomas had his little doubting fit, for whatever reason, then I don't see why that should affect my faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Just as little to be said for cynicalness as faith IMO. Don't really understand how people continue to relate passages of the new testament to the theme of obedience either. I was under the understanding that Jesus' teachings were quite undermining of both the Jewish and Roman authorities of the time, can you be both a radical and preach obedience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

indough wrote:
    Just as little to be said for cynicalness as faith IMO. Don't really understand how people continue to relate passages of the new testament to the theme of obedience either. I was under the understanding that Jesus' teachings were quite undermining of both the Jewish and Roman authorities of the time, can you be both a radical and preach obedience?

Yes.

You don't find that a bit contradictory?

To get back to the OP.

The question is: what is it that I have faith in?
    1) The resurrection; no faith needed - it happened, it was reported and written about and never denied by anyone of the time.

2) The Bible; no faith needed, it is the word of God, His communication with us; the owners manual for a healthy human life.

My faith has happened in turning my life over to Jesus, to trust in Him not only for eternal life, but for a life here that is worthy in that my fellow man benefits by my mere presence.

When you skydive; your faith is in the one who packed the chute.
    On bungie jumping; in the manufacturer of the equipment.

I opine that faith is where you trust your life.

indough wrote:

No, one can live a life within a system and bring the message of Christ to an individual.

The message of Christ may be radical for the culture you are in, yet you live in obedience to the authorities.

indough wrote:

'Radical' means 'extreme' or 'favoring or effecting fundamental or revolutionary changes in current practices, conditions, or institutions'. There is no logical contradiction between being radical and obedient. In fact, those who have most often effected such fundamental or revolutionary changes have tended to be those who were highly obedient to some organisation or set of values.

But Christ couldn't spread his message without disobeying the authorities, that's why he was crucified by the Jews and Romans. I think you misunderstood my original post by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

1) The resurrection; no faith needed - it happened, it was reported and written about and never denied by anyone of the time.
    No it wasn't it was written about years after the supposed event.
    2) The Bible; no faith needed, it is the word of God, His communication with us; the owners manual for a healthy human life.
    Which version of the bible?
    Faith and trust are not the same thing, faith is wishful thinking, trust is based on a reasonable expectation that certain standards will be adhered to, if I didn't trust the person who packed my chute I wouldn't get on the plane, if I was already on a plane that was falling out of the sky and someone I didn't trust handed me the last chute I would have to put my faith in him that he packed it correctly

The question is: what is it that I have faith in?

Staggering. Just staggering...
    indough wrote:
    But Christ couldn't spread his message without disobeying the authorities, that's why he was crucified by the Jews and Romans. I think you misunderstood my original post by the way.

Were you responding to me? My post about obedience was a reference to the hierarchical nature of religion. There are the prophets/leaders/priests who write the holy books/receive the visions and there are those who obey them. The reason that faith is considered a virtue is that those with faith are far more likely to be obedient than those with a degree of scepticism.

You gotta think of it in terms of meme theory. A religious doctrine that puts uncritical thinking on a pedestal has a massive advantage over the one that doesn't. Couple that with a caustic intolerance for other religious doctrines and you've got a memetic juggernaut ready to plunge Europe into the Dark Ages...literally.

Zillah wrote:
    Were you responding to me? My post about obedience was a reference to the hierarchical nature of religion. There are the prophets/leaders/priests who write the holy books/receive the visions and there are those who obey them. The reason that faith is considered a virtue is that those with faith are far more likely to be obedient than those with a degree of scepticism.

You gotta think of it in terms of meme theory. A religious doctrine that puts uncritical thinking on a pedestal has a massive advantage over the one that doesn't. Couple that with a caustic intolerance for other religious doctrines and you've got a memetic juggernaut ready to plunge Europe into the Dark Ages...literally.

Yes, sorry there was a bit of misunderstanding there. I understand your view that religion is often used in order to encourage obedience, but I think the particular example of the story of Thomas as was used is not a good example of this. In my own opinion I think that perhaps Jesus was showing his more human side, not liking the fact that he was doubted by a friend, as well as someone who had seen everything (miracles etc) that he had (supposedly) done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sangre wrote:
    Is anyone else here absolutely bamboozled by how various religions have somehow turned 'faith' into an admirable quality?

I think a lot of it has to do with the concept of hope

You will often here theists proclaim that religion is worth it even if it isn't true because it gives hope to those who require it. And people who believe in this hope, who have faith, and doing the best they can.

Now a lot of people here would probably argue that false hope is not a particularly good thing to aspire to promote. But I suppose that is the difference between atheists and theists, the difference between rationality and faith.

The biggest PR problem atheism, or humanism, or rationalism has is that it doesn't give easy or comforting answers. They may be the correct answers, they may be the true answers, but they are often aren't the comforting ones.

Religion on the other hand has the market cornered on comforting answers. And people like this. You will often here people with theistic leanings, simple say "I cannot accept that" when confronted with something like evolution or the big bang. They don't want this these things to be true because they are not comforting answers. And people around this person will hold this non-acceptance as something that is actually good, admire the fact that this person won't let go of his desire to find a comforting answer, because they themselves want there to be a comforting answer.

People like being comforting, being told that things are going to be ok. It is only natural that society would view those who promote these easy answers with admirable qualities, because they also want what they are doing to be true. If they dismissed those who hold out this irrational hope it would be admitting to themselves that in fact the actual answer isn't comforting.

So someone says "I know God will cure my cancer" people around that person go "Isn't it wonderful that this person has so much faith", because the people around them want this belief to be true. They might not believe it as much as the person themselves, but at the same time they don't want to fully admit to themselves that no actually God isn't going to do anything, and the girl is on her own. So they hold the girl up as having admirable qualities, having faith which is good and should be protected.

Of course this backfires a bit when someone says "I know God will drive the infidels from our land".

Then people tend to be less supportive of this faith, despite the fact that it is pretty much exactly the same as the faith of the girl hoping to be cured of cancer.

Of course, theres also the argument that religion is a load of hogwash, and hence without faith it would crumble to pieces, so they do of course have to promote it as a virtue.

Its a bit like promoting good hygeine at a quarantined facility...

PDN wrote:
    Thomas was not being asked to have faith in Christ's resurrection on the basis of zero evidence. He had spent three years with Jesus and had seen numerous miracles, including Jesus raising the dead. He had heard Jesus, on numerous occasions, predict that he was to be handed over to the Romans, executed, and would be raised from the dead. The first two had already occurred exactly as predicted, therefore Thomas should on the basis of all his previous experience of Christ have had the faith to believe that Jesus would also be raised from the dead.

So what is the point in the story? Was Thomas wrong to doubt that someone he saw crucified, stabbed and buried had returned from the dead? Was he wrong to require total proof of the claims about Jesus's resurrection? Is that a bad quality? Again, what is wrong with having a healthy level of skepticism?

He isn't even necessarily doubting Jesus but the claims of his followers. How does he not know they are overcome with grief or hysteria?

Why did God give us capacity for reason and logic if he didn't want us to fully exercise it? How else are we to avoid false prophets or the devil PDN?
    This is a misrepresentation the biblical account of Thomas and his doubting. Let's put Christ's words in context, even if it spoils the age old game of taking Scripture out of context and then mocking it.

Well until God comes down from the heavens and quotes to us, word by word, the exact interprations of the Bible you can shut up with claims of your misinterpretation. Or maybe you can show me a petition where every christian agrees to the same interpretation of the Bible. I'm sure nobody ever disagrees on it, they're all misinterpreting.

I'm not misinterpreting, I have a interpretation different to yours.

And I opine that this isn't an admirable quality to place faith where it isn't warranted. Would I be wise to place faith in a parachute packed by a man who was on bail for the murder of 12 people for filling their parachutes with porridge? No, that was be stupid. In the same way faith based on nothing is stupid. But why is it a good thing the context of religion (any of them).
    zillah wrote:
    Of course, theres also the argument that religion is a load of hogwash, and hence without faith it would crumble to pieces, so they do of course have to promote it as a virtue.

Well, thats what I'd conclude. Why question is how they suceed in making it a virtue?

Bit harsh telling people to shut up don't you think?

My own take would be that it is partly a feature of the communal nature of religion, and partly a result of the belief that without religion there is no morality.

Someone who says "I have strong faith" is saying, in a communal sense "I will not rock the boat, offend the Gods, and cause them to set a pestilence on us". In a personal sense, he's saying "I will not kill you and rape your children, because I strongly believe that God will punish me".

Further, someone who is 'beloved of the Gods' will be expected to be fortunate - and what better way to make the Gods smile on you than to love them, and bend your will to theirs?

Someone who says they have faith, in other words, is saying "I will obey the laws of both Gods and men, bring no disaster, and commit no crime - also, I have the protection of the Gods".

Aristotle's comment:
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side.

covers both points.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I have faith that the scientific method will will eventually provide answers to the question of where the universe came from. Where does that leave me standing?

Is the fact that my belief system requires that I wait an indefinite period of time for the answer to the ultimate question evidence that my belief system is flawed? For that matter, I have a lot of trouble seeing how it's any different, in principle, from many ridicule-worthy religious beliefs?

Sangre wrote:
    Well, thats what I'd conclude. Why question is how they suceed in making it a virtue?

By dominating Europe, and later the United States, both culturally and morally? A terrible legacy that only now we're begining to shake off?

Its the same answer as to why the modern West still has strong currents of homophobia, a fear of the "occult", exorcists and a strong religious influence in politics: They essentially ruled the Western world for a very long time.

And again bear in mind, as both you and I prove, they haven't convinced everyone.

I have faith that the scientific method will will eventually provide answers to the question of where the universe came from. Where does that leave me standing?

Well, you could say that such a statement of faith shows us that you are a good member of the "reality-based community", unlikely to suddenly come at us with acupuncture needles or flavoured water. We can trust you to go to the chemist and get our prescription for us when we're sick, rather than returning with a handful of magical Ayurvedic beans...
    Is the fact that my belief system requires that I wait an indefinite period of time for the answer to the ultimate question evidence that my belief system is flawed? For that matter, I have a lot of trouble seeing how it's any different, in principle, from many ridicule-worthy religious beliefs?

Do you have any evidence that science has provided answers of this kind before? Would you say that science has a good 'track record' in respect of answering questions about the universe? If so, then you're only using the kind of 'faith' that allows you to walk onto one end of the bridge in the expectation of being able to walk off the other.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Its not any different at all. Believing that science has proven itself to be the best method for solving the riddles of the universe, and that it is likely to continue this trend, is not faith.

Believing that it will answer all questions is indeed a faith based belief and no more valid than the assumption of Mary.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    So what is the point in the story? Was Thomas wrong to doubt that someone he saw crucified, stabbed and buried had returned from the dead? Was he wrong to require total proof of the claims about Jesus's resurrection? Is that a bad quality? Again, what is wrong with having a healthy level of skepticism?

He isn't even necessarily doubting Jesus but the claims of his followers. How does he not know they are overcome with grief or hysteria?

Yes, Thomas was wrong to doubt the words of Jesus who had explicitly stated that he would rise from the dead and had, in Thomas' presence, already demonstrated his supernatural powers.
    Why did God give us capacity for reason and logic if he didn't want us to fully exercise it? How else are we to avoid false prophets or the devil PDN?
    Given that Thomas had already seen so many miracles, spent 3 years in the presence of Jesus listening to his teaching, knew that Jesus claimed to be the Messiah etc. - it is entirely consistent with the use of reason and logic for Thomas to have believed Christ when he said he would rise from the dead after 3 days.

I entirely endorse using reason and logic to guard against false teaching or demonic influences. That is why I am using reason and logic to address your OP.
    Well until God comes down from the heavens and quotes to us, word by word, the exact interprations of the Bible you can shut up with claims of your misinterpretation. Or maybe you can show me a petition where every christian agrees to the same interpretation of the Bible. I'm sure nobody ever disagrees on it, they're all misinterpreting.

I'm not misinterpreting, I have a interpretation different to yours.

Your rudeness does little to alleviate the weakness of your argument. All interpretations are not equally valid, because certain interpretations lend themselves to reason and logic. My interpretation takes into account Thomas' previous experience of Jesus and concludes that he had grounds for faith. Your interpretation fails to take such previous experience into account and therefore, on grounds of reason and logic, I reject it as a misinterpretation. I am perfectly entitled to state it as being so. I frequently find other posters on these boards think I am wrong on certain points and are not slow to tell me that I am wrong (in their opinion, of course). I find that the reasonable and logical thing to do is to engage in debate with them, to give reasons and support for my view and to request reasons or support from them for their view. This is IMHO much more reasonable and logical than telling them to shut up.

Advertisement