Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting

Options
  • 23-08-2007 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

So, who's going for the commuting option for College ?

I'm near enough to Carlow - think it's a 40min bus trip, but I can see myself getting annoyed with it after about a month.

Anyone else? Train, Bus, Car?
    Any veterans have some tips for saving a few squid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I hope to be cycling and probably bussing in the rain.

That said i'm not too far away from UCD. The cycle should be about 15/20 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Sean_K wrote:
    I hope to be cycling and probably bussing in the rain.

That said i'm not too far away from UCD. The cycle should be about 15/20 mins

Well for some :)

I was just looking at the bus vs. train prices and the train journey is about the same, but cheaper.
    Only problem is that I then have a 20-25min walk.

Question, what are the chances of bringing a bike on a (non-packed) train, and leaving it in the space between the carrages?
    Any-one seen this done? Would it depend on a sound station worker>

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I opted to live away from home for my 4 years of college and I'm really happy that I did. I felt that those who commuted were missing out as they would have to run off to get a bus home at 6.05. They didn't get the chance to join clubs of societies as most of the events were in the evenings. They also missed the introduction to life that living away from home gives you-living on your own, having to make a budget, interactions with people around them

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

me, 15mins on the bus or 27mins walk to Trinity
    don't wanna cycle 2 college, too dangerious on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I only have a 20-30 minute walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

ThatGuy wrote:

I was just looking at the bus vs. train prices and the train journey is about the same, but cheaper.

Question, what are the chances of bringing a bike on a (non-packed) train, and leaving it in the space between the carrages?

You can do that alright. But you only have to do it once. People leave bikes in Carlow station the whole time. Just make sure its old and crappy so it won't be stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

ive got accomodation in Bishopstown and im in Clonakilty 4 days a week.... so i'll be driving down there myself :rolleyes: anyone know how long that would take every morning and every evening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

carlowboy wrote:
    You can do that alright. But you only have to do it once. People leave bikes in Carlow station the whole time. Just make sure its old and crappy so it won't be stolen.

Will look into that option alright. Thanks.

Going down today to have a gander at the campus / possible accom / etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Just one bus into the ciy centre, not too long

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

Seinas wrote:
    ive got accomodation in Bishopstown and im in Clonakilty 4 days a week.... so i'll be driving down there myself :rolleyes: anyone know how long that would take every morning and every evening??
    I suppose around 50-60 minutes each way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

carlowboy wrote:

old and crappy bicycles do get stolen.
    it happened on me once, i locked my crappy bicycle outside Ilac center and some 1 stole it.
    the bicycle was the ugliest and oldest that u can ever imagine, it was full of rust so i painted it white with normal house paint , it looked really ridiculous. my friends used to laugh at it. when i told them the bicycles was gone, they were shocked at the standard of the inner city hooligans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Hope to get the 66X...bypasses Chapelizod and some even bypass Lucan. The train also is handy for Trinity, but I'm not really able to withstand their crowdedness at peak times. Bus it is, hopefully not longer than a 40 minute commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

60 minute trip for me by car each way.. 75mile round trip daily..

feck the buses.. you have to wait around, get to and from stations in the rain/frost etc...need to get lifts to/from stations every day...

luckily for me i've a car and full license plus a grant which will cover the cost of petrol :)

you can't beat the comfort of your own car.. i reckon it will costs me €50/week in fuel (5days). A bus would cost almost €40 for 5 days return..

add in the fact you'll need to walk to/from stations, you'll be stuck with certain times and left hanging about, plus a bus is slower due to stop offs..

it's a no-brainer really.. staying away will cost about €3000 MORE than staying at home will. Why would i deliberately pay €3k when there's no need for it?

over 3/4 years thats €9-12k i'd have wasted :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

About 14km journey each day, using a car though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

With a 40 minute bus journey, you're luckier than most. Because of where I live, most of the people I know heading to college are at least an hour away and need to get two busses. I'm one of the luckier ones, I got into Trinity so I'm 40 mins-1 hour on a bus or a 30 minute Dart journey. If you're really that pissed with the bus though, buy yourself a cheap bike, or a decent one with a decent lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

About a fifteen minute walk for me.

ThatGuy

I saw on one occasion a bike being brought onto a train, but I don't know where he stored it. All I know is that when I was buying my ticket he was having a laugh with a guy who works at the station, and I guess the driver, so it may just have been a concession for him as it looked like he knew them. I wouldn't hold your breath though as that was off peak, and although it probably isn't allowed in general you'd be more likely to get it on then as the train was running half empty, but around peak times when you'd be going in and out of college I can't see them giving way at all as the trains are bursting as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

From bus stop to college entrance, it'll be about a 50-60 minute journey each way. I'd say 65 minutes from my house to college, incl. the walks involved. Its not too bad, I sleep easily on a bus:D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

ThatGuy wrote:
    So, who's going for the commuting option for College ?

I'm near enough to Carlow - think it's a 40min bus trip, but I can see myself getting annoyed with it after about a month.

Anyone else? Train, Bus, Car?
    Any veterans have some tips for saving a few squid?

where are u commuting from? i'm getting the bus to carlow also. i'm in kilkenny so its like a 30min trip but i'll get sick of it pretty fast i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Commuting here also.

Will be depending on a dodgy bus service until I get motoring. You have to get the bus at eight for a lecture after ten in case the bus at nine wouldn't show or is late :D It's only twenty miles return -- I could walk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

I suppose around 50-60 minutes each way

eurrrrgh yuck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

60 mins each way for me on average:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 curlysue18

I'll be getting two buses, each way... grrrrrrr i hate the bus.
    But mama and papa promised i can have a car soon, once i secure a part time job. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Even a fairly simple journey from Dunshaughlin to Dublin can take ages when traffic is bad (since most people ignore bus lanes). In the mornings it used to take me an hour and in the evenings it took at least an our and a half not to mention the half hour walk to the station. It really made college a pain because who couldn't hang about for fear of missing a bus.

I'd love to get a car but I can't afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I lived at home last year. I had to get a bus and then a DART, which was an absolute pain in the arse. With no waiting time, it took maybe 45/50 minutes, but public transport being as it is, the journey would rarely take less than an hour - sometimes up to an hour and a half, twice a day. And even worse, miss the bus by a few minutes and I'd have to wait 30/40 minutes for the next one, making me horribly late. You get used to it, and it's a good place to catch up on some work or chat with friends, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

This year, I'm really hoping to move into town - for social reasons more than anything else. It's not so much that I couldn't go out in town, because trains run late, nitelinks are great and there's always somewhere to stay in town if needs be, but I really didn't like the divide between home and college the journey put in my day. The number of times I'd finish lectures at 3 or 4, or earlier, and be invited somewhere that evening (well, maybe it didn't happen that often - I'm not very popular :( - but it certainly happened a few times!) is enough to make me want to live in town. As exciting as Dublin City is, hanging around for four hours a day between college and going out gets a bit tedious.

To have a nice apartment nearby would be fantastic for so many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I'd love to move close to college but I can't find any accommodation which doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

As is I'm stuck with public transport so what I have to weigh up is - is two or three hours travel less hassle then needing money for rent,bills and food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

it depends. If you're lucky enough to be able to use your time on the bus/train effectively, then the commute is perfect for you. If that time is just cut right out of your schedule and not used though, then it's a major sacrifice IMO...

no commute for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

GDM wrote:
    I'd love to move close to college but I can't find any accommodation which doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

As is I'm stuck with public transport so what I have to weigh up is - is two or three hours travel less hassle then needing money for rent,bills and food?

It's definitely less hassle, I would say. Moving out, for me at least, will certainly involve getting a job and having to cut back on certain luxeries like, say, breakfast. It all depends on the individual and what you want out of college. You might find that you don't really like your course or your college, you might prefer your friends at home so it's a bit of a risk to be moving away from them and into town - especially as it's probably too late to get college accommodation with other students (EDIT: Actually it may not be).

I'd say the best thing to do would be to give it a year. See how you like college, if you'd be happy to spend the majority of your time in and around your college and being with people from college. I feel, to an extent, that I've lost a year of college by living at home (and I may well lose another one if I can't rustle up enough to move out this year) but at the same time I might well be miserable living away from mammy's homecooked meals and clean clothes. If it's a straight choice between living at home and moving out, I'd recommend risking the latter, but if it's a load of hassle to move out - give it a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

ThatGuy wrote:

if its a commuter train, in the morning, and evening, there will be bearly room to breeth, never mind bring a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

About 3 minutes walk from my room on campus.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

carlowboy wrote:
    About 3 minutes walk from my room on campus.;)
    what college are you in?

Advertisement