Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to set up on my own... advice please

Options
  • 23-08-2007 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been developing basic and e-commerce websites for the last two years, mainly for myself, as a hobby and for family. I'm thinking of turning it into a business and am looking for advice.

Some of the specific questions I have are:

- Does anyone have a feel for the demand for e-commerce websites and e-commerce consultancy?
    - What is the environment like for an individual trying to go it alone out there? Does he have a chance?

I'm not talking about ditching everything and going for it, but am, rather, looking for a strategy over a year or so, for putting myself in a good position to compete.

Anyone any advice?

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum... I couldn't find a better one!

Cheers,

Jody

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

- Does anyone have a feel for the demand for e-commerce websites and e-commerce consultancy?

I would say that having a web presence is part of day to day business and doing business through that site is quite common. So there is a demand just as there is a demand for most business services, its really about how you sell yourself to potential clients.
    - What is the environment like for an individual trying to go it alone out there? Does he have a chance?
    An individual does have a chance, most of the people I've encountered doing something similar depend on contract work (through agencies) for their bread and butter in their first few years of business. Contracting depends on the skills you have. What languages and technologies are you familiar with?
    Anyone any advice?
    Build up a portfolio, work on any skills that you may need or that have a demand in the market place, write a business plan and take it from there. Really what you're selling is your skills and ability - you'll be more of a services company in that respect. Network and build up contacts. Oh and get an accountant if you go for it, doing your own taxes is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Evil Phil wrote:
    Oh and get an accountant if you go for it, doing your own taxes is a bad idea.

Seconded!

Advertisement