Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Germany - Was there a lot of booing?

• 23-08-2007 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so i saw just the 1st 20 minutes or so of the England versus Germany game last night, and the one thing i noticed at start was that when they sang the anthems an awful lot of people (i presume english) booed throughout the German national anthem...

It was never mentioned at all, but did anyone else notice this? Disgraceful carry on if you ask me...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I expected nothing less :mad: Disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

they always do it regardless of what country theyt are playing aginast. shower or cnuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Mike Ingham on 5Live mentioned it. He said it was a disgrace and called them idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

They're an absolute embarassment. As soon as the German anthem started they were at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If we were to play England in Croke Park (football)

pretty sure ''God Save The Queen'' would be booed.

Shocking behaviour, for such a great sport, it sure does attract its fair share of Knobhead supporters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

It didnt get booed for the rugby game. Irish fans & people in general are more respectful to everyone

Rugby and Football attract different types of people.

I wouldn't be so confident about the football crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

evil_seed wrote:
    they always do it regardless of what country theyt are playing aginast. shower or cnuts

So are you saying all England supporters are the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

id imagine it'd be the same here

if we played england in soccer there would be booing of their anthem

christ, a few years ago a few idiots booed some lad cos he played for rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

evil_seed wrote:
    Irish fans & people in general are more respectful to everyone
    Don't be so naive. Ireland has it's fair share of morons too. The same type of morons that boo ex Rangers players at Irish matches.

The reason why GSTQ wasn't booed at the rugby match in Croke Park was because rugby attracts a different crowd.

• Advertisement

evil_seed wrote:
    Irish fans & people in general are more respectful to everyone

This is hilarious. Do you actually live in Ireland? We're cnuts! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

This is hilarious. Do you actually live in Ireland? We're cnuts! :)
    Irish people, and fans in general, are more respectful. I've been to quite a few internationals (Soccer and Rugby) here and I have never heard anything but respect for foreign national anthems (including the English one).

You're talking about a what if scenario with what if people, a bit like saying that if talked my aunt had balls tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

BaZmO* wrote:
    The same type of morons that boo ex Rangers players at Irish matches.

So your calling me a moron

s8n wrote:
    Haha.

Well if you're one of those morons that booed ex Rangers players at Lansdowne well then yes I suppose I am.

Also didnt these idiots boo a young player who was making his debut, because they thought it was someone else who played for rangers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

s8n wrote:
    Oh goody. Yipee Do.

Anyone who boo-ed ex Rangers players at an Ireland international match is a moron.

If you are admitting to partaking of this activity, I'd love to know what the reasons for it are, I really would.

I mean Rangers are a Scottish team, what possible reason would you have for booing an ex player of theirs?

As for the complete arsehole, limp brained, tosspot, ****érs who boo-ed the Danish guy in Landsdowne when the stadium announcer got the name wrong, well, there is nothing to be said. They should be ashamed of their pathetic little lives, them and the people who boo Rangers players and ex Rangers players.

I expect no answer however. I think people like you are unable to face up to reality, and will ignore the questions.

second that :)

well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

evil_seed wrote:
    It didnt get booed for the rugby game. Irish fans & people in general are more respectful to everyone

It's disgraceful and it is deeply embarrassing for most England fans. Remember there were 90,000 there and it is possible that less than 5% were booing (Although I didn;t see or hear the game so I can't say that with any great conviction). I'm not using that as an excuse, just pointing out that once again it is probably the minority giving the majority a bad name.

Let me share my experiences with you and see what you think.

If I wear my Pompey shirt, people talk to me about Portsmouth. If I wear my England Rugby jersey, I get stick and reminded that Ireland have beaten England a few times, at which point I mention we are still world champions and we have a laugh and go our seperate ways.

If I wear my England football shirt, I will always get someone pass comment like look at that cnut, or you've got a fcuking nerve (Once people realise that a redshirt with Rooney written in gold on the back is not a Man U one:rolleyes: ). Football for some reason seems to attract disrespectful people and if you think that does ot include Ireland, I believe you are mistaken.

second that :)

well said

STOP IT.

Stop agreeing with me.

:)

Can't help it Des, you're talking sense today,hard to believe i know! don't worry, i'm sure you'll return to a LOI nut again tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm in the same boat as Fratton Fred, wearing the Norwich jersey you get the odd compliment for not supporting any of the "big teams". Wearing the England shirt and it's 99% racist comments hurled at you. It's a bit ironic how people here are disgusted at some booing yet outside of football they'd say that it's right to boo the English national anthem.

I'm Irish yet I wear the England jersey, I've been to Wembley a couple of times now to watch England and the next match is the Israel game on the 8th of September. People ask me why I bother and my answers are a) I'm not racist, b) I like football and will watch any game and c) I'm in London that weekend anyway so I picked up a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Two reasons

1- Not as many people care about rugby as football

2- Ireland-England rugby doesnt have the same level of rivalry I wouldnt think (whatever, I dont know, I tried getting into it around the croker first games when everyone and their granny became an overnight hardcore rugger head but I just couldnt get massively excited by it, watching 9 lads crushed on top of each other trying to get a ball somewhere underneath, and staying like this for what seems like an eternity, i dunno :) )

Its probably who deserves to say what. If an England rugby fan were to confidently say they were going to win the world cup, or the 6 nations or whatever else, theyd probably have good reason to. Out of all the countries in the world, there are only the six nations and the three from the southern hemisphere who have any chance at all. But when people see the England football jersey, we just think back to numerous tournaments full of drunken bare chested In-ger-land heads waffling to the cameras that the Germans are utter crap and England are going to win the tournament. People who, unlike the Irish, the Scots, the Aussies and some African supporters, are there on an agressive buzz, rather than to have the craic. The 1995 landsdowne incident and reports oif alot of anti Irish chants and threats in Frankfurt over the summer lead people to think its a minority, but quite a large minority. England soccer fans have a rep for being too cocky on the chances of victory without any good reason to do so.

Its for pretty much all of the above that I am an ABU as well :) As an Irish man I could easily wear a French, Dutch, Portuguese etc jersey but not an English one. Nothing to do with the 800 years blah blah blah, just the exact same reason Id happily wear nearly any prem jersey* bar Man U- fanbase cockyness.

*:Id include Chelsea in that. Fair enough, cockier than...eh, cock, but you cant bate Jose and his "I am Jose, we are good, if you dont like it go **** your mother" attitude :) Cocky, but with the right style to pull it off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

s8n wrote:
    Well if were booing then yes he is and allow me to do the same, idiot

Sorry, moron

shane86 wrote:
    Two reasons

2- Ireland-England rugby doesnt have the same level of rivalry I wouldnt think (whatever, I dont know, I tried getting into it around the croker first games when everyone and their granny became an overnight hardcore rugger head but I just couldnt get massively excited by it, watching 9 lads crushed on top of each other trying to get a ball somewhere underneath, and staying like this for what seems like an eternity, i dunno :) )

Its probably who deserves to say what. If an England rugby fan were to confidently say they were going to win the world cup, or the 6 nations or whatever else, theyd probably have good reason to. Out of all the countries in the world, there are only the six nations and the three from the southern hemisphere who have any chance at all. But when people see the England football jersey, we just think back to numerous tournaments full of drunken bare chested In-ger-land heads waffling to the cameras that the Germans are utter crap and England are going to win the tournament. People who, unlike the Irish, the Scots, the Aussies and some African supporters, are there on an agressive buzz, rather than to have the craic. The 1995 landsdowne incident and reports oif alot of anti Irish chants and threats in Frankfurt over the summer lead people to think its a minority, but quite a large minority. England soccer fans have a rep for being too cocky on the chances of victory without any good reason to do so.

Its for pretty much all of the above that I am an ABU as well :) As an Irish man I could easily wear a French, Dutch, Portuguese etc jersey but not an English one. Nothing to do with the 800 years blah blah blah, just the exact same reason Id happily wear nearly any prem jersey* bar Man U- fanbase cockyness.

*:Id include Chelsea in that. Fair enough, cockier than...eh, cock, but you cant bate Jose and his "I am Jose, we are good, if you dont like it go **** your mother" attitude :) Cocky, but with the right style to pull it off :D
    :confused:

You'd boo the English anthem, yet wear any English Premier League jersey.

Am I reading that right, or am I missing something. Because, y'know, the majority of them English lads also support an English club, possibly even a Premier League one. Yes, I realise the majority of the EPL fanbase is Irish, Thai and Malay.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Where did I say I booed the anthem?:confused: Personally I havent taken part in such activity since a schools soccer tournament when I was around 15 when we behaved in a rather unsporting manner during a match with Blackrock College (BLACK-ROCK SUCK COCK, ah genius chants :D). Some also heaped abuse on a then younger and, im nearly certain, redder haired than now Mark Vaughan . I was simply replying to Fred when he asked why some people have a thing with seeing the England jersey in Ireland.

shane86 wrote:

out of curiosity, do you speak Dutch, Portugese or French and have you ever seen interviews with groups of Portugese, French or Dutch fans?

Maybe your view is clouded by Irelands proximity (ignoring history) and sharing of a common language/media?

Maybe you have also missed the Dutch/Ajax fans rampaging or the Portugese fans booing black players?

Just asking like;)

shane86 wrote:
    Where did I say I booed the anthem?:confused:
    Fair enough, I'm kinda busy in work, I just skimmed over your post.

In fairness, I did ask if I was reading it right.

:)

Last time I gave stick at a football match was a few weeks ago, calling some regional eLoIDiv1 team sheep shaggers.

I'm 27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

shane86 wrote:
    Two reasons

2- Ireland-England rugby doesnt have the same level of rivalry I wouldnt think

Ireland were playing England in Rugby about 50 years before the FAI were even setup, just because the two sets of fans don't have be segragated, respect each others national anthems & players, and can have a drink with each other after the match doesn't mean there's any less rivalary involved.

The fact that we've beat England routeinly over the last few years doesn't make it any less sweet, especially running up a record win in Croke Park earlier this year.

zabbo wrote:
    The fact that we've beat England routeinly over the last few years doesn't make it any less sweet, especially running up a record win in Croke Park earlier this year.
    I suggest you make the most of it......:D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I suggest you make the most of it......:D

Oh we will... we'll have to. A country of 4 million won't be able to compete for long against a country of ... what is it 60 million? We'll be back to the days of hopefully beating Scotland and Wales and if we do it was a good championship. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

DesF wrote:

Last time I gave stick at a football match was a few weeks ago, calling some regional eLoIDiv1 team sheep shaggers.
    So did you beat Monaghan that night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

NotWormBoy wrote:
    Oh we will... we'll have to. A country of 4 million won't be able to compete for long against a country of ... what is it 60 million? We'll be back to the days of hopefully beating Scotland and Wales and if we do it was a good championship. :)
    Whats the population of New Zealand again ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Ah, go on feck off, national sport and all ;-)

Pighead wrote:
    It was Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

DesF wrote:
    It was Dundalk.
    Somebody ban this raving lunatic.:mad:
    I'll get me dad eh I mean Maxi after you.

Pighead wrote:
    I'll get me dad eh I mean Maxi after you.
    Fire away.

Pighead wrote:
    Lol
    zabbo wrote:
    Whats the population of New Zealand again ? ;)
    + ZING +++1
    DesF wrote:
    Sigh :rolleyes:

Hobart wrote:
    Sigh :rolleyes:
    wtf is your problem?

I see you forgot to quote the ':D ' in my post.

The rolleyes make you look very cool by the way.

Here's a few more, can I be as cool as you.....please?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DesF wrote:
    wtf is your problem?

I see you forgot to quote the ':D ' in my post.

The rolleyes make you look very cool by the way.

Here's a few more, can I be as cool as you.....please?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :
    I've no problem tbh. You should be less touchy than you appear to be. I just find your linking too another forum a bit well........silly tbh. Given the fact that you accused another poster of "booing the anthem" when he clearly stated nothing of the kind, I find it ironic that you accuse me of omission!!

Anyhow :eek: :o:p;):D <= There you go, just in-case you feel left out.

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    Given the fact that you accused another poster of "booing the anthem" when he clearly stated nothing of the kind,
    Accuse?
    DesF wrote:
    :confused:

You'd boo the English anthem <snip>

Am I reading that right, or am I missing something
    Important part bolded.
    DesF wrote:
    Fair enough, I'm kinda busy in work, I just skimmed over your post.

In fairness, I did ask if I was reading it right.

Perhaps you should read all of the posts in a thread before having a go.

Hobart wrote:
    I find it ironic that you accuse me of omission!!
    Are you trying to say you didn't leave out a part of my post. Quite an important part tbh, as it showed that what I did was a joke of sorts. Maybe not to your tastes, but hey, maybe to no-one's tastes.
    Hobart wrote:
    I just find your linking too another forum a bit well........silly tbh.

Yeah? So do I tbh, hence the Big Green Smiley Face in my post, which you missed.

Here, it looks like this

:D:D:D
    Hobart wrote:
    Anyhow :eek: :o:p;):D <= There you go, just in-case you feel left out.
    Yeah, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If I wear my Pompey shirt, people talk to me about Portsmouth. If I wear my England Rugby jersey, I get stick and reminded that Ireland have beaten England a few times, at which point I mention we are still world champions and we have a laugh and go our seperate ways.

If I wear my England football shirt, I will always get someone pass comment like look at that cnut, or you've got a fcuking nerve (Once people realise that a redshirt with Rooney written in gold on the back is not a Man U one:rolleyes: ). Football for some reason seems to attract disrespectful people and if you think that does ot include Ireland, I believe you are mistaken.

Unfortunately Fred, football attracts a higher proportion of knuckle-heads than most other team sports, said knuckle-heads are probably unable to identify an England rugby shirt so you remain off their radar.

DesF wrote:
    Accuse?
    Yep, Accuse.

Important part bolded.
    I had read that part. It's a bit like saying, I disagree with everything you say, however, I might not read everything you say, and by the way you are a bigot (OH!!!! no you are not, I haven't read it!!!!OMG!! FCUK!!!)
    Perhaps you should read all of the posts in a thread before having a go.
    I did.
    Are you trying to say you didn't leave out a part of my post. Quite an important part tbh, as it showed that what I did was a joke of sorts. Maybe not to your tastes, but hey, maybe to no-one's tastes.
    Edited to reflect your true meaning http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53816428&postcount=39
    Yeah? So do I tbh, hence the Big Green Smiley Face in my post, which you missed.
    I didn't miss it, I left it out tbh.
    Here, it looks like this

:D:D:D
    Well done.

Yeah, thanks for that.
    I'm just leaving this part in so you don't "accuse me" of leaving anything out.

I never attacked the poster tbh.

eta :

Oh, and how very noble of you to defend the honour of that other poster you feel was so horribly wronged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They should have reserved the booing for the manager/team (delete as applicible).

As for booing an ex Rangers player, remember the "Right to Boo" campaign? If I recall right, a few here backed it.

Mike.

DesF wrote:
    I never attacked the poster tbh.

I never accused you of attacking anybody. Don't be so sensitive. My initial point was the only point that I was trying to make i.e. that I find the whole conversation vis-a-vis comparing rugby fans to soccer fans a bit silly (emphasised by your linking to said forum) I used your point and the rollyeyes as a manifestation of my small but niggling frustration, apologies if it hurt you.

eta :
    ?
    Oh, and how very noble of you to defend the honour of that other poster you feel was so horribly wronged.
    Cheers, appreciate it.

Well if were booing then yes he is and allow me to do the same, idiot

Sorry, moron

Boo

mike65 wrote:
    They should have reserved the booing for the manager/team (delete as applicible).

As for booing an ex Rangers player, remember the "Right to Boo" campaign? If I recall right, a few here backed it.

Mike.

Good point Mike, we did indeed. Let that be an end to it.

s8n wrote:
    Boo
    It took you a whole day to come up with that? :rolleyes:

Advertisement