Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on convertible value

Options
  • 23-08-2007 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking of buying an 05/06 Saab 9-3 convertible. In the UK it looks like they hold their value well, but what's the irish market like. I've read that sales of new convertibles have risen by 29% in the last year or so but I think that's primarily due to cars such as the Peugeot 307 / megane / micra CC etc.

Would the 9-3 (not the old ugly duckling model) hold up its price well here and would it be difficult to sell privately in a year or two given that most advertised are through dealers?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Limited market for soft top cars here. Quite simply we don't have enough good weather.

Theft and damage are other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Limited market for soft top cars here.

Dunno if I agree with that, I have heard we have one of the strongest soft top markets in europe.

The main problem is that most soft tops are sold to Ladies who are looking for a fashion statement, one of the most important things being the 'Brand New' reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The rule of thump when looking at soft tops is buy one in the winter and sell one in the summer.

They are cheaper to buy in the winter months as they are out of fashion due to the obvious elements.

Countries like Ireland and the UK are perfect for convertibles imo, I hired an A4 cabrio in the Canaries a couple of years ago and it was a mistake as it was simply too hot to drive around with the hood down. The seats and steering wheel were roasting along with ourselves. We put the hood up just for the shade.

Incidently the UK has the largest volume of soft top sales in Europe and their climate is not much different to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

The new model 9-3's hold their value well here - as do all convertibles that ain't too old.

The problem with the older 9-3 is that it really is a generation behind the CLK, A4 and 3 series convertible with regard to dynamics - therefore residuals are justifiably weak. (Just drive one you'll find out)
    Take a look at a 03/04 A4 conv or 3series BMW for an idea of how well they do compared to tin top models.
    (Although I know the A4 2.4 suffers -but thats because of the 1.8T being as quick and much cheaper to run.)

Spec is very important and no leather, manual roof yokes really will drop like a stone.
    Some paper I saw recently had a article saying verts is where the smart money goes - sorry didn't get to read the rest.

Edit : I meant to add though - you are correct, they hold their value very well in UK - it made it not worth my while buying my one there, I just bought in depts of winter here - saved a packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

AFIAK Ireland has one of the highest per capita ownerships of convertibles in Europe.
    I have mine for nealy 6 years & it has not been vandalised. I do make a bit of an effort not to park it anywhere dodgy but have left it on the street overnight in Cork city a few times & plenty of other places besdies.

This summer has been the worst one since I bought the car. Every other year I seemed to have plenty of opportunity to get the top down. I haven't really driven it this year (have it out today though);).
    It's normally guys that have them too, el except maybe the Tigra, Magane type ones.
    When selling a convertible the best trime of the year is early summer. It can be a bit harder to sell them at any other time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My other concern is in selling a high value car privately say > 35K as I would think that people spending that kind of money on a car would prefer to buy from a dealer for the security of a warranty. I like the Saab convertible as it looks way much better than the saloon.

Advertisement