Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie, need advice!

• 23-08-2007 11:18am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy. First time GPS poster!

Im considering getting a GPS for my new car (having seen a TomTom in action recently) but dont know where to begin!

Im living in ireland but would like something that can be updated (for free preferrably) from online downloads (Maps etc) and something that can be used abroad if need be.

Can someone point me in the right direction please? I also have a nokia N73. Would it be better for me to get software for my phone?

I want to avoid goin to a store to ask for advice as i really do know very little about the brands etc bar what i saw in action on the TomTom. Thanks!

As for price, keep it under 400 lids max please!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ok even a website with information will do. Or tell me what GPS you currently use please? Any info at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don't think you'll get anything with free map updates. You can appreciate that map updates are an attractive revenue stream for any company - not to mention the fact that they cost a lot to update. Both TomTom and Garmin seem to provide free software updates though. I don't know anything at all about the other manufacturers.

Regarding a website with information, you're on one now :-). Why not read through the posts here for a start and see what people are saying about the different brands and models.

I'm waiting on delivery of a TomTom Go 720 at the moment. I obviously can't fully comment on it yet as I haven't used it in the real world, but it ticked all the boxes for me:

Decent maps (with full Western Europe coverage)
    Excellent user interface
    Bluetooth (handsfree phone use, etc)
    Text to speech
    built in FM transmitter (audio over car's speaker system)
    iPod control (optional extra)
    software is Mac compatible
    decent screen size and clarity
    not too bulky

unfortunately, the 720 is over 400 euro at present, so it might not suit you.

I'm sure there was a Garmin unit that would have done me too - but since the TomTom fitted the bill so well, I stopped my search there.

but these were the things that were important to me. Telling us exactly what's important to you might give people a bit more to work on in offering you advice. For instance, what did you think of the TomTom you saw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I got a garmin 310D and I use it everyday ,its a tidy unit.
    The bluetooth handsfree option is very handy ,which isn't on the tom tom one as far as I know.

I'd definetly recommend the handsfree units ,if you can get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320968

Tomtom go 910, have this myself and has both european and US maps.

That price with Komplett 399+shipping is a great price for this unit.

All the usual, bluetooth car kit, hard disk to store your music.

Up to date Irish maps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

dingding wrote:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320968

Tomtom go 910, have this myself and has both european and US maps.

That price with Komplett 399+shipping is a great price for this unit.

All the usual, bluetooth car kit, hard disk to store your music.

Up to date Irish maps

thats the one i saw in action! ;)

Looks like i will start with this one. Thanks for all your advice ppl. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

faceman wrote:
    thats the one i saw in action! ;)

Looks like i will start with this one. Thanks for all your advice ppl. :)

from that page in RED

Tomtom covers the maps of Europe except for Ireland! No european charger included, only a carcharger.

zabbo wrote:
    from that page in RED

Tomtom covers the maps of Europe except for Ireland! No european charger included, only a carcharger.

oopsie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

zabbo wrote:
    from that page in RED

A charger can be bought on eBay for a penny with about 8 euro for postage from England.

I have TomTom Go 910 for about 3 weeks now and I love it. Coverage has been fine sofar. Got me around some heavy traffic on a few occasions. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

My TOMTOM Go 910 has great coverage in Ireland, house nos in housing estates all over the place.

Not sure why that comment is there.

I got it for the US maps and was plesantly supprised with the level of detail when I got it home.

I did not buy it in Komplett, I got it in dublin airport duty free.

Also mine came with a mains lead, with interchangable plugs for US, european and irish sockets

Advertisement