Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI FireGL cards (can they play games?)

Options
  • 23-08-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

It looks like I will be getting a ATI FireGL graphics card (one of this years version cards) for work and was wondering if someone knows if I can use a FireGL card to play games too like Bioshock etc.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I would expect a €2,000 euro graphics card to be able to play games but with chipset compatibilities im not sure.

All the best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes they can although obviously not being orientated for such there is typically about a 5-10% performance decrease (maybe more dependent on game) against its equivalent Radeon card. But still. As long as its a good one it'll be fine with games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

I have the nvidia equivalent a Quadro FX 2500M and it has no problem running any game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I know you can get driver hacks for the nvidia quaddro cards, but im not sure about the ati fireGL cards. I dont see why not though. Have a look on google, you might find something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

As Havok pointed out the FireGL drivers are optimized for professional apps even though the core is the same as the ones of the regular cards.

If you wish to use the Catalyst drivers download the DH ModTool application and it will mod the drivers to support all ATI cards.

The first step is to run the Catalyst installer and it will say card not supported and quit (or manually extract driver yourself). Now run the ModTool and point it at the folder the driver extracted to and it will mod the inf files. Finally go into the folder and run the setup.exe to install the driver.

* Although the Cat 7.8 are the current official, there is a newer driver specifically for Bioshock.

* If you use the Catalyst drivers you may lose some features/benefits the pro drivers provide for the applications the card was intended for.

Advertisement