Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting Spare Key(s) for Toyota Yaris...Very Complicated or Straightforward?

Options
  • 23-08-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My 99 Yaris/Vitz only came with one key (with inbuilt remote).

Sometimes the car seems to lock by itself while I'm inside so I'm pretty sure that eventually I'm going to lock the keys in so I'd like a spare.

Now I know you can get Toyota to do official spares at a high cost and I think I also read that if you get a spare key cut that it will not start the car, is this right?

But would a cheap spare key (just cut in a Mr Mint or equivalent) be able to just open the doors (so that if I lock the keys in I can open the door)?

I've read about various methods on the internet for adding keys, it involves turning keys a certain number of times, opening and closing doors etc, but none of it made such sense.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

blobert wrote:

But would a cheap spare key (just cut in a Mr Mint or equivalent) be able to just open the doors (so that if I lock the keys in I can open the door)?

Correct. You don't need a coded immobiliser key to lock/unlock the car using the lock cylinder in the door.

Some locksmiths like Crothers can supply and code an immobiliser key for a lot less than the main dealer. It would be handy to have in case you lost your key! Give them a call 01 456 7947. I got keys cut & coded with them years ago. I don't know if they can do keys for all makes and models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Got a key cut and coded by Crothers over in Walkinstown yesterday for a Volvo V40 - Cost me 55 all in. Another lad got a key and code job done for 40.... It appears to depend on the make/model of car. Good service though - Done while I waited without any fuss.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The battery going could cause the doors to close like that!! Replace it and see how it goes.

You should have gotten 2 immobiliser keys and one that isn't so there really is no need to get extra keys cut!!

Jap imports often come programmed to lock the doors automatically after a certain period of time - Usually a few minutes after the immobiliser circuit is activated. The OP's quite right to want a new key cut, but as it's one of those 'flat' type keys, it makes sense to have it coded too, as it's already going to cost a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Get one done by Crothers or there is a place near Camden St too (The Key Hole maybe?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Jap imports often come programmed to lock the doors automatically after a certain period of time - Usually a few minutes after the immobiliser circuit is activated.

It might well be that as the car seems to be in great condition so I don't think its a fault.

Are there any other Crothers other than the one in Walkinstown?

Thanks for all the replies.

I've also used Brown Brothers out in Dun Laoighre in the past - Another good locksmith I found. Don't know if that's any more readily accessible for you? Where are you, in case anyone knows a local smith who can help....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Dublin 6: Rathgar/Rathmines/Ranelagh/Terenure area would suit perfectly.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That place on Camden Street is close enough to you. I'm fairly sure it's called The Key Hole. It's down the lane by that pub The Cusack Stand.

Edit: Here you go. http://www.goldenpages.ie/detailsSearch.ds?detailsListingId=IE_10162619_9999_1001&tab=

Right, from the crossroads at the Terenure end of Templeogue village, drive towards Walkinstown roundabout.....Is it Templeville Road?...Drive down past the school on the right with the high red brick wall outside (don't know the name), past the Statoil on the right, past the Esso on your right, and turn into the row of shops on the right, a good bit before the 'wall of death' Walkinstown roundabout. The one furthest on the right of the row is Crothers Locksmiths. Sorted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Is it Templeville Road?...Drive down past the school on the right with the high red brick wall outside (don't know the name)

Yep - it's Templeville Road and the school is Templeogue College (opposite St. Mary's RFC) :)

Advertisement