Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 5300 - Cracked Screens

• 23-08-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a 6 day old Nokia 5300 and the screen is already cracked on it. I'll be honest I did let it fall but i was bending down to pick something up and it slipped out of my pocket so the fall was no more than about a foot, and it was onto a laminate wood floor, so the impact couldn't have been too severe.

I've done a bit of googling and I now see that this seems to be a fairly common problem with these phones. I rang a nokia repair center and they are looking for €85 to fix the screen, but surely this should be covered under warranty if the design on the screen is dodgy? I've actually met two mates since and they both experienced the same problem with the phone/screen. One had the phone in his pocket, there was no impact he was aware of, took it out and the screen was in bits.

I've had plenty of nokia's before that has taken a lot more punishment and there's no way I'm forking out over half the price of the phone to repair a dodgy screen that's liable to crack again. Has anybody had any luck getting nokia to repair these without charge, i'd even give a lash changing the screen myself, as I know you can pick them up on ebay.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Nokia wont do anything... they'll never admit a design flaw.. even tho there is enough of them with other models...

you could go the cheap route and but a screen off ebay and replace it yourself... it's pretty easy, just buy a screen that comes with a free T6 screwdriver...

And if you do it right - nokia will never know and you'll still have your warranty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Your dropped your phone. It broke. Buy a new one or pay for the repair :'(

Could also look and see if it's covered on your hosue insurance ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I would drop it into wherever you bought it and ask them to send it away. There is an issue with those screens and Nokia are repairing genuine screen faults under warranty. As it is, you admitted you dropped it, and regardless of how you think it should have been affected, the fact stands that it was physically damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

ciaranfo wrote:
    Your dropped your phone. It broke. Buy a new one or pay for the repair :'(

Could also look and see if it's covered on your hosue insurance ..

Thanks your helpful and insightful comments. :rolleyes:

I had no problem admitting that I dropped it and will pay for a replacement if needs be but just don't want to pay for a new screen and for it to break so easily again in future. I'm just checking if anybody has been in a similar situation with these phones and the thread may alert somebody who was thinking of buying one that the screens are very delicate on them.

Spoke to a guy in the meteor shop yesterday and he said that they are sending back any 5300's with a cracked screen as Nokia seem to have admitted that their is some sort of flaw with them, although the Nokia repair centers up in Dublin won't advertise this fact to you and will try to get you to pay them to replace it for you.
    Also spoke to a friend and the Nokia repair center in Limerick fixed his free of charge, so may just drop it in there when I'm down home next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

I have the exact same problem with my 5200 which is basically the same as the 5300 (i think:confused: )

Basically I put it onto my pocket and took it out a few minutes later and the screen was gone. The was no impact atall. The screen hasnt broken as such, theres no cracks on the outside of it anyway, although the more I look at it the more it looks like its cracked from the underside if it. Anyway its gone all bloby and multicolured and im not happy :mad: Its exactly a month old and I brought it back to Vodafone who said it would cost about 70euro to fix!!

And now im wondering what I should do next? Should I contact Nokia and complain and see what they say?

Or go the ebay route and try and fix it?? Which couldnt be to hard lol

Im at a loss now and stuck using a 3510i:eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Just an update on this:

Took it the meteor store and they were very helpful. Appartently Nokia have admitted that there is a fault with these screens and that an email was circulated amongst the shops last week alerting them to this.
    The lad in the shop sent my phone off to Nokia and am waiting to hear back (he said it would be up to 10 working days).
    So if any of you have experienced screens cracking very easily/leaking on the 5300 (I assume the 5200 is the same) then just take them into the meteor store where you bought it and they should help you out.

Will let you know how i get on with Nokia.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Tinytony wrote:
    Just an update on this:

Took it the meteor store and they were very helpful. Appartently Nokia have admitted that there is a fault with these screens and that an email was circulated amongst the shops last week alerting them to this.
    The lad in the shop sent my phone off to Nokia and am waiting to hear back (he said it would be up to 10 working days).
    So if any of you have experienced screens cracking very easily/leaking on the 5300 (I assume the 5200 is the same) then just take them into the meteor store where you bought it and they should help you out.

Will let you know how i get on with Nokia.

Did you mention to them it was dropped? Cos if you did they are doing you a big favour by sending it off for you. :) Nice to hear a good luck story with a phone
    !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

Ok I deided to take a risk and go the ebay way and buy a new lcd sreen for my 5200. I found a video on youtube which showed the phone being taken apart and when it didn't look too compliated I said id give it a go. Bought the screen on Monday and got it on Friday. It cost 18euro delivered more or less. Anyway it took bout 5 mins max to change it and now I have a working 5200 again thank God.

Advertisement