Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 2008

• 23-08-2007 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm going to America next year on the J1 and was wondering where's the best place to go for jobs/craic in general?I know people that have been to Boston and they said it was deadly but I'd like to hear from people that have been to San Fran/San Diego?

Basically which is better east or west coast?

Also has anyone bypassed the whole usit/go4less administration and done all the sevis and paperwork themselves and if so is it worth the hassle for the savings you make?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Dont go with usit or go4less, and go to montauk (or similarly redondo beach, ocean city or wildwood), plenty of jobs, sun and very easy on i.d and the best nights out. People who go to the cities tend to have a less fun time but still a great experience and the west coast will leave you in debt as it has with many of my friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Hey I travelled with USIT and found it really handy. Got covered with insurance for fear i'd fail my exmas and need to go home(didn't). It's just easier have thm book flights and sort your first nights accomodation.

I went to San Francisco and had the time of my lif. It's such an amazing place! The people are lovely and the city is a real melting pot of nationalties. Everybody is chilled out and really sound. If you decide to go, make sure you have accomodation found as in San Fran it is really difficult for J1ers to rent because of the bad rep.

You should definitely avoid San Diego esp if you are under 21. Very hard to go out down there apparently. Santa Barbara don't want j1ers any more and doing there level best to deter the Irish. Lots of conviction for drunk and disorderly.

San fran is way more rerlaxed and you can go to a different bar or club every night. Loads of festivals gay pride, jazz etc. Something for all.

Now i want to go back!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I went to the west coast, to Santa Cruz, just south of San Fran. Had a great time there, but it is small and not that exciting. We all used fake IDs and never had a problem with them.

San Fran would be a cool place to go, but expensive enough and the hills would kill you! Like Alessandra said, avoid San Diego and Santa Barbara. San Diego is overrun with irish people and going there would be just like staying at home if the weather was too hot and you couldn't go to pubs. Santa Barbara is BEAUTIFUL but really expensive and I wouldn't recommend it for a J1.

I found it was better to go to a place where there wasn't a lot of J1'ers. You're a novelty then, and the locals don't immediately hate you. It's also easier to get housing, I think. And any time the police were called on us, they were just fascinated by us being Irish and we never had any problems.

Advertisement