Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank robbery in AIB Sandyford?

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I had hot soup in one hand and a drink in the other so i recorded nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

I heard there where two shots fired, fired from a gun...:eek:

That reminds me of something Charlie Bird (i think) said re the Dublin riots a year or two ago

"They were boxing me....with their fists" :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

DesF wrote:
    Is it the AIB down near the Beacon hospital?

That's a non-cash branch afaik.

You're thinking of BOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You're thinking of BOI
    D'oh.

Of course I am.

Dammit.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

I heard there where two shots fired, fired from a gun...:eek:

As opposed to those Deadly biros that have been doing the rounds? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

danbhala wrote:
    i was going to lodge a cheque today down there.... dam wish i did now

I WAS lodging a cheque in there when it happened!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

pics ffs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

All the news is reporting no gun shots. Is this another case of board’s poster over exaggerating? Or the news stations being wrong. Hmm think I’ll believe the boardsies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I also work opposite the AIB and the previous account seems more or less accurate. I didn't see any machine gun but I saw the guy with the balaclava and I also saw 3 cops kick the living **** out of the guy on the ground (who hadn't been shot). A single shot was fired if I'm not mistaken (saw the smoke from the gun), the first bang was the cars ramming into the getaway car. Also one guy running away at the start but I'd say he was caught. It was a sting. There were too many special branch cars there within seconds for it not to have been and also the fact that the 3 cars boxed in the getaway car almost immediately. The whole thing was mad. Within the space off minutes there must have been 10-15 unmarked squad cars pulled up outside the bank

All the news is reporting no gun shots. Is this another case of board’s poster over exaggerating? Or the news stations being wrong. Hmm think I’ll believe the boardsies

I'm 95% sure there was a gun shot. I was sitting at the window eating lunch and turned around as soon as I heard the first bang. I work almost directly opposite where it happened and I'm up a few floors so I had a really good view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

wtf is this doing in a dublin forum? they'll be moving any thread that mentions the dail from politics into here next. Culchie begrudgery sez i!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Even the RTE site said there was shots, I heard shots I tell you!

Edit. As far as the machine gun goes, yer man in the baliclava had one. Was about the same size as an MP5 but was defo not an Mp5. Looked rather like an UZI cept more angular, way the guy handled it swear it was a toy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hellm0 wrote:
    Even the RTE site said there was shots, I heard shots I tell you!

Edit. As far as the machine gun goes, yer man in the baliclava had one. Was about the same size as an MP5 but was defo not an Mp5. Looked rather like an UZI cept more angular, way the guy handled it swear it was a toy though.
    RTE wrote:
    It is believed that no shots were fired during the foiled raid, no one was injured and no money was stolen
    :confused:

Before the website was updated though RTE also said it was believed that shots were fired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

^^

You could be right about the machine gun though. Broke my glasses yesterday so I could see it all but not with great detail. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

GStormcrow wrote:
    the first bang was the cars ramming into the getaway car.

Jaysus... I hope the Special Branch or ERU did not bang up one of their spanky new BMW's.... there would be hell to pay for that one !

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

oohhhh sends a shiver of excitement down my spine when this type of thing goes down. Gotta love the ERU and SDU.

macrubicon wrote:
    Jaysus... I hope the Special Branch or ERU did not bang up one of their spanky new BMW's.... there would be hell to pay for that one !

God no. It was some dodgy family space wagon thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Brother in law was using the ATM in that branch shortly after 1pm, As he was making his way to the exit he gave way to two cars coming in, the driver in the 1st car waved in acknowledgement but the 2nd car was right on the tail of the 1st one, they pulled up just passed him and about 7 or 8 men jumped out of both cars and ran towards a white van, he said there was a flash and an explosion like a firework and next thing there were two fellas in balaclavas on the ground being handcuffed, he said it was all done and dusted in about 20 seconds, he said it was very slick and couldn't believe the 1st driver was so cool as to wave to him on the way into an armed robbery!
    He's just not sure if it was gardai or not, he said the driver of the 2nd car was very small, maybe 5' 6". Do the army give the Gardai assistance in these types of operations?

• Advertisement

This would've been a Garda operation, and the bang and the flash were caused by a flashbang distraction grenade(it does what it says on the tin:D)-nifty little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Id say the bang was the airbag in the car.
    I was just across the road from the AIB when it happened, had to of been a sting. The cops were there in under 30 seconds, ive never seen them move so fast in my life.

lemansky wrote:
    This would've been a Garda operation, and the bang and the flash were caused by a flashbang distraction grenade(it does what it says on the tin:D)-nifty little things.

Very interesting! He's a bit pissed off to think that these fukcers were about to do an armed robbery as he was using the ATM, the Brinks van was there as he was using the machine. Nice one ERU, SDU, whoever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 pat is god

surely if there was stun grenades used in this attempt to stop a robbery then it would be the army ranger wing as im sure the gardai wouldnt take such a chance as there were to many people in the area

if you broke your glasses how did you see any thing ,thanks for your contribution,i have no doubt the gaurds will be calling you as an expert witness as long as you bring your BINOCULARS to court

pat is god wrote:
    surely if there was stun grenades used in this attempt to stop a robbery then it would be the army ranger wing as im sure the gardai wouldnt take such a chance as there were to many people in the area

No it's nothing to do with the ARW. The ERU have and use stun grenades. They have used them in those situations before. It works. The two units are highly skilled in their respective areas. The ARW in military contexts and the ERU in law enforcement ones.

And sure with people around it wouldn't make a difference which unit threw the nade anyway tbh.

lemansky wrote:
    No it's nothing to do with the ARW. The ERU have and use stun grenades. They have used them in those situations before. It works. The two units are highly skilled in their respective areas. The ARW in military contexts and the ERU in law enforcement ones.

And sure with people around it wouldn't make a difference which unit threw the nade anyway tbh.

whats a nade?

Sorry didn't realise I wrote that. It's short for grenade, in some circles.

lemansky wrote:

Good point, either way they did the business, from reading the posts and talking to the Bro in law it seems there were two different operations, one on the getaway car and one on the raiders in the van.

Saw HEAT last night, ERU are making Al Pacinos crew look like amateurs!!:D

• Advertisement

CLADA wrote:
    Good point, either way they did the business, from reading the posts and talking to the Bro in law it seems there were two different operations, one on the getaway car and one on the raiders in the van.

Saw HEAT last night, ERU are making Al Pacinos crew look like amateurs!!

Yea they would've had two seperate working groups, so as each could concentrate specifically on their own particular task in the required numbers so as to ensure that nobody could get away, rather than have to cover both the raiders and the getaway car.

Damn it I wanted to see Heat last night! Thats the second time that I could've seen it recently and missed it!Oh well :D

Advertisement