Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Irish metal project "AEONARTEREA"

• 23-08-2007 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey guys,just looking for some feedback on a project we've been working on for a while,check out a couple of rough mixes here : www.myspace.com/aeonarterea Give it a listen, Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I really like "slaves to numbers" sonically, but for me at least the vocals are a bit too shrill. Progressive metal and thrash are 2 of my favourite genres and in that sense you sound great, I am not a fan of the vocals though. I am sorry, I do not mean to offend the vocallist, but I could not sit through the entire first song, and then I just listened to 30 seconds of the second track.
    Also that revrebrating effect is extremely annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Pretty impressive stuff I must say. Vocals wouldn't be my favorite, but they do the job, would prefer harsh vocals. It's at the stage where the music is so good that the production is letting it down, but it's great for home studio stuff, looking forward to hearing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Listened to Slaves to Numbers. The music itself is solid, and the singer reminds me of Bruce Dickinson a bit, but that reverb effect totally ruins the vocals for me. Also I don't dig the name of the band ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

OctavarIan wrote:
    and the singer reminds me of Bruce Dickinson a bit,

exactly what i was thinking as soon as they started, I actually quite like them. And the reverb really does ruin it, it's like 3 people all talking over each other at the same time. the music however, is excellent, hopefully this'll be a favorite on the music scene in Dublin when it really takes off, certainly has all the attributes needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, as everyone has said, awesome stuff, but too much effects on the vocals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I think it's just the vocals are double/triple takes, not reverb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Adrasteia

mp3guy wrote:
    I think it's just the vocals are double/triple takes, not reverb

Thats what it is,and it's an experiment.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to check out the tracks.:)

I feel I should have been more specific in my initial post,I'm no engineer guys,no past experience or training,this is all trial and error for the past 6 months at home and just a means for people to check out/criticize our songwriting skills.

My apologies for the vocal production, I really didn't think it would irritate people that much.Apologies to those who seemed to like the classic metal approach that I take but couldn't enjoy it because of the production.At first we wanted everything to be deliberately "over the top" and I guess the lesson I have learned here is that less is more.

As for the music as a whole, we basically want to do something different.
    Originality, is ultimately, our main goal and with the right production team behind us I think we could create something to be proud of.

Thanks again guys,it's exciting to finally get this stuff out there,:D

Ciaran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I agree with the above. The music is good but the vocals are not great. I think the vocalist is pretty good but the doubling/echo effect just does not work for music that fast. I can hear what you were trying to do but it needs to be a lot more subtle and panned harder to the left and right for it too work. However I think the music and style of the track is too fast to have an effect like that. It would work on slower passages or with a few repeating and fading echos of certain key lyrics at the right moment, panning left and right. Tool get their vocal effects bang on. But I do not think they are that necessary for your style of music. Its strong enough on its own. Like I said try it on slower passages or on the break down vocal parts of a track. May I ask, are the drums programmed or live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Adrasteia

Hey Moojuice, thanks for listening, and the advice

I appreciate your advice on the vocals.I was trying to fatten them up and listening back now I realize I went WAY too far.

-But like I said in my previous post man, I'm not trying to promote my producing skills, I'm a beginner.This is NOT the final output.This is basically a demo for streaming on myspace, I just wanted to get this stuff out there.There is no way in hell that I would sell this mix as I believe the music deserves professional attention.

For those who are interested I'll be uploading some remixed versions of the tracks soon.Obviously, I'll be taking it easy with the effects on my vocals this time around
    Moojuice wrote:
    May I ask, are the drums programmed or live?

Yeah,all drums and synth are programmed,all midi.We clicked them in from scratch,then ran them through plugins in the sequencer.It's quite tedious but it's great that we both have full control over what we want to achieve, composition-wise that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I really liked the music and the drums sounded pretty good. If you want to thicken the vocals, compress them. You can also try distorting them ever so slightly. Some sort of tube emulation can work well. Less is usually more when it comes to vocals as it is very easy to go over board. A bit of distortion and compression might make a difference. It all depends on the singer though and some subtle EQ can also help. Echo effects are very useful but are best used sparingly and at the right moments. To be honest its all about how you want it to sound so no rule is hard and fast, they are more like guidelines. I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

Its very good for a beginner (as you describe your self) Its really easy to go overboard and not realise it. I usually walk away from a track for a few days and then listen to it again. You will often spot errors and over indulgence really easily then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement