Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing A Dieing card

Options
  • 23-08-2007 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

It is hard for me to type as the tears stream down my face but I will try anyway ..sniffle.....

My 7900gs is starting to throw up some strange artefacts on the screen , on the black screen at start up I can see a few red or green spots and ingame in company of heroes when I scroll down the screen sometimes it al goes black or I get these weird spirally type things coming of the buildings . Same goes for BF2 .

I have tried reinstalling the drivers , reinstalling windows , upping the fan speed ( windows keeps it at 40% ) hoping that it would ease the pain but to no avail .

So I need to replace it , money is a problem , so I need to replace it as cheaply as possible .

Who What When Where ?

any thoughts appreciated

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

X1950Pro - offers similar if slightly better performance, better image quality and a steal at €148.

If you want to stay with NV for €100 you can get a 8600GT not as fast as an X1950Pro but it will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Before you buy a new card, take your current one out and check the heatsink in around where the fan is. Clean out the dust if there is any and try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

krazy_8s wrote:
    Before you buy a new card, take your current one out and check the heatsink in around where the fan is. Clean out the dust if there is any and try it again.

Did that , no joy . Now at the stage where if I have to scroll down a web page with graphics on it I end up with a load of little red and green dots , well that and loads of tears streaming down my face .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It was worth a try, but it looks like the damage has already been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

krazy_8s wrote:
    It was worth a try, but it looks like the damage has already been done.

Thanks for trying to help anyways , the other thread I started up here contains the only fix available to me at the time ............a new card .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

seen x1950s very cheap, like €100, on overclockers.co.uk.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-063-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=404

should have a 7900gs from my own machine available next weekend, an oem dell card but I'd say you'll probably not be inclined to buy another 7900gs now :)

Advertisement