Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operating system

• 23-08-2007 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey not the best when it comes to computers but am looking to dump windows vista that I got with my new laptop and just load up XP Pro as some of the software I have needs XP to run on.

Is it a matter of loading the XP cd or is it complicated at all??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Go into the bios by pressing the "delete" key when the laptop powers up. When you are in there look for something along the lines of "boot priority" or "boot options" you need to have your first boot device as your optical drive. and the hard drive as the second. Now before you exit the bios put the xp cd into the optical drive. No save and exit the bios. this will reboot your pc. Now after a few seconds you should see "press any key to boot from cd" at this stage do what it says, press a dandom key on the kayboard. Now Xp will start its install. You will want to format the drive and install vista.

I would reccomend before all of this you go to the manufactures website and download all the drivers you need onto a usb drive, cd or dvd. so when you have XP up and running you can start installing everything you need.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what brand - go to them for drivers, XP was released in 2001 and won't have drivers for many newer notebooks

some of the newer laptops have SATA drives and may need special drivers if the CD isn't SP2,

if you have vista business then it covers the use of XP pro

if you have vista home then talk to the people you got the laptop from, because if they don't give you a license you would have to buy a retail one since it's a breach of the OEM license to put on a computer it wasn't sold with.

Advertisement