Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which BMW 3 Series?

Options
  • 23-08-2007 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Ok so silly title but i am currently trying to find the best 2nd BMW 3 Series i can get my hands on. Budget is circa €30k and most of the approved dealers have 318i's in various guises. M models Ci models etc etc. Should i just disregard the 318i completely and pay a little more and get the 2 litre 320d '04 model? Anyone here drive a 318i?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It really depends on your own priorities. Drive both, see which you prefer. It may be worth your while to try a 6-cylinder car too, it really is a different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

please disregard them both and start looking at the 6cyl engines.

320ci is a 2.2 6cyl with 170 bhp, nice
    325 ci is a 2.5 6 cyl with 192 bhp, nicer and
    330ci is a 3.0 litre 6cyl with 231 bhp, nicest :D

seriously if you dont want the bigger engined ones go for the 2.2 320, you'll thank me for it

Cyrus - Personally speaking, I agree with you. That said, different people have different priorities, and the 2.0d does have a lot going for it.

i know but its a 4 pot diesel and sounds dieselly :( the 330d is a nicer engine just dont like the 2 litre (my dad has an e60 520 with the same engine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭EARMUFFS

Thanks for the replies lads. A friend already recommended leaving the 4 cylinders alone so that confirms that. The 320s and upwards though are rare enough to find within budget and year. 04 is really as far as i would like to go back to.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 6 cylinder petrol 3 Series will probably cost less to buy than the equivilant 4 cylinder one in Ireland due to most people not willing to pay the running costs of >2.0 litre car. 6 cylinder models are usually higher speced than 4 cylinder models too.

The only 4 cylinder 3 Series worth looking at imo is the 2.0 diesel. They hold their value quite well. The very rare 320d E46 coupe would be my choice if space is not a concern.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Dunno if you've looked at the UK as an option, but just for comparison my brother has just brought in a 318 Ci SE Coupe with an international 12 month BMW warranty for €26k all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭EARMUFFS

Thanks again lads,

The 320ci looks well but unfortunately I need a 4 door saloon! I think the 320d even though it only has 4 cylinders(oh the shame) seems like the best option in relation to my budget. May have to compare other 2 litre marques.

Thanks again didn't realise that there were so many BMW enthusiasts on here!

EARMUFFS wrote:
    Thanks again lads,

The 320ci looks well but unfortunately I need a 4 door saloon! I think the 320d even though it only has 4 cylinders(oh the shame) seems like the best option in relation to my budget. May have to compare other 2 litre marques.

Thanks again didn't realise that there were so many BMW enthusiasts on here!

what about a 520i like the one i listed? might be a 03, but better a 03 current model than a 04 older model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Try to get the "sport" model if you can - offers a much nicer cabin and a much better driving experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Ok : I have driven 318,325,330d all manual, 320d 320ci man and auto.
    I own a 320ci petrol man also.

I would have to say the 320d auto makes the most sense.
    The 320d is a nice car - four pot or not its a diesel and the extra to cylinders of a 6 pot diesel will still make it sound like a diesel so - i don't see it as too big a disadvantage.
    The auto box is well suited and makes use of the low down grunt very well, but the man is ok too.

the 318 is a dead loss.
    325 - drinks fuel.
    330d is an everyday M3 imo - as fast as an everyday car needs to be and frugal to boot - (my next car might well be a 330d wagon)
    320 petrol very nice - not hugely powerful but sounds fab (specially important for rag top like mine)

problem with 6 pot BMW's is many people in Ireland cannot tell the difference and see no point , they just think its a huge 2.0 + engine ( Many see no point in anything but a 1.6 )

hope this is of some help.

I haven't driven an E46 320d auto, but my mother has an E90 320d auto and it's a deeply impressive car. I say this as someone with a big soft spot for German 6 & 8 cylinder petrol engines.

Advertisement