Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dot.ie name servers update - when is the best time?

Options
  • 23-08-2007 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I need to change the name servers for a dot.ie domain and I was wondering if the IEDR still process these requests in batches? I remember it used to be morning and lunch time? Or am I going mad?

I have the IEDR log in details required to make the change so I would be doing it myself directly on the IEDR site as apposed to through my host or through email.

Maybe an easier question to ask would be: When is the absolute best time to update the name servers on a dot.ie domain in the IEDR website to minimise the amount of peak-time downtime while the propagation takes place?

Also, what is the propagation time nowadays? Is it still 24-48 hours?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Propagation is entirely dependant of the TTL of your records, I'd recommend you edit your DNS config with the current host so that the records for mail and all A records have a ttl of about 300 (5 minutes). Then wait for the lenght of time the old records were set to live for and then repoint the records to the new server. Then wait about an hour (or till the next zone reload for a .ie) This way you have very little downtime. Oh yeah and the IEDR perform their zone reloads at 12pm and 5pm monday to friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Host.ie

Philbert wrote:
    Hi

I need to change the name servers for a dot.ie domain and I was wondering if the IEDR still process these requests in batches? I remember it used to be morning and lunch time? Or am I going mad?

The IEDR do the normal 12noon and 5pm batched, so if you just log into to your control panel and change the name servers, this will go though the next batch ( update at 5pm) from there it will be 24-48 hours.

Just remember to make sure the name servers are set up on the end your pointing them to first to make the change as smooth as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are two zone reloads per day which are preceded by dns checks.

Dropping the TTL if your current TTL is long is a good option, but you may not have access to it.

The other option would be to simply setup the domain(s) on your new dns now with all the old records and a low TTL (if you control it).

After 24 - 72 hours you can make the switch and hopefully nothing will explode :)

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Thanks to all,

We dont have access to the DNS on the current server so I think Friday afternoon is the best time to make the change.

The propagation should be finished well before Monday and yes hopefully nothing explodes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

You'll need your domains DNS set up on the new server anyhow as the IEDR will check for it.

Hence, have it setup on the new host from the beginning and you'll experience no downtime..

• Advertisement
Advertisement