Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remakes of classics

Options
  • 23-08-2007 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭

I was rummaging around today through my classic film collection decided to see if any where being remade

So far i found three;

The day the earth stood still

When worlds collide

and

The omega man (I am legend).

Anyone else know of any fiolms that they consider "classics" whihc are being remade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Marksie wrote:
    I was rummaging around today through my classic film collection decided to see if any where being remade

So far i found three;

The day the earth stood still

When worlds collide

and

The omega man (I am legend).

Remake of classic movies? Dear God in Heaven.......no!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, by the very definition a classic is already as good as it can be.
    Now in the case of The Omega Man i'll make an exception as Mr Heston sucks balls.
    Also in films like Planet of the Apes the movie and the more recent remake were sufficiently distant from the original it could stand a more literal translation.

More interesting would be classic sci-fi books being turned into movies, or series of movies, any thoughts on that, and no Fantasy series please, I've had it up to here with elves, dwarves and trolls!

For me, great novels that should be onscreen are the following,
    Consider Phlebas,
    Lucifers Hammer,
    Mindstar Rising,
    Altered Carbon,
    Guns of the South.

and thats just for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    (snip)

For me, great novels that should be onscreen are the following,
    Consider Phlebas,
    Lucifers Hammer,
    Mindstar Rising,
    Altered Carbon,
    Guns of the South.

and thats just for starters

Altered Carbon is apparently in production and should translate well to the screen. (I hope!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

and don't forget the great series "The Dresden Files" ... oh wait.

Mindstar Rising - that indeed would be very, very good to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

galactus wrote:
    Altered Carbon is apparently in production and should translate well to the screen. (I hope!)

Good, that should be interesting. Though I didn't like the subsequent novels as much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement