Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Irish Government websites not accessible from outside Ireland?

Options
  • 23-08-2007 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭

I would have put this in 'Web Hosting' but that forum seems to be dead.

Last month a coworker blogged about not being able to access some Irish Government websites from outside Ireland. With the help of Netcraft he found that the problem websites were all running IIS while the ones he could access are running Apache.
    In addition to his list, I cannot access Department of the Environment (IIS6) but can access Oasis and NRA (both Apache).

In our office, we have to use a proxy for Internet traffic. It is based in the UK.

Does anyone have access to a non-Irish IP to give these claims a test?

If they are for real, any suggestions on who to contact to fix this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

No issue here on Irish or UK IP space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Access via CA, US, UK, FR IPs are all fine for all of the sites listed on his blog. Me thinks he's a bit quick to point the finger, not to mention some of the wild sweeping statements/assumptions in his post!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Thanks for checking. We'll have to do a few traceroutes to find where it dies.
    It is quite interesting that all the inaccessible websites run IIS and the accessible ones run Apache.

His frustration might be a result of the brutal service that all those who have to interact with the GNIB experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It depends on when he was trying to connect to the sites in question.

I know a bunch of them were offline a few days ago, for example, so they weren't accessible from anywhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

The original blog post was on 19 July 2007 so...daymobrew, is your co-worker still having problems with these sites over a month later? It might be time to try another PC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

CoNfOuNd wrote:
    The original blog post was on 19 July 2007 so...daymobrew, is your co-worker still having problems with these sites over a month later? It might be time to try another PC!
    We both have consistent problems with the listed sites. The common things are using an internal web proxy and IIS.

Advertisement