Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level English .... Is it to late ????

Options
  • 23-08-2007 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Next year I’m doing the leaving cert . Yes I’m going into 6th year now. But I wanted to know is it to late to start doing higher level English ??? .

We’ve dome the ordinary level exam papers . And the novel , and the play . But no poems and essay and lots of exam papers ..

Oh I did not do higher level for the junior cert

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

i would say it probably is,unless you're willing to really really REALLY work hard.if your novel/play are part of the single text,then you'd need to concentrate on one and study it in greater detail.
    you would also have to do a comparitive study,so you'd need another 3 texts.and also study at least 5 poets,not single poems.

paper 1 you would probably manage okay.its not really something you can prepare for anyway,because no-one knows what will come up.if you can write a half-decent essay under pressure,you would do fine. paper 2 is the one that might catch you out.

its a lot of work,and if you're serious about it be prepared.make sure you know the differences in format between the HL/OL papers (i'm not familiar with OL english so i can't really compare them.)

whether or not you did HL for junior cert doesnt really matter. the fact that you are considering HL shows you must be pretty good at OL,and could potetially get an A1/A2.you could probably pass the HL paper with a bit of work,but if you think you'd get lower than a C3 then you should stick with ordinary and aim for an A1.

hope some of this waffle has been of some use. good luck whatever you decide ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Coco88

Thanks that was really helpful . Like at school last year we studied Philadelphia here I come , Lies of silence , and the film studies : My left foot . We only done one higher level essay . And a few OL papers form years gone bye . I was hoping of getting a A2 in ordinary level English . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Judging from your posts, I think it's too late dear. I'm sure you could hack Educational Psychology without it though...

/Encouraging thump on the shoulder for you :D

¬_¬

Rozabeez wrote:
    Judging from your posts, I think it's too late dear. I'm sure you could hack Educational Psychology without it though...

/Encouraging thump on the shoulder for you :D

¬_¬

who are you ???? And what are you talking on the subject of educational psychology ???? :confused:

coco

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I agree it depends on the work you add into it - when i repeated for the 06' I only had the film from the last year and maybe 1 poet - between 05 and 06 the higher level had changed *a lot*, so I had to learn a new shakespeare, novel, and play (which I never opened to be honest), plus the film.

I came out with a B1/A2 - its hard to recall just this minute but it was one of the two.

You can do it but for ****s sake you have to stay with it all year - same honestly goes for all your classes. I ditched the hash, the drink, and the part-time job for repeating and I came out of the english with a 4-5 grade increase in my English from the 05' (c3).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Well I came out with a B3 in higher this year, which is good for me considering I did Ordinary for the Junior cert and also got a B.
    If I can do it, surely you can too.
    Remember not to stop writing though.

Naikon wrote:
    Well I came out with a B3 in higher this year, which is good for me considering I did Ordinary for the Junior cert and also got a B.
    If I can do it, surely you can too.
    Remember not to stop writing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Coco88 wrote:

Btw, If you search through last year's threads, you will find me asking the exact same question about higher level English:D
    I think you will have no problem if you put in any measure of work.
    Good luck anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's certainly possible to go from OL in the JC to HL in the LC.

I would advise you however to really tighten up on your grammar, punctuation and spelling. It will influence a corrector to award you a low style mark if they are constantly having to correct minor errors.

There are only a few rules really - find them, learn them and apply them. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Coco88 wrote:
    who are you ???? And what are you talking on the subject of educational psychology ???? :confused:

coco

Lol.

Good luck...

• Advertisement

Rozabeez wrote:
    Lol.

Good luck...

Thnx .....:D

And who are you ??? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

She's the educational psychology lecturer at Ireland's only university.

Advertisement