Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Championships

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Gillick will have to run sub 45 to have any chance, but from the outside lane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Tingle wrote:
    As for Hession that Greek looked very good this morning, jogged the last 10m and was very easy running 20.11. He should get 2nd though.
    Before today that greek's PB was slower than Hession (20.44 set 3 years ago). Think Hession was more relaxed tbh. Could definitely see him winning that heat, which would give him an excellent lane in the semi (as would 2nd place). Can't trust greek sprinters after Kenteris either, particularly 28 year old journeymen who run 20.11 in the first round...

I think the best we can hope for Gillick is a new NR. Only 2 to get through automatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Did anyone hear that Campbell is struggling with a stomach bug and is doubtfull for the 800m heats. Even if he does make the start line you'd doubt if he can be 100%. Fingers crossed for him.

Tingle wrote:
    Did anyone hear that Campbell is struggling with a stomach bug and is doubtfull for the 800m heats.
    RTE news last night mentioned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dodge wrote:

Can't trust greek sprinters after Kenteris either, particularly 28 year old journeymen who run 20.11 in the first round...

Ireland has had its share of dopers, too. You've just spoilt a good thread (for me).

I sure hope Hession doesn't run 20.10 or something suspicious like that. :rolleyes:

Slow coach wrote:
    Ireland has had its share of dopers, too. You've just spoilt a good thread (for me).

I sure hope Hession doesn't run 20.10 or something suspicious like that. :rolleyes:
    Sorry but the "Game of Shadows" book has tainted me forever. Normally I hate people who generalise too but going from Hession has shown good overall improvements in his time. The Greek guy has knocked chunks of his in one go, in a first round, slowing down. Hope you're right and I'm wrong

EDIT; O'Rourke a disappointing 8th in 12.98 (12.67 finished 4th)

Super start again, but not to be. Like Cuddihy she knows whats needed to get an Olympic final next year. 12.6 is well within her reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Ya, she has a great start in her, but faded badly in the last 50m. She'll bouce back though, and hopefully she'll compete in the '08 indoor season.

Not sure the indoor season would help her prepare for Beijing tbh. Think she needs a full (injury free) outdoor season after a bit of break to get everything ready for a decent crack at making the final

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote:
    Not sure the indoor season would help her prepare for Beijing tbh. Think she needs a full (injury free) outdoor season after a bit of break to get everything ready for a decent crack at making the final

Competing in the indoors last season didn't do her any harm going into the outdoors...

Good point...

BTW RTE's streaming just stopped working. having to make do with iaaf website (with its excellent live pop up) in work now...

For a short hurdler its not a bit transition, no tight bends, banked curves, only 60m and less chance of injury. Could get her back on track but of course depends on how her training is structured. But as you say staying healthy will be the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭LambDave

I've a feeling that she'll bounce back stronger than ever. She has to be disappointed with 12.98 though. 12.6 is surely within her reach when on top form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Yep she ran 12.91 in the heat IIRC. Not sure what her NR is but she is definitely capable of an Olympic final next year. A little disappointing though thought that she would have run a bit faster in this semi even if she didn't get to the final. Something along the lines of a 12.75

Only 4 guys inside 20.30 from the first two QF's in the 200. C'mon Paul, just get to the semis and a final spot will be there for the taking.

• Advertisement

hession 2nd just behind the greek lad....great stuff!

Edit: he won his heat, 20.50! He'l have to run a good bit faster to make the final methinks

He's been given first I think!!

He got first, great for the draw in semi. Nice interview on the BBC too, they seem to have taken him under their wing.

In work - RTE not working for me. Hession's time please?

Tingle wrote:
    He got first, great for the draw in semi. Nice interview on the BBC too, they seem to have taken him under their wing.

The BBC are always great when it comes to the Irish athletes, they always give them a mention. I guess its because we compete in a lot of the smaller events in the UK including the AAA's

• Advertisement

20.50, it was a slow heat with a tailwind of .6m/s. I think the times will sharpen up when he races against Spearmon, Gay, etc.

Linford wrote:
    The BBC are always great when it comes to the Irish athletes, they always give them a mention. I guess its because we compete in a lot of the smaller events in the UK including the AAA's
    helps when they've no entrants in the 200m at all

Photo finish here

Rineanna wrote:
    20.50, it was a slow heat with a tailwind of .6m/s. I think the times will sharpen up when he races against Spearmon, Gay, etc.

So what do people reckon, a NR will get him a final spot? I think so.

20.2-20.25, Should be enough, What do ye think? At least he knows he has the beating of gousis now. Cant wait for the semi now.

Tingle wrote:
    So what do people reckon, a NR will get him a final spot? I think so.
    Ya, I think he might have to run between 20.20 and 20.30 to qualify. I really do think he can qualify; he looked so laid back and confident in the interview after the last race, which suggests he is capable of running a lot faster.

Edit: Actually, does anyone know where the Norwegian Ndure who topped the European rankings is? Injured maybe? I didn't hear anything about him.

Rineanna wrote:
    Edit: Actually, does anyone know where the Norwegian Ndure who topped the European rankings is? Injured maybe? I didn't hear anything about him.
    He won't be eligible to compete for Norway until 2009. At least I think thats what this means

Dodge wrote:
    He won't be eligible to compete for Norway until 2009. At least I think thats what this means
    Thanks for that. Yes, actually, he just switched from the Gambia to Norway this year I think. It's a long time to wait for a major comp!

Dodge wrote:
    helps when they've no entrants in the 200m at all

True, but they were talking up Cuddihy yesterday and they had two winners of the 400m semi's.

Draw made for Mens 200m semi. Hession goes in 2nd heat. Avoid Bolt, Spearmon and Martin but has Gay outside him. can't argue with Lane 4

2 Patrick Johnson AUS 20.48 20.35
    3 Brendan Christian ANT 20.23 20.23
    4 Paul Hession IRL 20.30 20.30
    5 Tyson Gay USA 19.62 19.62
    6 Marvin Anderson JAM 20.13 20.13
    7 Anastásios Goúsis GRE 20.11 20.11
    8 Kristof Beyens BEL 20.44 20.44
    9 Christopher Williams JAM 20.17 20.02

His SB is 6th best but a final place is very very achievable.

Dodge wrote:
    Draw made for Mens 200m semi. Hession goes in 2nd heat. Avoid Bolt, Spearmon and Martin but has Gay outside him. can't argue with Lane 4

2 Patrick Johnson AUS 20.48 20.35
    3 Brendan Christian ANT 20.23 20.23
    4 Paul Hession IRL 20.30 20.30
    5 Tyson Gay USA 19.62 19.62
    6 Marvin Anderson JAM 20.13 20.13
    7 Anastásios Goúsis GRE 20.11 20.11
    8 Kristof Beyens BEL 20.44 20.44
    9 Christopher Williams JAM 20.17 20.02

His SB is 6th best but a final place is very very achievable.

With his lane draw fourth should be very attainable.

• Advertisement

In the women's 200m heats this morning there were only 41 starters and 32 qualify to the next round!!!! What's the point in having a first round if there are that few competitors, especially when one or two of the none qualifiers were running 30secs and getting PBs...

Linford wrote:
    In the women's 200m heats this morning there were only 41 starters and 32 qualify to the next round!!!! What's the point in having a first round if there are that few competitors, especially when one or two of the none qualifiers were running 30secs and getting PBs...

There are protocols as to numbers and rounds etc and they have to follow them, not sure what the numbers cut-off is for only 3 rounds though.

Tingle wrote:
    There are protocols as to numbers and rounds etc and they have to follow them, not sure what the numbers cut-off is for only 3 rounds though.

It must be to do with 100m and 200m having to have 4 rounds because if there was a numbers (competitors) issue they would have had four rounds for the men's 400m where there was a "mass cull" and only 1/3rd of the 1st round entrants went through.

I do think there should be an element of flexibility, having athletes up early to compete in very unforgiving conditions when they could have cut the competition to three rounds seems wrong.

Wissman has qualified from the first semi in 2nd in 44.56. Thats some running.

Tingle wrote:
    Wissman has qualified from the first semi in 2nd in 44.56. Thats some running.

Big PB - 44.94 before today - European record is only 44.33 (east german runner in 1987 I think)

Gillick finished 6th in 45.37

Cullen out too

Thats a shock, Ojuruogo has won the women's 400. Seems don't race for a year, one warmup race, go to the championships and win gold is the way forward. Unbelievable!!!

Tingle wrote:
    Unbelievable!!!

Quite. Despising the British attitude with her ban compared to others. I know she didn't test positive for anything but still...

EDIT: Hession finished 6th in 20.50. Equalling his PB would've gotten him 4th (Goussis in 20.33)

Ah well

Gutted for Hession, dont think we could ever have expected Gillick to be able to run sub 45 at this stage.

• Advertisement

Ya, I'd say Hession would be dissapointed with his time/race. The conditions were perfect for a good time and all....heat/competition, etc. But he can be proud of a semi place anyway and here's to next year!!

Disapointing that he didn't qualify for final when equaling his PB would have been enough.

Yeah, pity. But he has brought Irish sprinting to a new level and like Cuddihy, Gillick, O' Rourke he is close and knows what is required to final next year in Beijing. That'll be some motivation when they are training over the winter.

The only thing is that i'm pretty sure that 20.3 wont get him into an olympic final. Think he has the improvement in him though! The same goes for O'Rourke, Gillick, and Cuddihy. Its brilliant to have so many young Irish athletes who are getting genuinely recognised as world class. Roll on Beijing!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

This has been a huge learning curve for our up and coming young athletes. In my view the stars of the show so far have been Joanne Cuddihy and Eileen O'Keeffe in terms of performing nearest to their ability. Cuddihy in particular in knocking almost three tenths of a second off the Irish record. In some ways, and this is not a criticism, the performances of, say, Roisin McGhettigan and Paul Hession have been somewhat disappointing in that if they had performed to the potential, McGhettigan would have finished up 5th or 6th while Hession would have made the final. This is a huge cause for hope and is not meant to be a criticism. In addition, I believe Derval can also achieve much more than she achieved on this occasion. I believe Cragg can make the 5k final and Campbell can pick up some valuable experience in the 800. In terms of where these athletes are at and with the experience they've gained, in my view these have been one of the most successful games for us. Good luck to O'Keeffe, Cragg and Campbell tomorrow and well done on those who represented us so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Dodge wrote:
    Quite. Despising the British attitude with her ban compared to others. I know she didn't test positive for anything but still...

EDIT: Hession finished 6th in 20.50. Equalling his PB would've gotten him 4th (Goussis in 20.33)

Ah well

Apart from being naive (or even stupid, if you will) there isn't a shred of evidence that Ohuruogo is anything but clean. Sonia O'Sullivan gave a very graphic description on tonight's athletics programme as to how easy it is to miss tests. In fact, Ohuruogo was missing from her stated location on one occasion as she was doing promotions work for UKA and on another there was a school sports at the track she was to train so she moved to another location. It will be a shame if the British Olympic Council don't lift her lifetime olympic ban. (Incidentally, my position on her ban is that she committed an offence, irrespective of the reason, and the punishment meted out to her was justified. She has now served her ban and is entitled to re-commence her career.)

• Advertisement

In addition, I believe Derval can also achieve much more than she achieved on this occasion
    Me too. As Sonia said, there were so many things that didn't click into place for her this season, and she was unlucky with injuries and the timings of them.

An interesting point was made by Sonia O' S yesterday regarding Derval O' Rourke. It had crossed my mind during the indoor season but wasn't too sure. She said that maybe the reason that Derval wasn't exactly up to her best (not saying getting to the semis was a bad performance) was that she didn't compete in the indoor season, and therefore wasn't as race-sharp as the athletes who did.

I know she intentionally skipped the indoor season to build up her strength for Osaka, but the irony is it seems that she might have been better off to have actually taken part indoors. It certainly did Kallur no harm, and Derval's 12.72 NR was run after a considerable indoor season last year.

It's a pity though; she was so professional in her approach to her training and made a huge decision to skip the indoor season and, from my point of view, she hasn't reaped the rewards she deserves. I hope to God she defends her World title indoors next year.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other/features/allenblog4.html

Great blog and hits the nail on the head.

LambDave wrote:
    The only thing is that i'm pretty sure that 20.3 wont get him into an olympic final. Think he has the improvement in him though! The same goes for O'Rourke, Gillick, and Cuddihy. Its brilliant to have so many young Irish athletes who are getting genuinely recognised as world class. Roll on Beijing!

20.3 might not get Hession to an olympic final, but if he improves next year by a quarter of how he did this year!!!

With the exception of Xavier there was not many missing from that 200m. To be in the running for a final place in one of the most talented 200m (3 or 4 sub 20 runners) since 1996 is some feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

Apart from being naive (or even stupid, if you will) there isn't a shred of evidence that Ohuruogo is anything but clean. Sonia O'Sullivan gave a very graphic description on tonight's athletics programme as to how easy it is to miss tests. In fact, Ohuruogo was missing from her stated location on one occasion as she was doing promotions work for UKA and on another there was a school sports at the track she was to train so she moved to another location. It will be a shame if the British Olympic Council don't lift her lifetime olympic ban. (Incidentally, my position on her ban is that she committed an offence, irrespective of the reason, and the punishment meted out to her was justified. She has now served her ban and is entitled to re-commence her career.)

If it's so easy how come there aren't loads of athletes getting suspended for it? Is there any proof that what Sonia was saying last night about where Ohuruogo was is true or was she just accepting her explanation of events?

ss43 wrote:
    If it's so easy how come there aren't loads of athletes getting suspended for it? Is there any proof that what Sonia was saying last night about where Ohuruogo was is true or was she just accepting her explanation of events?

When she was banned last year there were 4 other athletes sitting on 2 missed tests and 70 on one missed test. 2 others missed 3 and were banned also - Tim Don is one of them. This was just the UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement