Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Mounting LCD in Sitting Room

Options
  • 23-08-2007 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi folks, we have a regular 2 bed in the grove, sitting room at the front. am thinking of wall mounting the TV above the radiator (between the corridoor to the kitchen and the stairs). the TV is currently inside the front window in the corner. Am running into a few problems so i thought i'd ask what enterprising solutions you guys may have used. ok, so firstly I wall mount the TV, not a problem. what is a problem is the accompany units (dvd & ntl box) which I dont want plonked beside the TV. what i am planning to do is punch a hole in the wall (behind the TV) through to the downstairs bathroom. I'll then build a small press to enclose these units and i;ll feed the cables back through the wall to the TV. I can control them through a infrared link or a RF remote control. additionally, i will get an electrician to link a power supply through. So the question is, am I mad, is this the best way to go about it? i'm sure a few of you have done something like this already, and I've seen screens mounted on sitting room walls around charlesland (not a peeping tom I swear). would be interested in your views and if any of you have any pics of how you did it i would be only too deligthed to see (PM of course) Cheers TnJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

TnJ wrote:
    Hi folks, we have a regular 2 bed in the grove, sitting room at the front. am thinking of wall mounting the TV above the radiator (between the corridoor to the kitchen and the stairs). the TV is currently inside the front window in the corner. Am running into a few problems so i thought i'd ask what enterprising solutions you guys may have used. ok, so firstly I wall mount the TV, not a problem. what is a problem is the accompany units (dvd & ntl box) which I dont want plonked beside the TV. what i am planning to do is punch a hole in the wall (behind the TV) through to the downstairs bathroom. I'll then build a small press to enclose these units and i;ll feed the cables back through the wall to the TV. I can control them through a infrared link or a RF remote control. additionally, i will get an electrician to link a power supply through. So the question is, am I mad, is this the best way to go about it? i'm sure a few of you have done something like this already, and I've seen screens mounted on sitting room walls around charlesland (not a peeping tom I swear). would be interested in your views and if any of you have any pics of how you did it i would be only too deligthed to see (PM of course) Cheers TnJ

Ru knows this stuff inside out - maybe send him a PM, if he doesn't mind me saying that.

From what I can tell, a wall mounted TV tends to be higher up than you'd be used to with a telly, unless the seats are a good bit away. Could be uncomfortable on the neck after a while. If you're going for, or already have, a surround sound system, then the centre, left, right and bass speakers would ideally want to be around the TV, so I don't think you would have a completely clean approach. Maybe a subtle cabinet for all the bits and pieces near the telly would end up cleaner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

cheers eoin,
    unfortunately our sitting room is fairly small and if we are to get a larger couch, or a small 'L' shaped couch in the room, the TV has to be moved. although there are going to be a few cabling issues, including the positioning of the subwoofer, etc, i still think the benefits will outweigh the hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Stevo1972

I decided as well that having loads of cables hanging down over the radiator was a bad idea, so I simply bought a very long "white" scart lead on eBay and simply laid it along the wall under the fire, across the bottom of the stairs and up the wall to the TV. It's hardly noticeable because of the colour and it's only one cable. This cable plugs into a switch box in a shelving unit on the window side of the fireplace. Everything else (NTL box, DVD, VCR) plugs into the switch box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Personally i wouldn't mount a TV above the radiator. LCD's and Plasma's generate a lot of heat and the added heat from a radiator will not do the equipment any good.

On top of this, if your wall mounting now, what if you get a new toy in the next year or so! You'll have to take down the set to plug it in. Alternativly, if you preempt and put all the cables in now, your running up the costs.

In my opinion, the only advantage of wall mounting is space and like you, i don't have much of it. We went for a nice looking stand and it fits well. On top of this, whenever i come home with a new box! I just plug it in!!!!

Have a look at these sites for alternatives and PM me if you want to know where to buy them

Ru

http://www.vogels.com

http://www.alphasondesigns.com/

My personal favorite http://www.vogels.com/detail.asp?FromSite=Custommer&Fromsearch=no&ISSAID=386

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Stevo1972

Obviously I have a shelf between the radiator and the LCD TV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement