Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

GBX wrote: »
    Might 9 be the royal hospital in Kilmainham? (Guess)
    No.
    Victor wrote: »
    Is 9 Aldborough House, at the Five Lamps?
    No.

This is amazing. I was just thinking that Victor will definitely know it! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Got already by jdivision - see posts 3081/3082.

Sorry, keep forgetting to refresh the page before I post!

Is No. 9 inside Trinity?

deswalsh wrote: »
    Is No. 9 inside Trinity?
    Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

Is 9 near the side of the Stephens Green Centre at Mercer Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

Is 9 mountjoy prison?

• Advertisement

Dufresne wrote: »
    Is 9 near the side of the Stephens Green Centre at Mercer Street?
    No.
    whirlwind wrote: »
    Is 9 mountjoy prison?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hints?

I doubt its Grangegorman, too new.

Hints?
    Here's a bigger pic.

9-15.jpg

I doubt its Grangegorman, too new.
    Not grangegorman Victor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Its Shaped like Pigeon House in ringsend, but where's the doors!

• Advertisement

Its Shaped like Pigeon House in ringsend, but where's the doors!
    BINGO!

We have a winner. Well done des! :D It is indeed the Pigeon House on Pigeon House Road and now part of the Poolbeg ESB station. I'm still astounded this lasted so long.

There is a door on the left side anyway.

PigeonHouse-1.jpg

PigeonHouse.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I should of copped that, it's so deceiving without the chimney on the left, had me fooled :)

I notice Wish you had the a pic of the outside stone memorial posted up before as well and that had me stumped then too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've only ever been down that way once - along the strand and out the South Wall. I saw that, but not up close. Was it originally a hotel? There was also a battery here, I think. What is the chimney for - it wasn't part of the old power station, was it? I though all that was demolished. I actually heard the demolition, but only saw the cloud of smoke.

I havent been down there in years - is that a recent photo?
    I had it in my head that the pigeon house had a big door where the arch is in the picture, but I must be mixing it up with somewhere else.

Was it originally a hotel?
    AFAIK cross channel passenger boats berthed there in the 1700s before the construction of the North Wall Quay area. I always refer to that building as the Pigeon House but others refer to it as 'The Hotel' claiming that The Pigeon House was a different building. I tried Googling it but the info isn't that clear.
    Victor wrote:
    There was also a battery here, I think.
    There are ruins in the area which may have been a battery. The British reinforced the area during the troubles in 1798.
    Victor wrote:
    What is the chimney for - it wasn't part of the old power station, was it? I though all that was demolished. I actually heard the demolition, but only saw the cloud of smoke.
    Presumably it is part of the power station that ceased to operate in the 1960s.

PoolbegGeneratingStationBuilding.jpg
    I havent been down there in years - is that a recent photo?
    The pic was taken on the 8th of Feb 2008 at 10.53am. ;)
    deswalsh wrote:
    I had it in my head that the pigeon house had a big door where the arch is in the picture, but I must be mixing it up with somewhere else.
    Perhaps it's on the other side, i.e. facing the Liffey. I presume the pic I took is of the rear?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

John Pigeon was a workman and caretaker employed during the building of the South Wall. His house was a large wooden structure built at the time for storing wreck and builder's materials. A seven-bay, three storey hotel designed by Robert Pool was erected between 1793 and 1795 for persons crossing to and from England. John Pigeon had several pleasure boats that took trippers around the bay from the hotel.

The hotel became a barracks in 1798 and a fort from 1814-97.

(from 'Encyclopaedia of Dublin' Douglas Bennett, Gill and MacMillan 1994)

spurious wrote: »
    John Pigeon was a workman and caretaker employed during the building of the South Wall. His house was a large wooden structure built at the time for storing wreck and builder's materials. A seven-bay, three storey hotel designed by Robert Pool was erected between 1793 and 1795 for persons crossing to and from England. John Pigeon had several pleasure boats that took trippers around the bay from the hotel.

The hotel became a barracks in 1798 and a fort from 1814-97.

(from 'Encyclopaedia of Dublin' Douglas Bennett, Gill and MacMillan 1994)
    That would seem to suggest that the 'Hotel' isn't the Pigeon House.

(AFAIK his name was originally 'Pidgeon'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Weather depending, I should break my "Dublin Picture Game" virginity tomorrow.:D

I don't believe it! Exit is alive and well. He/she posted in After Hours last evening at 21.40hrs.

I don't believe it! Exit is alive and well. He/she posted in After Hours last evening at 21.40hrs.
    In this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

What's this all about? :)

Exit wrote: »
    What's this all about? :)
    Welcome back. It was mentioned a few times that you seem to have disappeared despite starting this great thread! :D

......and your picture which began it all! :)

100_12801.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Here's one to mull over, it might be easy or might be hard, who can get it in record time? :D

DSC0034az.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

is it Rialto Cottages?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Looks like the North Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

terenure?

Looks like the North Strand.
    It does and is that St Lawerence O'Toole's Church steeple in the distance?

My guess - Seville Terrace?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Welcome back. It was mentioned a few times that you seem to have disappeared despite starting this great thread! :D

Thanks! As you can see from my location, I'm no longer in Dublin, so obviously my ability to participate is limited ;) Anyway, from popping in here a few times, I can see that a lot of you guys are way ahead of me in knowledge.

I'm just genuinely glad that so many other people have a similar interest in Dublin and its buildings and spaces. I really thought this thread would make it to maybe 3 or 4 pages before dying :)

• Advertisement

Exit wrote: »
    Thanks! As you can see from my location, I'm no longer in Dublin, so obviously my ability to participate is limited ;) Anyway, from popping in here a few times, I can see that a lot of you guys are way ahead of me in knowledge.

I'm just genuinely glad that so many other people have a similar interest in Dublin and its buildings and spaces. I really thought this thread would make it to maybe 3 or 4 pages before dying :)
    Great to hear from you.

I think the thread should be 'stickied'!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement