Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Leinster Market - I didn't think this would work but it seems to have ! :)

I simply photographed the pic from a book. The book is dated 1972 and it refers to the pics being taken "90 years ago" so it must date from about the 1880s.

The caption reads "Leinster Market, behind D'Olier Street and a few of its inhabitants"

LeinsterMarket.jpg

That looks like an interesting little laneway. I'll have to check it out next time I'm over.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

40.JPG
    41.JPG
    42.JPG
    43.JPG
    44.JPG
    45.JPG
    46.JPG
    47.JPG
    48.JPG
    49.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

41 is Ryans on Parkgate St, when my hangover subsides a little I might get some more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

46 is Millennium walkway,

Is 41 Parkgat St?

44Georges St?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

49 Heuston Station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

41 is Ryans on Parkgate St, when my hangover subsides a little I might get some more :(
    Correct.
    carolmon wrote: »
    46 is Millennium walkway,
    Correct. Although I don't think thats its real name - Quartier Bloom methinks. :)
    Is 41 Parkgat St?
    Correct, but too late.
    44Georges St?
    EDIT(! :D) Correct.
    49 Heuston Station?
    Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

40 Tara St Fire station?
    42 Georges st (Above Phillips shop)?
    43 Above Georges st arcade?
    45 Hickeys across river from Heuston?
    47 Baggot st?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

40 reminds me of the building on the west side of Jervis Street near the Fas Training Centre. (?)

gurramok wrote: »
    Try MS Office Picture Manager(part of MS office '03 obviously :D) raheny red. I use it to crop and resize pics, its the best thing MS have and its fast!
    Another little tip: Copy the entire pic first before you crop or edit it . That way, you have still got a copy of the origional pic to post if it's correctly identified. It's interesting to be able to show a detailed image in its wider context (and it provides proof to those of little faith! ;))

Is 48 Dame Street? The 3rd building from the left looks a bit like the upstairs of the lap dancing club there (Lapellos?) across from South Great Georges Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

is 42 the top of Easons O'Connell St?

mydarkstar wrote: »
    is 42 the top of Easons O'Connell St?
    It looks like O'Connell Street alright but I think Eason's is a newer building.

"Established 1900, erected 1920" would lead me to think that it was an O'Connell Street building that was damaged in the rising and rebuilt several years later. Presumably the business name began with a "B".

I was thinking of the building where Supermacs is at the corner with Abbey Street. I can't for the life of me remember what was there beforehand!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

40 on dame lane? Part of andrew Ln. car park?
    43 is baggot st. Above no.8newsagent. Row of shops befor the hospital.?

45 looks like the Luas bridge at Heuston.... well, to me it does.
    40 is the side of Jervis St, near the carpark.

mydarkstar wrote: »
    45 looks like the Luas bridge at Heuston.... well, to me it does.
    40 is the side of Jervis St, near the carpark.
    Both those have been given already! :D;)

Both those have been given already! :D;)

Ah. Will make a mental note to read more carefully next time ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Re leinster market...didn't club21 be down that lane? The birthplace of the irish E brigade in about 1987-88.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

are they all gone ?!

Grimes wrote: »
    are they all gone ?!
    We'll have to wait for Victor to come back and confirm the guesses.

humberklog wrote: »
    40 on dame lane? Part of andrew Ln. car park?
    The car park in Andrew's Lane has blue steel circles with 4 blue bars running through each circle and set into arched window spaces. ;)

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Re leinster market...didn't club21 be down that lane? The birthplace of the irish E brigade in about 1987-88.

God that's taking me back, used to go to a club there about 20 years ago, it was beside the Harp bar, anybody remember the name??

God that's taking me back, used to go to a club there about 20 years ago, it was beside the Harp bar, anybody remember the name??

I used to go to a teenage "disco" there back in the early eighties. It was called "The Tara Club" and didn't sell any alcohol. The attraction was it closed at 1 am and at that time the pubs used to close at 11pm so you had a few pints (if you could get served) and then went to the Tara to find a mot.

so you had a few pints (if you could get served) and then went to the Tara to find a mot.
    How romantic - perhaps you may have picked up carolmon there! :D

You never know mate, I looked fairly sharp with my mullet and my wine suit :D

You never know mate, I looked fairly sharp with my mullet and my wine suit :D
    What about the black slip on shoes with the white socks, black flecked drainpipes and yellow V-neck jumper! :eek:

I better get back on topic before the bouncers notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

was it not called 'tin pan ally'?

the GALL wrote: »
    was it not called 'tin pan ally'?

AFAIR "Tin Pan Alley" was in the basement of "The Harp" (now q-bar) in the late eighties early nineties.
    The "Tara" was in the building after the lane and I'd say it closed down around1984. It's now a student niteclub called "Twenty one".

I used to go to a teenage "disco" there back in the early eighties. It was called "The Tara Club" and didn't sell any alcohol. The attraction was it closed at 1 am and at that time the pubs used to close at 11pm so you had a few pints (if you could get served) and then went to the Tara to find a mot.

the Tara Club - that's the one!

Quite possible - ahemmm - those were the days!

• Advertisement

What about the black slip on shoes with the white socks, black flecked drainpipes and yellow V-neck jumper! :eek:

enough to make a girl swoon..........

(moved on tho to McGonagles and biker/ rocker style......)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement