Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This one remains.

8-20.jpg

CLUE: It's in a small park in Dublin 7 (the Dublin 1 end of Dublin 7). ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

oh is it beside that court house just off Caple Street... near Cookoo and Balls Lane

flynnc8 wrote: »
    oh is it beside that court house just off Caple Street... near Cookoo and Balls Lane
    Well done. :) It's in St Michan's Park beside the Special Criminal Court and bounded by Green Street, Little Britain Street and Halston Street.

There is a bady eroded inscription below it but it's not legible so I don't know anything about it.

My best mate lives right beside that park, i knew I had seen it hundreds of times... Still guessed wrong the first time around tho....

i find it crazy, how you can see certain places, buildings and streets everyday and not recognise them immediately in posts.... i thought I new Dublin like the back of my hand but since I start viewing this thread i've learned otherwise lol..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Aint that the cool thing about this game :cool:

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Aint that the cool thing about this game :cool:

most certainly ha ha....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a bady eroded inscription below it but it's not legible so I don't know anything about it.
    The picture is probably Lord Edward Fitzgerald - who, along with others died in Newgate Gaol which was on that site.

spurious wrote: »
    The picture is probably Lord Edward Fitzgerald - who, along with others died in Newgate Gaol which was on that site.
    Isn't it female? EDIT: I see what you mean - the lower picture.

Now that I think of it, the inscription may be in the old style Irish script. Either way I couldn't read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

spurious wrote: »

It is more than likely Oliver Bond. He is buried in the nearby St. Michans. Edward FitzGerald is buried in St. Werburghs near the Castle. FitzGerald didn't die in Newgate, he was shot and mortally wounded by Major Sirrs, the Castle's "rebel buster". The ironic thing is, Sirrs is buried in the same vault/crypt as FitzGerald.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought Fitzgerald died of his wounds in Newgate on June 4th, 1798.
    Anyway - the picture looks like him. I've never seen a painting of Oliver Bond, so how true a likeness it is to him I don't know.

• Advertisement

I was being a pedantic git!! :p I am not sure if he was taken to the gaol at Newgate or not. Now you have given me the idea to go over there today and investigate!!

I love this thread!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

boneless wrote: »
    I was being a pedantic git!! :p I am not sure if he was taken to the gaol at Newgate or not. Now you have given me the idea to go over there today and investigate!!

I love this thread!!!! :D

If I'm not mistaken you can see a bit of the old debtors prison in that pic too. It's a few years since I was down that way but the old building on the other side of the courthouse was the debtors prison... way back.

Don't forget to bring your camera. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any pictures people, thread has gone a bit dry.:D

Now that I think of it, the inscription may be in the old style Irish script. Either way I couldn't read it.
    I've just realised that I have a pic of the inscription.

Anyone care to translate (apologies about the quality)?

MonumentStMichansPark.jpg

All I can make out is the date 1903, which would lead me to believe it is commemorating the centenary of Emmetts 1803 rebellion.... I have a few days off work. I think I will take a walk up there this week!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The plot's thickening on the K.D Lang theory. I think the inscription is dated 1993. So tying in with her 1993 grammy for best female vocalist. (Must've been a lean year).

I found na h'Eireann meaning Irish in there 3 times if thats any help... lol...

I also found agat/agus in there 4 times and I think agat means at you.. Most of us are familiar with agus meaning and..

third line down 2 words before na h'Eireann it has moir/moin meaning sea/peat 2 words after na h'Eireann it has fior meaning true

I cant really image that arriving in 1993.. Bit too old school lol.. But I could be wrong:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

The date at the end is December 1903.

It mentions Priosún an Geata so I'd say it's some sort of communal memorial to all those who died/were killed there in the 'cause of Irish freedom'. Eddie Fitz and his lovely k. d. lang hairstyle must be the poster boy for them.

Ok so I actually went out and took these pictures myself this time some with my camera and others with my phone... Felt like a tourist lol:p.. Then I cropped them using Picsa but it wouldn't let me copy the pics in order to paste them here. So I just uploaded them to my bebo page, which is the link you will recieve in email notification. I remembered not to name them so it won't come up in the link lol..

584738173a7598872209l.jpg

584738173a7598872227l.jpg

584738173a7598872287l.jpg

584738173a7598872304l.jpg

584738173a7598872339l.jpg

584738173a7598872390l.jpg

feel free to browse my bebo profile through the link if ya wish, but its not really that interesting... ha ha :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

4: george's street arcade?

1. Christchurch
    2. Camden St
    3. Dublin Castle
    4. Georges St

2 Camden Street.
    4 St Great Georges St

Any chance of a bigger picture for No.6?

6 Aungier St?

deaddonkey wrote: »
    4: george's street arcade?

correct.

1. Christchurch
    2. Camden St
    3. Dublin Castle
    4. Georges St

1. correct
    2. correct
    3. correct
    4. already taken...

get bigger pic for 6 in a few.. have to sort it out...
    GBX its not Aungier street...

Just use www.imageshack.us and then resize image?

584738173a7599483148l.jpg

I thinks these where too easy... ha ha the above and below left

584738173a7598872339l.jpg

• Advertisement

6. Meath St?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement