Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hmmmm I was going to guess Hill St., but 2 to 1 in favour of bessborough Ave........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Masada wrote: »
    Its Bessborough Ave, Dublin 3. :)
    Bingo! :)

Courtney's Garage on Bessborough Avenue.

BessboroughAvenueCourtneys-1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

humberklog wrote: »
    You're right too Masada. Jayzuz I've stood looking at it often enough when having a fag outside Cusack's. Thanks...it was doing my nog in thinking.

lol., it was wrecking my head too, Ive been looking at that pump since i was a wee nipper and just couldn't place it., :D

If everything has been guessed already I'll offer up this one. :)
    Its not really that difficult but i thought id take a snap of it anyway.

3364278138_98564d6be2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Here's two, should be easy.

DSCN0566.jpg

DSCN0588.jpg

The 2nd one is now something else...for the kids if you get my drift ;):)

<snip - picture removed - Des>

• Advertisement

Oops, we posted at same time Masada :), is it Moore St by any chance?

gurramok wrote: »
    Oops, we posted at same time Masada :), is it Moore St by any chance?

LOL., jeez, i knew it was a handy one but i didnt think it would go that quick., :D
    well done man.,;)
    3364279024_7c1b18f4bf_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

Here's two, should be easy.

DSCN0566.jpg

just curious, is it possible to get through this building and get to the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

acontadino wrote: »
    just curious, is it possible to get through this building and get to the top?

Almost certainly yes, but i wouldn't imagine it's very safe. Notice the graffiti at the top, for example.

Anyways, thats the old mill bakery in Phibsborough
    2 was broadstone park (i think that's what it's called, just off western way, used to be part of the canal)
    the 3rd is the pool hall beside the canal, behind the pub (Smyths is it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Ste.phen wrote: »
    2 was broadstone park (i think that's what it's called, just off western way, used to be part of the canal)

It's official name is Royal Canal Bank. (it used to be a branch of the canal that ran to Broadstone.)

• Advertisement

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. There's also a line of Georgian buildings up on the hill adjacent to broadstone's main wall, which i think is named Royal Canal Terrace (or similar?).
    Did the canal actually break through onto constitution hill / the side of the train station? I presumed it stopped at Blessington St Basin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

[mod hat on]

I've removed picture 3 from the above post, some of the gigs mentioned in the ads are unmentionable on this website.

Des
    [mod hat off]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Des wrote: »
    [mod hat on]

I've removed picture 3 from the above post, some of the gigs mentioned in the ads are unmentionable on this website.

Des
    [mod hat off]

While Mod hats are blowing around in the breeze could I ask that people please don't repost pictures when they are replying to a post.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. There's also a line of Georgian buildings up on the hill adjacent to broadstone's main wall, which i think is named Royal Canal Terrace (or similar?).
    Did the canal actually break through onto constitution hill / the side of the train station? I presumed it stopped at Blessington St Basin.

Sorry this is a little bit fuzzy. The map is from 1876.
    You can see there was a harbour from the canal beside the railway terminal.

75120.jpg

Knew the pics wouldn't last long, all correct Ste.phen :)

Thats mad about 3 Des, must look out for that in the future to be extra careful!

2 is now a playground/football court and a big one as well.

Knew the pics wouldn't last long, all correct Ste.phen :)

Thats mad about 3 Des, must look out for that in the future to be extra careful!

2 is now a playground/football court and a big one as well.

They're all near enough to me, so I know them well.
    I really should get out and take some pics of my own!

At the Broadstone end of that linear park the canal took a right turn, went across an aquaduct over the Phibsboro' Road and ended at Broadstone station where there was a harbour for barges.

If you stand where the memorial to the War of Independence is (the soldier with the rifle.. facing onto the NCR) you're standing on Blacquire Bridge which once crossed the canal. The canal once branched from beside Mountjoy and along by where the Phibsboro' Library is, and continued as above.

The spur over the Phibsborough road to Broadstone is news to me, but I was aware of the stretch from Mountjoy as far as the basin, seems a shame to have Broadstone sitting there as a filthy bus garage given its history!

spurious wrote: »
    Sorry this is a little bit fuzzy. The map is from 1876. You can see there was a harbour from the canal beside the railway terminal.

Sorry spurious, I think I posted at about the same time as yourself.

Great map, thanks.

//edit// Oops... no I posted after you and didn't see your post first.... must be going blind in me old age. Sorry about that, you did a better job than me by illustrating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I presumed it stopped at Blessington St Basin.
    I think it and the City Basin (at St. James Hospital) were both primarily for water storage for use by the city.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    I think it and the City Basin (at St. James Hospital) were both primarily for water storage for use by the city.
    Aye, there's a plaque or sign to that effect at Blessington St Basin, there's a maintenance shed there with some noticeboards including some photos of the restoration work which was performed under a Fás programme

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

All done I take it?

B2L2E22.jpg

D1D1C.jpg

S2S2U.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

2: Dame Court

No. 3 is Stephen Street Upper at the Golden Lane end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

1 Mill Street? know it's around there, it's the old sofa place
    2 is correct
    3 is Peter's Place off Adelaide Rd

jdivision wrote: »
    2 is correct
    As is my answer for no. 3! :)

mydarkstar and Wish both right.

jdivision, I sorta see where your going with No.1 but it's not right. It's Dublin 2, and not to far from the others.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Gav I've got 10 ready to go. If you could give a hint to clear that one off?

Wait your f*cking turn humberklog, jesus have some f*cking patience...

ofcourse I'll give a hint, lets go with it's near St.Stephens Green and it's "East"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Wait your f*cking turn humberklog, jesus have some f*cking patience...
    :pac:
    Well it's just that I'm in on a Fri. and only realised I could make up 10 from my flickr for the others that're in on a Fri. and I thought yours might go on forever as it's a bit vague and fuzzy. But you're right, apologies Gav.

I haven't a clue where that pic could be...the lane beside Anglo Bank on the Green?!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement