Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Three to go - one northside, two southside. (I'm astounded no. 9 hasn't been identified - I thought it would go first!)

3-73.jpg

8-34.jpg

9-34.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Number 8, Dawson Street, New Ireland Assurance Building

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Is No.9 St.Patricks cathedral

I looked at Number 9 and said "Robert Emmet" to myself, don't know where it is though! Has the image been flipped around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

9 - College Green

• Advertisement

Number 8, Dawson Street, New Ireland Assurance Building
    Well spotted Micilin. :)

(PS - I'm not great on the old Irish script which is on the plaque and was wondering if it identified the business/building?)

DawsonStreetNewIreland.jpg
    Zatman wrote: »
    Is No.9 St.Patricks cathedral
    Afrain not Zatman - much more central!

9 - College Green
    Bingo! Well done. One of the statues at the front of Trinity College with Grafton Street in the background. (I always mix them up - not sure if it's Burke or Goldsmith?)

Has the image been flipped around?
    No changes - I was passing it one morning a few weeks ago and with the lighting on the day, I saw a nice opportunity for an unusual shot (and I know nothing about photography!)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bingo! Well done. One of the statues at the front of Trinity College with Grafton Street in the background. (I always mix them up - not sure if it's Burke or Goldsmith?)

It's burke, goldy has his head stuck in a book the whole time.

One to go - north inner city (Dublin 1).

3-73.jpg

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    It's burke, goldy has his head stuck in a book the whole time
    Great stuff copacetic - I'll remember that from now on. :)

I looked at Number 9 and said "Robert Emmet" to myself, don't know where it is though! Has the image been flipped around?
    It's burke, goldy has his head stuck in a book the whole time.

I hope Robert Emmet isn't turning in his grave at the thought of his statue being mixed up with that of someone who opposed the French Revolution!!

No changes - I was passing it one morning a few weeks ago and with the lighting on the day, I saw a nice opportunity for an unusual shot (and I know nothing about photography!)

On what street are the buildings in the background? I can't get my head around the angle of the photo!!

Edit: I can see the angle and perspective now - great shot!

Well spotted Micilin. :)

(PS - I'm not great on the old Irish script which is on the plaque and was wondering if it identified the business/building?)

DawsonStreetNewIreland.jpg

The old Irish script does identify the building as that of Comhlucht na hÉireann um Árachas (Teo). I never heard of that company (by their Irish or English name) only I took a few photographs of the lovely doors, they're a great piece of artwork!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

On what street are the buildings in the background? I can't get my head around the angle of the photo!!

It's the bottom of grafton street, its really foreshortened in the picture as the angle blocks out a 100 yards or so, the buidlings are the ones on left of this photo, first few on pedestrianised part

grafton+st+bst+now+then.jpg

The old Irish script does identify the building as that of Comhlucht na hÉireann um Árachas (Teo). I never heard of that company (by their Irish or English name) only I took a few photographs of the lovely doors, they're a great piece of artwork!
    :o I've just noticed the green lettering in the building itself. I didn't realise that the same words were on the plaque!
    It's the bottom of grafton street, its really foreshortened in the picture as the angle blocks out a 100 yards or so, the buidlings are the ones on left of this photo, first few on pedestrianised part
    The actual image was a lot wider but I cropped it for this thread. I should have taken a copy to crop and saved the original (which is what I usually do).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

That is the Headquarters of New Ireland Assurance, a site they've occupied since the 1920s. They were the first Irish-owned insurance comapny to set up business here. The word 'New' in their name was probably adopted later on in their existence, as it doesnt appear in their wall sign.

This one still remains!

3-73.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Is it Hill Street off Parnell Street? Interesting to see that they have branches in London, New York, Paris and Milan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

Is it Summerhill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Is it Windsor Ave down in the Fairview strand area?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Is it Prussia St.?

vektarman wrote: »
    Is it Hill Street off Parnell Street? Interesting to see that they have branches in London, New York, Paris and Milan. :)
    robo wrote: »
    Is it Summerhill?
    Masada wrote: »
    Is it Windsor Ave down in the Fairview strand area?
    humberklog wrote: »
    Is it Prussia St.?
    No to all 4.

It's north inner city - Dublin 1 and about half way between vektarman's and humberklog's guesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

No. 3 Dominic Street Upper ?

No. 3 Dominic Street Upper ?
    Spot on Dennis - Dominick Street Upper at the junction with Mountjoy Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Spot on Dennis - Dominick Street Upper at the junction with Mountjoy Street.
    Who's next?.

Dennis is next as he was the last correct but can I jump in with one? I have to add an attachment as I don't know how to post pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

vektarman wrote: »
    Dennis is next as he was the last correct but can I jump in with one? I have to add an attachment as I don't know how to post pics.

north king street?

Correct Admiral, well done, time for me to get a few more pics and learn how to post them fully.

A bit slow to-day so I'll add another now that I've worked out how to post pics, hint, it's in Dublin 8 :).

[IMG][/img]DSCF3488.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

Francis Street?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement