Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

good man yourself and 70 years there are we

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Well done Hagar! :)

you got any wishbone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I have to say this is a great thread, especially when you are far from Dublin.
    I love looking at all the pictures. Thanks guys.

It is deffo my fav. on boards. i'm not so great on the southside area .. but it's great when ya get one right.. I only changed jobs recently and in my old office there used to be 5 or 6 of us around my computer all tryin to figure out the pics...
    I don't really post up pics because i aint got a car and i don't always have time but i've had a few days off between jobs this week so i said i'd make my contribution.. so i went on a walk with the camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yep, it's agreat thread, and thanks mainly to Wish for posting so many pix.

I've noticed that I do better at the ones of roads, coz that's where I'm looking when I'm driving. Tend not to look at buildings while driving, so I don't recognise these ones as readily.

in my old office there used to be 5 or 6 of us around my computer all tryin to figure out the pics
    I am always envious of those who have access to the net at work!

...............but then again, I'd be afraid I'd get nothing done! :eek:

In one way it would have been great if something like this was around 20 or 30 years ago. Many younger people don't realise it but much of central Dublin was a wasteland of dereliction and I think it would be nice now to look back on the pics and compare them with today.

Remember Gardiner Street in the early 1980s? The whole west side seemed to be a wasteland with a few propped up gables and just The Honey Pot pub!

you got any wishbone
    You've twisted my arm. I'll dip into my bag and see what I come up with! :D (Give me a couple of minutes).

OK - here we go!

These should be handy enough for the regulars.

Hagar - if you know them all immediately maybe you'd give someone else a chance! :D:D:D (Joke!)

(Did you notice lads that it's really only a 'hard core' who answer. It's a pity in a way because I think the others don't get any enjoyment anymore as the pics are identified too quickly. :()

1-24.jpg

2-19.jpg

3-18.jpg

4-14.jpg

5-14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Is 5 that old Guinness building in the Coombe?

On first glance don't recognise any of them! time to delve deep into my bag of place memories and pull out a winner

• Advertisement

Is 5 that old Guinness building in the Coombe?
    It's possibly a Guinness building (I don't know) but I'd prefer the name of the street.

Re 'The Coombe' do you mean the actual 'Coombe' i.e. the street which runs between Pimlico and Patrick's Street or do you mean the general area.

Is 1. corner of Tara ST.

no i know it's defo not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭leche solara

Is No. 1 Aungier St and York St? (or Digges Lane?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'll pass on this one, I'll look in in the morning and see if you leave me any crumbs. :D

stumped absolutely stumped they must be all southside

Is No. 1 Aungier St and York St? (or Digges Lane?)
    You're 90% correct It's the junction of Aungier Street and Digges Street Upper. Well done leche solara! :D

stumped absolutely stumped they must be all southside
    Yup - I've used up most of my Northside pics. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It's possibly a Guinness building (I don't know) but I'd prefer the name of the street.

Re 'The Coombe' do you mean the actual 'Coombe' i.e. the street which runs between Pimlico and Patrick's Street or do you mean the general area.

I remember passing by it on the 150 when the route went that way. If its where i think it is, its visible from Cork Street about 20 yards before it meets dean st

I remember passing by it on the 150 when the route went that way. If its where i think it is, its visible from Cork Street about 20 yards before it meets dean st
    I doubt very much that it's visible from Cork Street - as it's 5 or 6 streets away.

• Advertisement

It's Thursday night lads and I'm heading out to bathe the lips.

I'll post back later if I'm still co-herent! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

2. Newmarket Sq?
    3. Corner of Dean St & Cork St
    5. St James's Avenue opposite Echlin St.

I've absolutely no idea about 4.

It's Thursday night lads and I'm heading out to bathe the lips.

I'll post back later if I'm still co-herent! :)

ya gotta love that guy!!!

goin to do the same right now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

(Did you notice lads that it's really only a 'hard core' who answer. It's a pity in a way because I think the others don't get any enjoyment anymore as the pics are identified too quickly. :()
    I think the City Centre ones have a greater chance of being recognised by more people.

While I can't speak for anyone else (especially as I'm just in from a few myself:)), I still enjoy reading the ones I don't recognise at all. As a relative newbie to Dublin, the more obscure ones are well beyond me, but there's always the chance I might have passed and recognised them.

I'm still shocked at how Victor got my "that could be anywhere" one.:confused::)

BendiBus wrote: »
    2. Newmarket Sq?
    Well done - it's the junction of Brabazon Place and Newmarket. :)
    BendiBus wrote:
    3. Corner of Dean St & Cork St
    You're not making it easy for me BendiBus! As stated previously, Cork Street and Dean Street don't meet as Ardee street and The Coombe are in between. ;)

But in saying that, I'll have to give it to you as it is Dean Street alright. :)

BendiBus wrote:
    5. St James's Avenue opposite Echlin St.
    Again, I'll have to give it too you. The actual street is Grand Canal Place which is between Echlin Street and St James Avenue. :)

Just no. 4 to go! :D

This one remains!

4-14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

I'll try get some for tomorrow. They'll all be Northside too. Great tread - pity I'm useless at it though :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

You're not making it easy for me BendiBus! As stated previously, Cork Street and Dean Street don't meet as Ardee street and The Coombe are in between. ;)

But in saying that, I'll have to give it to you as it is Dean Street alright. :)

Well, if we're going to be pedantic ( ;) ), then I should point out that Ardee St & The Coombe aren't in between anymore. The Coombe Relief Road takes you directly from the picture to Cork St.

So to correctly answer the question, I amend my answer to "The corner of Dean St and The Coombe Relief Road! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

This one remains!

4-14.jpg

It's not Drury Street is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ideo wrote: »
    It's not Drury Street is it?
    I believe it is. For a moment I though it was nearby Street.
    cast_iron wrote: »
    I'm still shocked at how Victor got my "that could be anywhere" one.:confused::)
    It was discussed here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055179664
    BendiBus wrote: »
    So to correctly answer the question, I amend my answer to "The corner of Dean St and The Coombe Relief Road! :D
    St. Lukes Avenue if you please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement