Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The damage happened quite a while after the Rising/Civil War times, but in another 'big' event.

One of three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

is merrion road considered city centre?

I was thinking parnell end of Moore street but your recent event and blue painted cult pub nearby suggest otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not Merrion Road.
    Somewhere in your post you mentioned the right street.
    Many people think the pub next door to this building is shut - it's 'that' bad-looking from the outside.
    (It's like a relic of 1978 inside - I'd safely say that's when it was last done up, if not cleaned...)

parnell street so, beside the blue lion

love ulster shinanagins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'm curious to find out what this pub is.

I'd presume the event you're talking about is the Nelson Pillar bombing, but could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Exit wrote:
    I'm curious to find out what this pub is..
    I can only think of fibbers or the biker bar down the road. can't think of any "cult" pubs in range of nelsons column that could of been damaged. Trying to think of any protests come street riots over the years. Was thinking british embassy but obviously wrong side of town.

Parnell Street yes, but not the Blue Lion.

It's next door to the the Welcome Inn - actually not a bad pub, if you can find it open.
    The damage to the clock happened during the Dublin bombings of May 1974.

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/thewelcomeinn.html

Here's a review:
    Despite its dingy interior, which boasts horrid flock wallpaper and formica counter tops, the Welcome Inn is one of the friendlier pubs on Dublin's north side. Attracting generally a young crowd, this unpretentious bar is the second home to many of the inner city's up and coming artists, writers and musicians, as well as a diverse range of often eccentric locals. The bar-staff have a reputation for being rather tempermental, but if you're polite to them, you'll be welcome, and will almost certainly come back. Don't be afraid...

Hurrah for flock I say.

Ha, thats a good discription of the welcome inn alright. Local winos and students too drunk to get past fibbers door man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

spurious wrote:
    Here's a review:
    Despite its dingy interior, which boasts horrid flock wallpaper and formica counter tops, the Welcome Inn is one of the friendlier pubs on Dublin's north side. Attracting generally a young crowd, this unpretentious bar is the second home to many of the inner city's up and coming artists, writers and musicians, as well as a diverse range of often eccentric locals. The bar-staff have a reputation for being rather tempermental, but if you're polite to them, you'll be welcome, and will almost certainly come back. Don't be afraid...

Hurrah for flock I say.

Jees, that was my local when I as in Cathal Brugha Street college. The review above I must say is accurate, except being afraid was a good idea.....kept you on your toes!

Hmmm, judging from the picture on that site, I may have been there once on a drunken, student night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The Blue Lion is now gone. The building is occupied by one of the many asian restaurants up that end.

What happened to the clock on the building then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,967 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fibbers?

The Blue Lion is now gone. The building is occupied by one of the many asian restaurants up that end.

What happened to the clock on the building then?
    It was damaged during the Dublin bombimgs in 1974. You can just see the bottom of it in this photo:
    parnell1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Here's a few fairly easy one's:
    pic1ns9.jpg

pic3cr7.jpg

pic4rt8.jpg

And a pretty tough one unless you work or live around here:
    pic2bq7.jpg

1st one is at Merchants Arch I think.
    2nd is across from Stephen's Green, can't remember the street name.
    3rd one I'm sure I know, but it's not coming to me right now.

yeah first 2 correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

is the second last one dorset street?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

leonards corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Is the 3rd one the cornerstone pub on the corner of Kevin St & Wexford St?

• Advertisement

philcsl wrote:
    Is the 3rd one the cornerstone pub on the corner of Kevin St & Wexford St?
    That's it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Is No. 4 Long Lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Number 4 is McGuinness place just off Pearse st, i know it because i live around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What about this one?

DublinPicture-1.jpg

Looks very like the entrance to the Botanic Gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

deswalsh wrote:
    Looks very like the entrance to the Botanic Gardens
    Yup - you can see part of the word 'Botanic' on the gate on the left!

Anto McC wrote:
    Number 4 is McGuinness place just off Pearse st, i know it because i live around the corner.
    That's it. I'm trying to work out who you are. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

eirebhoy wrote:
    That's it. I'm trying to work out who you are. ;)

Clue is in the name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Noone has posted one for a while so here goes, pretty easy, I think.

IMG_0006.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

pearse st

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement