Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sort of, you tend to move through familiar street without thinking consciously of their proper names, like me saying Cork St instead of Dolphin's Barn Street. I know personally the owners of every shop in that picture, the owner of the flower boutique was my next door neighbour. Bernie, the florist, was my mother's best friend for years. Harry Callaghan use to put half-randals on my Winstanley brogues. Ladola's chipper, un-named in picture was famous for miles. People came on buses to buy his food.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

luckat wrote: »
    Sorry - 4 and 7.

9 looks like the road going up to Meath Street from Marrowbone Lane, but I'm not sure - it's a few years since I've gone up that way.

4 was gotten by hagar a while back alright and 7 was gotten already too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

well i'm 19 years old and a northsider and i find that the minute there's a pic of the southside that i go back into my shell. just don't recognise it at all. it would be like a different town to me. Whereas i think myself that i am good on the northside
    I'll try to get a few from the northside during the week. I've used most of what I had in recent weeks. (You're too quick with them anyway :D)

*makes note - get some really obscure northside ones for Carroller*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Coming in late on this. What's a half-randal? (We had one of them but the wheel came off?)

Hagar wrote: »
    Sort of, you tend to move through familiar street without thinking consciously of their proper names, like me saying Cork St instead of Dolphin's Barn Street. I know personally the owners of every shop in that picture, the owner of the flower boutique was my next door neighbour. Bernie, the florist, was my mother's best friend for years. Harry Callaghan use to put half-randals on my Winstanley brogues. Ladola's chipper, un-named in picture was famous for miles. People came on buses to buy his food.
    Do you miss Dublin Hagar and do you come home much?

• Advertisement

ah half randals, but on the george webbs surely hagar??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

they can be as obscure as ya "wish" (no pun intended) they still won't break me

Coming in late on this. What's a half-randal? (We had one of them but the wheel came off?)
    They were metal pieces built into the outer part of the heel of leather shoes. They made a great noise when you walked. I haven't seem them in years.

I've have only been home once in 3 years, last April for a wedding.
    I'm going to have to get home somehow in the spring.
    I didn't realised I missed it that much 'til I found this thread.

Oh, those little horseshoe things! Is that what they're called?

They were the cause of tap-dancing developing separate but parallel in the mill towns of England and the industrial north of America. In both cases, the boys walking home from work late at night - the millworkers and miners in England, the black lads who worked in the car factories and ironworks in America - did their traditional soft-shoe dancing, and found that if they put a bit of oomph into it, their steel-tipped boots set sparks flying off the cobbled streets.

They were metal pieces built into the outer part of the heel of leather shoes. They made a great noise when you walked. I haven't seem them in years.
    We simply called them "tips". They were de rigeur in the late 1970s /early 1980s!

Hagar wrote:
    I'm going to have to get home somehow in the spring.
    I didn't realised I missed it that much 'til I found this thread.
    You'll be spending all your time taking pics! :D

• Advertisement

he better!!! :D

The horseshoe would have protected the whole heel and was usually only found on boots. The half-randal was crescent shaped and only protected the outer part of the heel.

Sorry for dragging this so far off topic, but maybe little local history adds a bit of real Dublin life to the pics?

I had George Webbs all right but also supported Irish made Winstanley's :)

And a wild guess - 5 wouldn't be Rialto Buildings (or whatever snob name they've put on it now), would it?
    What street are the Rialto Buildings on?

Rialto Buildings are on Rialto Street. I think they were built for Guinness middle management in the 19th century, but I'm not sure. They're featured in Craig's book on Dublin.

Rialto Buildings are on Rialto Street. I think they were built for Guinness middle management in the 19th century, but I'm not sure. They're featured in Craig's book on Dublin.
    No, that would put them behind St James's Hospital - the pic is a good bit east of there.

These two remain unsolved.

(No. 9 has just come back to me - I definitely know now where it is for sure and can recall taking the picture. That's a multi -storey car park at the top of the pic and it's a clu de sac in Dublin 2)

5-16.jpg

10.jpg[/QUOTE]

5. Waste ground off Ardee Street / Blackpitts ?

5. Waste ground off Ardee Street / Blackpitts ?
    I don't think so. If I recall correctly, there was a former filling station beside it but now just did tyres or car servicing. The site is surrounded by metal fencing - I placed the camera between the bars to take the pic.

9 is just off andrews lane then?

copacetic wrote: »
    9 is just off andrews lane then?
    No but just a little north of Andrew's Lane.

• Advertisement

Bride Street perhaps opp Peter's Street.

Bride Street perhaps
    Yup - that's what I have.(or New Bride Street?). Well done! :D

i knew it would come down to 9 :D

i knew it would come down to 5
    Eh, 5 is just gone!

This baby remains.

10.jpg[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

yeah ... eh that's wha I said lOOk! :D

yeah ... eh that's wha I said lOOk! :D
    Cheeky! :p

Clue?

Benburb Street?

yeah go on wishbone

2 words.
    2nd word is 'Row'
    cul de sac
    Dublin 2

It derives it's name from the fact that it was (is?) the rear entrance to significant and well known building. This building housed a particular institution but no longer serves that function.

• Advertisement

parliament row so looking at fleet st car park..

will squeeze in a small one as it cut down nice..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement