Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is no. 4 on St Stephen's Green North?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Here's a pic I came across today from the 1950s - anyone wanna have a shot? Bridge ain't there these days and I never even knew it existed!

guesswherehi0.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Would that be the Howth road...?

raheny red wrote: »
    Here's a pic I came across today from the 1950s - anyone wanna have a shot? Bridge ain't there these days and I never even knew it existed!

guesswherehi0.jpg
    Dartry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Might it be sutton junction?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Is no. 4 on St Stephen's Green North?

No, 'fraid not

deswalsh wrote: »
    No, 'fraid not
    mmmmm.....back to the drawing board!

You'd hardly have an oul clue lying around des? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it just as you come into Howth?
    The train station would be on the left after you go under the bridge?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

raheny red wrote: »

guesswherehi0.jpg

merrion road crossroads.

edit - actually maybe spurious is right I think, it may be the old tram up howth head?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

Looks like Howth by the Bloody Stream, very interesting

photo.2123042581_feb96d2897_o.jpg

You can still see where the Rail ran from Google Earth after 50 Years.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

link for howth tram pics, looks like it alright:
    http://www.trolleybus.net/hoh.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

mmmmm.....back to the drawing board!

You'd hardly have an oul clue lying around des? :D

Well here's the uncropped image, so it should give it away. Kudos if you can tell me why its there!

Perhaps I've cropped in too far on this one but I thought yourself or Hagar would get this in a flash!
    DPG007A.jpg

deswalsh wrote: »
    Well here's the uncropped image, so it should give it away. Kudos if you can tell me why its there!

Perhaps I've cropped in too far on this one but I thought yourself or Hagar would get this in a flash!
    DPG007A.jpg
    Dublin Castle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No 4. The old Weights and Measures Office in Harry St. perhaps?

Hagar wrote: »
    I thought they were located in Dublin Castle (hence my last post!).

They may be now but in 1880 they were in Harry St near where the Westbury is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

spurious wrote: »
    Is it just as you come into Howth?
    The train station would be on the left after you go under the bridge?

Yup, it is indeed. Thought it was a great pic so decided to fling it up!

Dublin Castle?
    No

No

Here's a description of the building to tease some more. If doesnt do it I'll just tell ya!
    Erected between 1769 and 1779 in Corinthian style, with three fronts of Portland stone. The interior is designed as a circle within a square, with fluted columns supporting a dome shaped roof over the central hall.

(The modern day metrology offices are under the auspices of the NSAI and are located in glasnevin )

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Just outside the castle, City Hall on Cork hill !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Rates office Cork Hill

• Advertisement

Just outside the castle, City Hall on Cork hill !!!

Well done, thebossofme. Its on the outside of City Hall alright. I assume it was placed on the outside so people could determine what the official measures were at one point. There is a plaque over it but its very worn and I couldnt make out what it said.

Cheers Des, I have to admit I can't remember seeing that stone when I did a tour of City Hall a couple of years ago. For some reason this seemed to stick in my brain,
    The interior is designed as a circle within a square,

Unfortunately I've been working constant night shifts and haven't got a chance to take any photos, so if anyone has any please feel free to post away....!

Well done 'the boss of me' on the last one. :)

Here's a few Dublin 8 specials to keep you all going! Some difficult ones! :eek:

1-36.jpg

2-31.jpg

3-32.jpg

4-27.jpg

5-26.jpg

Some tough ones there alright Wishbone ! The only one I'm sure of is no 3 , not sure what that says about me :eek: Is no 1 Ardee St ??

Some tough ones there alright Wishbone !
    If it's Dublin 8, some have to be "Hagar proof"! :D

Is no 1 Ardee St ??
    Yup - the easiest by far. Well done! :)

I'll stay out of this to be fair, I don't want to be a spoilsport. Great pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I think I should do as Hagar too... nice to see you made it down there, Wishbone!! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'll stay out of this to be fair, I don't want to be a spoilsport. Great pics.

But are the making you miss home...?Somehow I don't think so the south of France has that effect on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Is 2 Chancery Lane?

• Advertisement

BendiBus wrote: »
    Is 2 Chancery Lane?
    That's impressive Bendi - well done. :) (Dublin Castle buildings in the background).

boneless wrote: »
    I think I should do as Hagar too... nice to see you made it down there, Wishbone!! ;)
    I took these a while back - well before our recent chat!

Hagar and boneless - feel free to identify the pics at any time! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement