Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

Dubsmax wrote: »
    I hope Ya don't mind Me putting a few Pic's up, mixed Bag with some Festive thrown in.. :D

2134316104_3de7cbceb5_b.jpg

2134311036_5133a9c7fb_b.jpg

2134355512_6606b85ab9_b.jpg

2133583873_4273935d96_b.jpg

5. 2133590637_1c3bc7a294_b.jpg

Page 100

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

1.castleknock/ratoath??

2.fiat building/red cow

3.RDS

4.cemetery howth road?

5.hotel on corner of talbot/gardiner st.

flynner13 wrote: »
    1.castleknock/ratoath??

2.fiat building/red cow

3.RDS

4.cemetery howth road?

5.hotel on corner of talbot/gardiner st.

1.castleknock/ratoath?? No

2.fiat building/red cow No

3.RDS No

4.cemetery howth road? No (not to far away)

5.hotel on corner of talbot/gardiner st. Yes it is indeed.. O'Sheas on the corner of Gardiner St & Talbot St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Number 4 is on Fairview Strand. The year on the front is actually the Hebrew date, it was built in 1857 by our calendars. :) It stands at what is Dublin's oldest Jewish cemetary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

@WishBone, I'm also aka for the mo as GutShot@CHLs. Thanks for clearing that up - had me confussed half the day, especially since my refs on the Dock said Dublin 4?!? You were right about the black and white mooring and lock appendage (whatever it's called) - nice clue. Also copped that batchelors walk one this morning (7pm - too late, ho hum. I/he says)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dubsmax, is No 1 a house in Thorndale, Artane?
    Pretty sure I used to live near that house.

Joe Robot wrote: »
    Number 4 is on Fairview Strand. The year on the front is actually the Hebrew date, it was built in 1857 by our calendars. :) It stands at what is Dublin's oldest Jewish cemetary.

It sure is, I always wondered what that Date was about but that explains it.

micmclo wrote: »
    Dubsmax, is No 1 a house in Thorndale, Artane?
    Pretty sure I used to live near that house.

Thats right it's the one in Thorndale, Ya can see the Glow from around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I appear to have made an error through my own ignorance! :o:o:o

When GutShot mentioned Camden Lock, I thought he/she was referring to the canal further West. After reading Victor's post, it now appears that he/she was correct all along.

I took the pic from Britain Quay but did not realise that the entry to the Grand Canal Docks was known as Camden Lock!

Apologies GutShot - well done! :)

GrandCanalDocks.jpg

GrandCanalCanalDocks2.jpg

Not nitpicking, but i'm sure that's in D4 rather than D2?

Grand canal dock is always known to be in D4 :)

We need a postcode boundary street map to prove it:D (only found this useless one! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DublinPC.svg)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Dubsmax No3 - Finglas Village, Molloys Off License.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No 3 looks like the pub in Coolock (Northside SC). Used to be the black sheep, though I'm not sure its called that still.

deswalsh wrote: »
    No 3 looks like the pub in Coolock (Northside SC). Used to be the black sheep, though I'm not sure its called that still.

Its on the Northside all right but not a Pub

Slunk wrote: »
    Dubsmax No3 - Finglas Village, Molloys Off License.

Spot on Slunk it is Molloys in Finglas Village, Good spot.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dubsmax - is no. 2 Dublin Port?

PS - this pic is still up for grabs from my last set!

2. Dublin 1 - Located on a very busy area but it is one of those little enclaves that most people don't notice as their attentions are focused elsewhere.

2-32.jpg

gurramok wrote: »
    Not nitpicking, but i'm sure that's in D4 rather than D2?

Grand canal dock is always known to be in D4 :)
    I debated that with myself and decided to stick with Dublin 2 - using the rationale that the Dodder may divide D2 and D4 around there.

Looks like I have made a proper balls of that one! :D
    gurramock wrote:
    We need a postcode boundary street map to prove it:D (only found this useless one! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DublinPC.svg)
    Yes, it would be very useful. The guide in that link is the same as the one in the telephone book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sio i'Cork like

Yes I recon dubmaxs no.2 is bond drive down the docks, and wishbones no.2, I'm not sure, but I think it could be around Sean McDermot Street, but you did say it was a busy street, so i'm not so sure, but it's the only place in dublin 1 with two or three story buildings that I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

wishbone is that one just off parnell street. There's a pub out on the street front, aparts above and a sneaky lane like that one to the side for car access to the aparts.

and wishbones no.2, I'm not sure, but I think it could be around Sean McDermot Street, but you did say it was a busy street, so i'm not so sure, but it's the only place in dublin 1 with two or three story buildings that I can think of.
    clown bag wrote: »
    wishbone is that one just off parnell street. There's a pub out on the street front, aparts above and a sneaky lane like that one to the side for car access to the aparts.
    Not Sean McDermott Street or Parnell Street. It's west of O'Connell Street and in a much busier area. Luas Red Line passes by it! ;)

Dubsmax - is no. 2 Dublin Port?

PS - this pic is still up for grabs from my last set!

2. Dublin 1 - Located on a very busy area but it is one of those little enclaves that most people don't notice as their attentions are focused elsewhere.

2-32.jpg

Yes Wishbone No.2 is indeed Dublin Port.

Your No 2 Wouldn't be the Lane beside the old Hector Greys on Liffey St?

Yes Wishbone No.2 is indeed Dublin Port.
    :D I thought it was obvious enough. (I was at work all day so I didn't see your pics until tonight but I surprised no. 2 wasn't identified earlier.The only other one I would have known was O'Shea's ;))
    Dubsmax wrote:
    Your No 2 Wouldn't be the Lane beside the old Hector Greys on Liffey St?
    I don't think I know where the 'old Hector Grey's' was but you are very close alright with Liffey Street!

EDIT: Congrats on the 2,000th post! :D

• Advertisement

:D I thought it was obvious enough. (I was at work all day so I didn't see your pics until tonight but I surprised no. 2 wasn't identified earlier.The only other one I would have known was O'Shea's ;))

I don't think I know where the 'old Hector Grey's' was but you are very close alright with Liffey Street!

EDIT: Congrats on the 2,000th post! :D

The lane I had in mind was on Upr Liffey Street opposite M&S

The lane I had in mind was on Upr Liffey Street opposite M&S
    You're probably thinking of Propy's Lane. It's literally a stone's throw away from there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Joe Robot wrote: »

Nice one, always wondered what the odd date was about on that building - cheers :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You're probably thinking of Propy's Lane. It's literally a stone's throw away from there! ;)

Abbey Cottages opp M&S loading ramp is the only other lane I can see within a stone's throw...??

tricky D wrote: »
    Abbey Cottages opp M&S loading ramp is the only other lane I can see within a stone's throw...??
    A Blue Peter badge is on it's way to tricky D. Well done - Abbey Cottages it is! :) (off Abbey street).

AbbeyCottages.jpg

OK folks, here are your St Stephen's Night specials:

A nice little mixed bag.

1-38.jpg

11-5.jpg

3-34.jpg

2-33.jpg

4-29.jpg

22-1.jpg

5-28.jpg

33-1.jpg

44-1.jpg

55-2.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is number one Wexford street/Aungier street...?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The canal divides D2 & D4. However, I wonder who actually delivers post to the lock-keepers house, a D2 postman or a D4 one.
    tricky D wrote: »
    Gah! I had it worked out from the Luas hint.

1 Redmond's Hill, between Aungier Street and Wexford Street, D2/8.
    2 Green Street (you left a clue), D7
    3 Misery Hill, D2
    4 St. Partick's Cathedral, D8
    5 Aungier Street, D2/8
    6 Stumped Street - Its a city council depot (?) in D7, but not the one on Grangegorman or Stoneybatter. The chimney looks like one might expect to see in a hospital.
    7 Lower Baggot Street, D2
    8 Well, the owner should be in Mountjoy. :(
    9 Morningstar Avenue, D7.
    10 Bow Street, D7

Victor wrote: »
    1 Redmond's Hill, between Aungier Street and Wexford Street, D2/8.
    Yes.
    2 Green Street (you left a clue), D7
    Yes. (I didn't see the clue until now and thought it was a nice non-descript pic :o)
    3 Misery Hill, D2
    No (but very close ;)).
    4 St. Patrick's Cathedral, D8
    No (go again ;))
    5 Aungier Street, D2/8
    No (the other one ;))
    6 Stumped Street - Its a city council depot (?) in D7, but not the one on Grangegorman or Stoneybatter. The chimney looks like one might expect to see in a hospital.
    Yes,it's a city council depot alright!
    7 Lower Baggot Street, D2
    No (way off).
    8 Well, the owner should be in Mountjoy. :(
    :eek:
    9 Morningstar Avenue, D7.
    Yes.
    10 Bow Street, D7
    Yes.

Very impressive Victor - 5 correct and almost correct on 2 more! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Number 5 is Wexford Street I think. The birth place of Robert Noonan, aka Robert Tressell, author of the "Ragged Trousered Philantrapists".

Number 3: Hanover Street East? Down that way anyhow!!:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement