Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes, both correct, well done on Lime st!

Just no. 1 left!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gurramok wrote: »
    Just no. 1 left!
    Hanover Quay?

Nope not hanover, its one of the quays alright

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

John Rogersons Quay I believe.

There's a guy who parks a coffee cart beside that building and he sells the best coffee in Dublin, bar none. Try for yourself the next time you're down there. :)

Your extremely close, i took that foto while emerging from Windmill Lane. Like the other answer your quay leads onto the next quay for the answer!

Never noticed the coffee cart before though i mostly drive by there.(admittingly mostly in evenings!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Did I say John Rogersons ? I meant City Quay ;)

Tbh I can never remember where City Quay stops and JRs starts.....

Yeh City quay, well done! Not sure what that buildings purpose is, anyone know?

Tbh I can never remember where City Quay stops and JRs starts.....
    I think it's at the Lime Street junction but I'm open to correction.
    Isn't it a small world! I should have known that pic as I stood there only last week while taking a 'phone call. I had my back against those doors. :o

The building used to be used for yacht building but I'm not sure if it still is.

(There's a similar looking structure on Hanover Quay hence my previous guess. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They were originally warehouses and there was quite a few more of them on several quays. Goods would be unloaded direct from ships, into these warehouses and would then be moved to larger warehouses or to customers. Some of the warehouses had private tunnels under the public road to the main warehouse. The idea was to reduce piflering and speed unloading.

OK folks, here's a few more for you to get your teeth into!. There should be something for everyone! :D

1-39.jpg

2-34.jpg

3. (I'm looking for the correct name - it's often incorrectly referred to by two other names).

3-35.jpg

4-30.jpg

5-29.jpg

6-2.jpg

7-2.jpg

8-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

10-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No 2 O'Connell Street. Used to be a bank .. BOI/AIB? Now a dentist I think or plastic surgery maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

2. O Conell Street
    3. Very familiar, going to bug me :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

2)Looks like O'Connell street, A couple of doors up from Ann Summers.

GBX wrote: »
    No 2 O'Connell Street. Used to be a bank .. BOI/AIB? Now a dentist I think or plastic surgery maybe.
    Slunk wrote: »
    2. O Conell Street
    Dub13 wrote: »
    2)Looks like O'Connell street
    Well done lads, it's the Smiles Dental Clinic on Lower O'Connell Street.

Copyof2.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well done lads, it's the Spa Dental Clinic on Lowetr O'Connell Street.

Thats a fine bulding....I wounder what it was built for maybe a bank by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

1. Merrion Sq
    4. Burgh Quay Virgin Megastore Building
    8. Cork St. Chamber St flats in background.
    9. School St.?

/Edit

7. The Bunker Wood Quay.

Hagar wrote: »
    1. Merrion Sq
    No.
    4. Burgh Quay Virgin Megastore Building
    Yup! (Now a Super Valu).

McBirneyCoLtd2.jpg
    8. Cork St. Chamber St flats in background.
    Yes (is it Cathedral Lane?)
    9. School St.?
    No.

7/ The Bunker Wood Quay.
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

3 is Cork Street, I think.

6 might be Church Road, Eastwall.

Great photos btw.

Edit. 6 is wrong. No speedbumps. I think it's Dublin 3 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mr. Magoo

7 is the Millennium Bridge

Ciaran B wrote: »
    3 is Cork Street, I think.
    Go again Ciaran but use it's correct name! ;)
    6 might be Church Road, Eastwall.

Great photos btw.

Edit. 6 is wrong. No speedbumps. I think it's Dublin 3 though.
    No.

• Advertisement

Mr. Magoo wrote: »
    7 is the Millennium Bridge
    It is indeed Mr Magoo. :)

1. St Patrick's Park, Patrick Street.
    2. Smiles Dental Clinic, Upper O'Connell Street. Formerly Bak of Ireland (there were 3 BOIs from O'Connell Bridge to the Rotunda, now one). I ahve photos from the roof. :)
    3. Hamburg, 1946 or perhaps St. Lukes Avenue / Cork Street.
    4. Super Valu, Aston Quay. Forely Virgin Megastone, previously McBirney's Department Stone
    5. Frobes Street, South Docks, looking from Sir John Rogerson's Quay, towards new apartment block on Gand Canal Quay at the Waterways Visitors Centre
    6. South Lotts Road, looking towards Ringsend Road.
    7. Dedication Plaque, The Spire of Dublin, O'Connell Street.
    8. Post office, Upper Kevin Street (its on the bus stop, but I nearly had it from the bus routes), at the corner of Cathedral Lane.
    9. Google throws up Grand Canal Quay, but there are no council flats there. Hmmmm. Might it be Mark's Lane / Lombard Street? The flats I think are Countess Markievicz Flats.
    10.Ship Street Great. Note the Central Bank and the Dame Court telecommunications mast.

Yes (is it Cathedral Lane?)
    Kevin Street Upper!

Victor wrote: »
    1. St Patrick's Park, Patrick Street.
    Yes.
    2. Smiles Dental Clinic, Upper O'Connell Street. Formerly Bak of Ireland (there were 3 BOIs from O'Connell Bridge to the Rotunda, now one). I ahve photos from the roof. :)
    Yes.(done already)
    3 St. Lukes Avenue / Cork Street.
    Yes (St Luke's Avenue - often incorrectly referred to as Cork Street or the Coombe Relief Road.
    4. Super Valu, Aston Quay. Forely Virgin Megastone, previously McBirney's Department Stone
    Yes (done already)
    5. Frobes Street, South Docks, looking from Sir John Rogerson's Quay, towards new apartment block on Gand Canal Quay at the Waterways Visitors Centre
    Yes (Forbes St)
    6. South Lotts Road, looking towards Ringsend Road.
    No.
    7. Dedication Plaque, The Spire of Dublin, O'Connell Street.
    No
    8. Post office, Upper Kevin Street (its on the bus stop, but I nearly had it from the bus routes), at the corner of Cathedral Lane.
    Yes.
    9. Google throws up Grand Canal Quay, but there are no council flats there. Hmmmm. Might it be Mark's Lane / Lombard Street? The flats I think are Countess Markievicz Flats.
    Mark's Lane it is.
    10.Ship Street Great. Note the Central Bank and the Dame Court telecommunications mast.
    Victor, did you inadvertantly get that wrong. It a similar type name.
    Kevin Street Upper!
    Yes - Hagar was confusing me!

Victor, did you inadvertantly get that wrong. It a similar type name.
    I presume it is the car aprk in the middle here or one of the warehouses that have been demolished. Ship Street Little is perpendicular to Ship Street Great and we are looking at the back of Dublin Castle. I don't think I've ever been down there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=dublin&ie=UTF8&ll=53.341764,-6.26843&spn=0.002934,0.007231&z=17&om=1

I presume it is the car aprk in the middle here or one of the warehouses that have been demolished. Ship Street Little is perpendicular to Ship Street Great and we are looking at the back of Dublin Castle. I don't think I've ever been down there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=dublin&ie=UTF8&ll=53.341764,-6.26843&spn=0.002934,0.007231&z=17&om=1
    No, you didn't inadvertantly put in the wrong name then so. You're way off! :D (But when the pic is identified, you'll see where I was coming from! ;))

These two remain:

6-2.jpg

10-2.jpg[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Interesting thread lads, fair played to yiz...slightly off topic but on the same theme, can anyone name a "Road" in the immediate city centre and I mean very central in the city, ill narrow the term city centre if ur stuck but judging by how well some of yee know ur town ill be surprised if someone doesnt come up with the goods

alanceltic wrote: »
    Interesting thread lads, fair played to yiz...slightly off topic but on the same theme, can anyone name a "Road" in the immediate city centre and I mean very central in the city, ill narrow the term city centre if ur stuck but judging by how well some of yee know ur town ill be surprised if someone doesnt come up with the goods
    Memorial Road is probably the nearest to the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

v good im impressed.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement