Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1. Farmleigh?

2. Masonic Hall but which one! (St Stephen's green?).

3. (I'm intrigued! :D)

Great pics Des.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

1. Farmleigh?.

No.
    2. Masonic Hall but which one! (St Stephen's green?)..

Which one indeed! Not St. Stephens Green.
    3. (I'm intrigued! :D).

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1. National Museum / Library, Kildare Street - because of the shadow, I would go with the Museum. Farmleigh is actually immensely medicore on the outside when you are close up.

2. Masonic Hall, Molesworth Street. Whereis the one on St. Stephen's Green. I am aware of Merrion Street (now the Davenport) and Ballsbridge (now Bewleys).

3. Is it actually a street - is it actually more suburban?

Victor wrote: »
    2. Masonic Hall, Molesworth Street. Whereis the one on St. Stephen's Green
    Moleworth Street of course! :o I was confusing it with the Gentlemen's Clubs. :)

Moleworth Street of course! :o I was confusing it with the Gentlemen's Clubs. :)
    I think the polite term is Dining Clubs.

They once let me into the foyer without a jacket. :eek:

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

1. National Museum / Library, Kildare Street - because of the shadow, I would go with the Museum. Farmleigh is actually immensely medicore on the outside when you are close up.

2. Masonic Hall, Molesworth Street. Whereis the one on St. Stephen's Green. I am aware of Merrion Street (now the Davenport) and Ballsbridge (now Bewleys).

3. Is it actually a street - is it actually more suburban?

It's actually the National Library. I went in there for the first time ever on the day I took the photo. Fabulous building inside.

2 is the Masonic Hall in Molesworth Street. I had lunch in there once as a guest of the RIA, and it too is a fantastic building inside.

3. Not suburban, Southside D1.

deswalsh wrote: »
    3. Not suburban, Southside D1.
    D1 is exclusively northside. :( Would it be Upper Fitzwilliam Street (Fitzwilliam Square-Baggot Street), the casement windows on the left look familiar.

D1 is exclusively northside. :(
    Perhaps he meant the south end of Dublin 1?

Apologies, D2!! Losing the run of meself there for a mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Is. No 3 Merrion Sq? Westland row perhaps?

• Advertisement

Ideo wrote: »
    Is. No 3 Merrion Sq? Westland row perhaps?

You tell me Ideo, which one is it?

Westland Row?

Westland Row?

Westland Row it is. The decorative detail runs along the tops of pretty much all of the buildings on the trinity college side. I dont have a proper picture of the full stret as I was being hassled big time by one of those foreign beggars and I was wary that she'd try grabbing a bag or somethng while I was busy taking snaps. This is the best I could get and of course a bloody bus drove into shot!!:
    DSCN3129.jpg

deswalsh wrote: »
    Westland Row it is. The decorative detail runs along the tops of pretty much all of the buildings on the trinity college side
    I find it difficult to believe that I never noticed that before! Well done again Ideo. :)
    deswalsh wrote:
    a bloody bus drove into shot!!:
    That happens to me all the time!

By the way lads, this one remains to be identified from my last batch. ;)

2-36.jpg

Thanks Wishbone!

I'll tel you what gave it away to me:

1. it runs on 'one side of the street' - most georgian streets have georgian buildings on both sides, so if this runs on one side only it got me thinking that there might be no georgian buildings on the other side. kinda true in this case!

2. the blinds in the windows are the same, yet the differences in the size of the buildings had me thinking that there wouldnt be many joint georgian buildings of this nature, and trinity occupies all the buildings on this side of westland row so that was my guess! :D

anyway its not the north lotts no? have you ever been in the stephens green club wishbone?? - its seriously impressive!

Thanks Wishbone!

I'll tel you what gave it away to me:

1. it runs on 'one side of the street' - most georgian streets have georgian buildings on both sides, so if this runs on one side only it got me thinking that there might be no georgian buildings on the other side. kinda true in this case!

2. the blinds in the windows are the same, yet the differences in the size of the buildings had me thinking that there wouldnt be many joint georgian buildings of this nature, and trinity occupies all the buildings on this side of westland row so that was my guess! :D
    I don't think my brain stretches that far! :D
    Ideo wrote:
    anyway its not the north lotts no?
    No but you're in the right part of Dublin 1. It's a "Place". ;)
    Ideo wrote:
    have you ever been in the stephens green club wishbone?? - its seriously impressive!
    Never had the pleasure. Are you a member? :eek:

No, not a member unfortunately but I was at a few rotaract events there before. Its V Cool!

Is ot Ormond Place?

Is ot Ormond Place?
    No - it's nearer the centre.

(Ormond Place would be Dublin 7 ;))

Wouldn't be Henry Place then?

Wouldn't be Henry Place then?
    Well done :) - I suppose it was a bit unfair posting Henry Place again but I thought it was an interesting pic..

The picture is from near it's junction with Moore Lane on the Moore Street direction.

It's a bit weird. I've Googled every combination of Goodalls with Henry Street/Henry Place/Moore Lane etc. and not one return. Presumably they must have had a premises on Henry Street years ago. I must figure out which present day Henry Street shop has that as their rear.

• Advertisement

Here's a few more. Going by the very high standards here, I can't see these lasting long!

1-42.jpg

2-37.jpg

3-38.jpg

4-33.jpg

5-32.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No 3 down Gardiner St?

GBX wrote: »
    No 3 down Gardiner St?
    No.

(It's funny, I was just thinking to myself that it reminded me of Gardiner Street :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No. 1 - Kevin st upper?

No 2, somewhere in Chinatown :D

gurramok wrote: »
    No. 1 - Kevin st upper?
    Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

No 4 - Garda traffic unit , Dublin castle ?

Beechman wrote: »
    No 4 - Garda traffic unit , Dublin castle ?
    Spot on Beechman - Traffic Corps and Carriage Office I think.

DublinCastleCarriageOffice.jpg

I know the building in No 5 but I can't think of where it is. Grafton St maybe?

No 1 - Phibsborough perhaps?

These are really tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Is no 3 nassau st/lincoln place with trinity in the background? think its a bagel shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

#1 is James' Street
    #5 is Palace Street

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement