Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭leche solara

The building site is indeed the demolished Classic Cinema in Harolds Cross taken from the upstairs of a bus. Well spotted.

The church is the Chapel Royal in Dublin Castle.

That only leaves the Horse Shoe, the creeper covered building , and the rear of building. Clue to this: its a very well known centre city place, and while that actual view is not seen by the public it is partially visible if you were to look closely for it.

Ok here are the remaining ones...
    h.jpg

For some reason it reminds me of the Pearse Museum in St. Endas Park in Rathfarnham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Is the Horse Shoe in North King St. ?

The back of the building is part of Guinness' Brewery perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

h.jpg

Newbridge House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

So far i've been crap at this game, so like the rugby team, I'm hoping against hope for a change of fortune!

a = Capel Street
    J = Back of the rotunda hospital?
    F = Collins Barracks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

f is definitely collins barracks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

A = Parnell street.

G = Church on Gardiner street.

J = Back of Temple street childrens hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

deswalsh wrote:
    So far i've been crap at this game, so like the rugby team, I'm hoping against hope for a change of fortune!

a = Capel Street
    J = Back of the rotunda hospital?
    F = Collins Barracks
    Agreed, A is Capel Street, beside Work Wear No. 86. Capel St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭leche solara

I couldnt figure out why no one was getting the Horse Shoe, so I went there today to see was it still there and to my surprise it was gone. It was at the end of Parnell Street where it meets Capel Street, but it went some time in the 2 years since I took the photo.

The building with the creepers beside the door is as Myth said the Pearse Museum in St Endas Park Rathfarnham. It too is undergoing renovation work and that view might disappear too before long.

The other picture has stumped everyone and was a bit unfair. There have been some very intelligent guesses, but I suppose unless you work there you wouldnt know that it is the courtyard at the back of the G.P.O. public office. If you peer over the shoulder of the clerk serving you at the counter you will get a glimpse of it, but obviously not as clear a view as the picture shows.

I enjoyed this little test and hope others did too. Its amazing how you can put up quite an obscure location and some boardsie will recognise it. I was particularly impressed with the identification of the demolished Classic Cinema as the machinery in the picture was only there for a day or two.

Its only through something like this that you realise how rapidly the face of Dublin is changing.

I must get some more pictures up soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I must get some more pictures up soon.

Do, this is a strangely addictive game.
    I rarely venture into the city centre these days so I'd only have local photos to post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Here's a few, all city centre (and a lot easier than leche solara's :D).

No. 1

Pic6.jpg

No. 2

Pic7.jpg

No. 3

Pic8.jpg

No. 4

Pic9.jpg

No. 5

Pic10-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Here's a few, all city centre (and a lot easier than leche solara's :D).

No. 1

Pic6.jpg

No. 2

Pic7.jpg

No. 3

Pic8.jpg

No. 4

Pic9.jpg

No. 5

Pic10-1.jpg
    No.3 Mountjoy Square park.

Cheers,
    Peter

No 5: up near smithfield, facing down toward stonetbatter?

No 5 Arran St / Junction of Green St and Little Green St.

No 4 Top of Clonsilla Rd

No 3 Herbert Park

No 2 King's Inn / Law Library

No 1 TBA

Is No. 4 not the house in stephens green?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

no. 4 is definitely the house in the SW corner of st stephen's green

Hagar wrote:
    No 5 Arran St / Junction of Green St and Little Green St.
    You've correctly named two adjacent Streets - now name the actual Street in the pic. (EDIT: you won't find it in many maps!)
    Hagar wrote:
    No 4 Top of Clonsilla Rd

No 3 Herbert Park

No 2 King's Inn / Law Library

No 1 TBA
    No, No, No and No

(They are all City Centre - i.e. Dublin 1,2 or 7)

Peteer wrote:
    No.3 Mountjoy Square park.

Cheers,
    Peter
    Yup.

deswalsh wrote:
    Is No. 4 not the house in stephens green?
    no. 4 is definitely the house in the SW corner of st stephen's green
    Yes, it's the residence of the OPW person in charge of St Stephen's Green (Park Superintendent? Park Ranger?)

One of the nicer houses that come with the job in the Public Service!

No 5 - Little Britain St

Hagar wrote:
    No 5 - Little Britain St
    It is indeed Hagar!

LittleBritainStreetSign.jpg

No.s 1 and 2 remain.

A bit embarassing really, I worked in Little Green St for 13yrs. Just couldn't put a name to it.

/Edit Parnell St used to be Great Britain St and Little Green St used to be Petticoat Lane AFAIK.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote:
    A bit embarassing really, I worked in Little Green St for 13yrs. Just couldn't put a name to it
    With a very well known fruit/vegetable retailer there I presume? ;)
    Hagar wrote:
    Edit Parnell St used to be Great Britain St and Little Green St used to be Petticoat Lane aFAIK.
    Interesting, I was wondering where Great Britain Street was!

Indeed. :D

BTW The Irish translation on the street sign is woeful. It actually says Wales Street as Gaeilge.

Hagar wrote:
    The Irish translation on the street sign is woeful. It actually says Wales Street as Gaeilge.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Nubmber 1 is a little street off Stephens place which is off Upper Mount Street. I think number 2 is The Rotunda Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Is #2 the GPO?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

number 2 is geography in trinity?

Anto McC wrote:
    Nubmber 1 is a little street off Stephens place
    Yes it's Stephen's Place or Stephen's Lane (I forget which) off Lower Mount Street. Well done, I didn't expect anyone to get that! :D

Anto McC wrote:
    I think number 2 is The Rotunda Hospital.
    Slow coach wrote:
    Is #2 the GPO?
    copacetic wrote:
    number 2 is geography in trinity?
    No I'm afraid not.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Is no 2 on Portland row ??

Is no 2 on Portland row ??
    No, but a good guess, I know the building you're referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Slow coach wrote:
    Is #2 the GPO?

was thinking that too with 1814, or leinster house bought by royal dublin society then.

Still think it is a building in trinity, must have got the dept wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement