Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Picture Game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Other side.
    **edit** It's actually quite a beautiful structure from that angle, sadly it's not the angle most people see it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

spurious wrote: »
    This quick one is shamelessly stolen from another forum and posted in celebration of the fact that one of the hideous JC Decaux things has had planning permission refused for this location.
    Hurrah for democracy!
    Newcomen Bridge, North Strand. The adjacent railway bridge isn't nearly as pretty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Victor wrote: »
    Newcomen Bridge, North Strand. The adjacent railway bridge isn't nearly as pretty.

Indeed. The photo has been taken from the lock-keeper's cottage side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ok, my turn.

DSCN0112.jpg

DSCN0104.jpg

Image004.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg

5 Not sure name of street, i'm sure some local here will recognise it:)

Image001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1. No idea - The Netherlands? :) Two storey council flats are extremely rare, except for senior citizen flats, which tend to have flat roofs. I suspect a central area (high fence) and they were built in the late 1940s. The mature tree suggests a green space and the speed ramps suggest a straight street. There is a similar style in William's Park in Rathmines.
    2. Ringsend Bridge
    3. Long Lane
    4. Fitzwilliam Quay - same building as shown in 2. I didn't realise it had a 30 km/h limit.
    5. No idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Are 1 and 5 around the Tenters

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

3. Long Lane
    Damn you Victor! - it was the only one I recognised and you had to get in before me! :D

Is no. 5 Clarence Mangan Road?

1. No idea - The Netherlands? :) Two storey council flats are extremely rare, except for senior citizen flats, which tend to have flat roofs. I suspect a central area (high fence) and they were built in the late 1940s. The mature tree suggests a green space and the speed ramps suggest a straight street. There is a similar style in William's Park in Rathmines.
    2. Ringsend Bridge
    3. Long Lane
    4. Fitzwilliam Quay - same building as shown in 2. I didn't realise it had a 30 km/h limit.
    5. No idea.

Correct 2,3,4...ain't it bed time for you yet and let Wish take some? :D

1 - wrong area....actually a good few miles away, right observation!
    jdivision wrote:
    Are 1 and 5 around the Tenters

Yes 5 is(1 is not), what is the street name roughly?
    I can't remember, it was some 2 word street when i walked passed there (i dunno area that well :D)

Thats it!..Weird name, an alarm was going off when i passed at the time coupled with my lack of knowledge of the area hence my cluelessness at the name which i had glanced at on a wall! :)

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Thats it!..Weird name
    Not that weird - he was an Irish poet.

(There's a street nearby called "Cow Parlour"! ;)

James Clarence Mangan (b. May 1, 1803 - d. June 20, 1849)

...born in Dublin, the son of a poor grocer, his father having failed to retain a job in ‘eight successive establishments’; forced him to work as a clerk in the scrivening office of Thomas Kenrick (‘dull drudgery ... my heart felt as if it were gradually growing into the inanimate material I wrote on’).
    He started learning languages with the guidance of a Fr. Graham who taught him Latin, Spanish, French and German. He wrote ‘charades, enigmas & riddles’ for almanacs and directories under pseudonyms.
    He contributed to: The Dublin Penny Journal (as "Clarence"), The Satirist, Dublin University Magazine, Irish Monthly Magazine, and early editions of The Nation.
    He fell ill during a cholera epidemic and was carried into the Meath Hospital, having been found by William Wilde in ‘a state of indescribable misery and squalor occupying a wretched hovel where he had retired to die’; he died in that hospital very soon after.
    He was commemorated by Thomas MacDonagh in verse as the ‘poor splendid Poet of the burning eyes’; he was called by Yeats ‘our one poet raised to the first rank by intensity’, and by Joyce in an essay of 1907 ‘the failed standard-bearer of a failed nation’, but also ‘one of the world’s most inspired poets’.
    Mangan has been called one of the greatest poets of the nineteenth century. His life may only be considered miserable. He was an opium addict at one time and a hard drinker. His fame is late in coming. Only his Dark Rosaleen was on the Irish Times list of favorite poems. To my taste he has better to choose from; he wrote over a thousand poems. Let this be a beginning for all those who are fond of poetry. The discovery of James Clarence Mangan will be rewarded.

gurramok wrote:
    an alarm was going off when i passed at the time
    That's the new Dublin 8 alert warning that 'Dublin Picture Game' regulars are in the area!

Was it you who was in Francis Street last week taking pics? Someone was taking a picture of the piano hanging outside O'Sullivan Antiques. I was tempted to say 'it's been done already'! :)

Was it you who was in Francis Street last week taking pics? Someone was taking a picture of the piano hanging outside O'Sullivan Antiques. I was tempted to say 'it's been done already'! :)

Nah, i didn't take any in Francis st. :(

I was in the area last Sunday losing my way around as usual in D8 :D
    (i committed the ultimate sin by forgetting my digi camera and ended up with mobile fone camera for pics :()

Still No.1 is still to be guessed, it's not D8, D15, D12, D1, D6, D22, D13, D9, D17, D2, D20, D18, D3, D7, D16, D5, D11, D14, D6W, D10 nor D24 :D:D:D:p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It's the famous bungalow of the Tenters (my homeland). It is one of two famous landmarks in the Tenters.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Still No.1 is still to be guessed, it's not D8, D15, D12, D1, D6, D22, D13, D9, D17, D2, D20, D18, D3, D7, D16, D5, D11, D14, D6W, D10 nor D24 :D:D:D:p;)[/QUOTE]

It must be in D4 so ! I'm thinking Ringsend , off Thorncastle St there are old folks flats like that. Is it Cambridge Rd ?

Just as a matter of interest folks, we passed the 50,000 views of this thread landmark some time yesterday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Just as a matter of interest folks, we passed the 50,000 views of this thread landmark some time yesterday! :D

And over 2500 replies (think i guessed 3), what happened to EXIT.

It must be in D4 so ! I'm thinking Ringsend , off Thorncastle St there are old folks flats like that. Is it Cambridge Rd ?

Yes, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

ericl wrote: »
    And over 2500 replies (think i guessed 3), what happened to EXIT.

Great thread - has done wonders for my postcount. They're doing a copy in the Meath thread now! They'll run out of castles by Page 5.

ericl wrote: »
    what happened to EXIT.
    I've often wondered that also. :confused:

(BTW - for those who don't know 'Exit' began it all on the 23rd of August last but seems to have disappeared! :eek:)

Your Saturday morning specials! Good luck. :)

1-51.jpg

2-46.jpg

3-47.jpg

4-42.jpg

5-41.jpg

6-10.jpg

7-10.jpg

8-10.jpg

9-10.jpg

10-10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No 8 stephen st upr/golden lane?

1 Junc Parnell Sq, Grt Denmark St and Fredrick St Nth (taken around 5pm according to spire shadow)

2 junc Mt Temple Rd and Ard Righ rd?

No 1.
    One of my first jobs was in a cafe (long gone now) across the road from this.
    A couple of years later I started teaching in a school a few doors up.
    It's what we always knew as 'The Candy' on the corner of Great Denmark Street and Parnell Square/North Frederick St.
    It looks a lot fancier than when I used to frequent it.

5 Capel St?

edit: Nope, change that to Aungier St

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

9 is on Lower Abbey Street, near the VHI office.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

is no 6 parnell st.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

10 might be the alleyway down by the side of the Royal College of Surgeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

also is no 4 near enough to croke park, down from the big tree?

GBX wrote: »
    No 8 stephen st upr/golden lane?
    Well done GBX - Golden Lane it is with Stephen Street upper at the rear. :)
    tricky D wrote: »
    1 Junc Parnell Sq, Grt Denmark St and Fredrick St Nth (taken around 5pm according to spire shadow)
    Well done! :)If I was to be pedantic I would say that it is the junction of Fredrick Street North and Gardiner Row. (Great Denmark Street begins at Barry's Hotel ;)).
    tricky D wrote:
    2 junc Mt Temple Rd and Ard Righ rd?
    That's impressive! Most people would have said the UN monument but you name the actual Roads! Well done! :)
    spurious wrote: »
    No 1.
    One of my first jobs was in a cafe (long gone now) across the road from this.
    A couple of years later I started teaching in a school a few doors up.
    It's what we always knew as 'The Candy' on the corner of Great Denmark Street and Parnell Square/North Frederick St.
    It looks a lot fancier than when I used to frequent it.
    Yup - The Candy Shop (and not on Great Denmark Street - see below).

GardinerRowFrederickStreetNorth.jpg

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    5 Capel St?

edit: Nope, change that to Aungier St
    No and no!
    europerson wrote: »
    9 is on Lower Abbey Street, near the VHI office.
    Well spotted! :)

AbbeyStreetLowerJohnThompson.jpg
    is no 6 parnell st.?
    Nope!
    europerson wrote: »
    10 might be the alleyway down by the side of the Royal College of Surgeons.
    Nope!
    also is no 4 near enough to croke park, down from the big tree?
    Nope!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement