Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

can anyone tell me if these jags are normal for 1440*900 with no AA. Like around the box or the window sill. I don't really know.

They are quite noticeable at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

I'm not liking it at all, I suppose the fact I'm havin massive problems graphics doesn't help....multi-coloured(like a weird rainbow) terrain and characters faces messed up etc. ugh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Confab wrote: »
    So far FC2 is good, but it does strange things to my head, feel a bit sick and have headaches. Not worth the trouble, think I'll uninstall it.

Added to that, the whole driving thing is doing my head in. In FC1 it was a novelty, a bit of fun to break up the missions. Now it's just boring. Also the weapons dealers give you the same mission over and over. The only fun I get is blowing things up!

What the hell is up with the characters? No matter which one you play it's one-sided dialogue. We never utter a word and the NPCs seems to understand perfectly! Finally, the weapon jamming is very, very annoying. On average a real-life weapon jams every 5000 rounds. In FC2 they jam every 60-90 rounds. What's with the inconsistencies?

I'm off to kill all my buddies.
    I rarely get a weapon jam with weapons that were bought from the weapon shop. Now salvaged weapons on the otherhand... They jam like hell, all the time. The weapon's condition is visually represented. If its rusty, or beat up its bound to jam. The mp5sd likes to jam after a bit of use, just like the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Thanks for the wide svreen fix ..and u can change screen during gameplay mad.havent got any crashes yet,at about 9% into it .

Gold weapons what where ,u sure it was not the gold shiney rusty guns on ground.

was feeling a bit sick aswell (maybe the 5 hours or so sint)

fov fixed that.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

cashville wrote: »
    I'm not liking it at all, I suppose the fact I'm havin massive problems graphics doesn't help....multi-coloured(like a weird rainbow) terrain and characters faces messed up etc. ugh...

I was playing the game yesterday for hours before I realised the game had set itself to DX9. I have to say the lighting effects are really nice in DX10 but I got those same weird rainbow effects. Using an ati 4870. Latest 8.10 drivers fixed it.
    Spunge wrote: »
    Just got the widescreen fix, in widescreen it was just using a 4:3 ratio with the top and bottom bits cut off.

Makes driving a whole lot easier/fun.
    Thansk for that Spunge - gonna give it a go.
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    How many people here picked the IRA character first?

Yup

Weapons have a great feel to them. Really having fun with my Druganov sniper rifle atm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Spunge wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if these jags are normal for 1440*900 with no AA. Like around the box or the window sill. I don't really know.

They are quite noticeable at times.

Your goin to need antialiasing more at a lower resolution than a higher one

FarCry22008-10-2321-29-08-99.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I tried the hotfix but it caused problems, stuttering, from what I've read its only for the X2, not the single HD4870, back using 8.10 again. Can't install 8.11 RC no matter what, I install it, reboot and it says "No Ati driver installed", tried a few times.

The new 8.11 RC1 drivers are a bugger to install. But once installed I found they greatly increased my FPS in Crysis. I mean it was notable, about an extra 10 fps on average. At first I thought something had been disabled by accident in the Crysis Benchmark Tool. I can now play it at 1920x1200, 2xAA and everything at very high with a usable framerate.

Only problem is it didn't fix the juddering in Far Cry 2 so I've rolled back to the hotfix for now.

If you want to give these drivers a go, here are the steps I followed which worked.

Scroll down to the second post by Margus
    Azza wrote: »
    I have been halted in my tracks with all these crashes on the PC version. Going hope Ubisoft get a patch out fast to fix it.

Yeah I had one or 2 crashes. There was no warning or error message also. It just crashed to the desktop. Still, I kinda expect bugs now from PC games. A completely bug free PC game that doesn't require any patchs is an oddity.

Still I quicksave often, so it's never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It's a shame improvised traps can't be set, like in the original.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The new 8.11 RC1 drivers are a bugger to install. But once installed I found they greatly increased my FPS in Crysis. I mean it was notable, about an extra 10 fps on average. At first I thought something had been disabled by accident in the Crysis Benchmark Tool. I can now play it at 1920x1200, 2xAA and everything at very high with a usable framerate.

Only problem is it didn't fix the juddering in Far Cry 2 so I've rolled back to the hotfix for now.

If you want to give these drivers a go, here are the steps I followed which worked.

Scroll down to the second post by Margus

Cheers m8, finally got them installed. I had googled it but it turned up no results. Makes a huge difference in Crysis but none in FC2 for me.

grizzly wrote: »
    It's a shame improvised traps can't be set, like in the original.

That wasn't the original, that was Far Cry Instincts on 360, the original Far Cry was pc only and was made by Crytek (who went on to develop Crysis)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm hugely disappointed by it. I played the original on the PC and then Instincts on the xbox. I rented the new xbox version from xtra-vision for a tenner and after 2 days I realised it's just like playing "just cause" or "GTA" with it's safe houses, multi vehicle use and arms dealers.

The plot line also seems drawn out and boring and I'm only about 3 or 4 major missions in. Also the diamonds are annoyingly hard to find outside of quests.

I think i'll be returning it to see if I can get something else for the rest of my weeks rental as I really cba with it (and i used to play instincts for hours at a time and loved it).

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

I have to agree with Santa Claus. I'm so disappointed by FC2. I've been looking forward to this for ages and was wowed by all the original tech demos. Played the original on pc for ages and loved the multiplayer as well.

I'm playing it on PS3 and the graphics are very average for the system. I know its only running at 720p max but still not great.

The sound is quite good at times but things like animation aren't great. Your own character is animated quite well but the animals and NPCs aren't brilliant. I do love the fire propagation and the way you can attack at night time to improve your odds.

Overall though I'm just so disappointed in the mechanics of it. It feels like it was going for something like STALKER or Boiling Point. Both of those games were flawed but STALKER especially had piles of atmosphere and really immersed you in the experience. This just feels were rushed and under whelming.

Two major gripes are:
    - the shooting. I love games that make it difficult to be accurate, STALKER was great at this, it felt realistic and challenging. But in FC2 you stand face to face with a guy and empty a clip into his face and he's still standing there looking at you.

- the way that every single person you encounter shoots at you. It's like boiling point in that respect. In boiling point if you bumped into a pedestrian in your car then everybody was after you. In this it feels as if in a previous life you had a major bout of road rage because everybody shoots at you no matter where you go. I can understand the reasoning behind it but it just breaks the atmosphere and makes the gameplay very stop and start.

I really really want to keep playing and just have it grab me and think wow this is good but so far nothing has. I'm going to keep playing because after Far Cry 1 I still have faith that Ubi will pull something really good out and it'll become one of my fave games but so far I'm just finding it very hard to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Speedway wrote: »
    I have to agree with Santa Claus. I'm so disappointed by FC2. I've been looking forward to this for ages and was wowed by all the original tech demos. Played the original on pc for ages and loved the multiplayer as well.

I'm playing it on PS3 and the graphics are very average for the system. I know its only running at 720p max but still not great.

The sound is quite good at times but things like animation aren't great. Your own character is animated quite well but the animals and NPCs aren't brilliant. I do love the fire propagation and the way you can attack at night time to improve your odds.

Overall though I'm just so disappointed in the mechanics of it. It feels like it was going for something like STALKER or Boiling Point. Both of those games were flawed but STALKER especially had piles of atmosphere and really immersed you in the experience. This just feels were rushed and under whelming.

Two major gripes are:
    - the shooting. I love games that make it difficult to be accurate, STALKER was great at this, it felt realistic and challenging. But in FC2 you stand face to face with a guy and empty a clip into his face and he's still standing there looking at you.

- the way that every single person you encounter shoots at you. It's like boiling point in that respect. In boiling point if you bumped into a pedestrian in your car then everybody was after you. In this it feels as if in a previous life you had a major bout of road rage because everybody shoots at you no matter where you go. I can understand the reasoning behind it but it just breaks the atmosphere and makes the gameplay very stop and start.

I really really want to keep playing and just have it grab me and think wow this is good but so far nothing has. I'm going to keep playing because after Far Cry 1 I still have faith that Ubi will pull something really good out and it'll become one of my fave games but so far I'm just finding it very hard to love it.

agree with ur gripes..like theres faction jeeps.so it should be done like if your in a APR jeep and you go a APR checkpoint everyones happy as larry..or even if your in a car to them your a netural..The close range shooting is a bit of as you said too
    but other than that you have to stay spot on..Few more Bus stops woulda been handy aswell.Im kinda getting sick of the long drives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Meh.. Im starting to see the mediocre side of this game

- Every mission feels the same, "go there and kill/blow up X"
    - Every mission entails you going to the edge of the map, so your basically travelling between the center of the map and the edge of the map throughout the game
    - Story line is ****e... whatever it is
    - All other gripes mentioned above

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Beautiful sunset

FarCry22008-10-2616-17-51-00.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I crushed this Poor fecker got crushed as I drove in :D

FarCry22008-10-2616-18-49-33.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

my only gripe is the respawning checkpoints and every mission having you go through 2 on the way. so each mission has you doing 4 pointless fights.

But it does pick up once you start using your weapons creatively.

Flare gun with extra ammo belt...launch 3 flares around a checkpoint and they will be swamped by out of control flames muhahahaha!

best fire weapon in the game cause of the range you can get with it :D

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    my only gripe is the respawning checkpoints and every mission having you go through 2 on the way. so each mission has you doing 4 pointless fights.

But it does pick up once you start using your weapons creatively.

Flare gun with extra ammo belt...launch 3 flares around a checkpoint and they will be swamped by out of control flames muhahahaha!

best fire weapon in the game cause of the range you can get with it :D

ye hahah the flare gun is brilliant

many people gotten to the "sandstorm" yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It might make life a bit easier if the map in the vehicles included the check points so you could be ready for them. As it is I need the full map open while driving if I want to plan for them or avoid them. I find myself driving away from every checkpoint slaughter muttering "If you guys would just leave well enough alone you'd be alive". Need a break I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Gave it another go and I'm still not happy with it, sick of driving to the edges of the map for a "blow up X" or "kill this person" mission. Its been awhile since a game made me go "screw this" and swiching off the game after dying. Uninstall for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

cashville wrote: »

I had the same issue. Updating to latest drivers for my HD4850 card did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

finally finished it today..overall i wasnt that impressed with it..was nearly going to uninstall it when i reached half way through the game..just tought it got a bit repetitive and a pain to do the missions coming across checkpoints and patrols a number of times before you finally get to your "kill x" location..though the good mix of guns kept me playing i think being able to pick new ones to mess around with..

probably give it a 6/10

IgsTer wrote: »
    finally finished it today...
    exciting weekend ye?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Soby wrote: »
    exciting weekend ye?:rolleyes:

lol oh Ye! The Best! :p;)

had to push myself to keep playing it..otherwise i dont think i would have been able to get back into playing it again and ending up uninstalling it if i left it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Whats this game got to do with Far Cry btw?

Ubisoft just decided to use the name to sell copies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Whats this game got to do with Far Cry btw?

Ubisoft just decided to use the name to sell copies?

Pretty much yeah easier to sell it as a brand name then a completely new one

God next to impossible to get people onto your custom map/s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I say the name is used again because the big thing from the original far cry that everyone said they loved doing was fighting the mercenaries that make up half of the game.

Far Cry 2 repeats that half of the game and in a bizarre role reversal has you playing a mercenary.

Was playing it there for a while, once you get the hang of using the buses it cuts down alot of travel time, unless you start doing weapon missions because they are always too far from any buses. But the main missions are mostly easy as the two main bases are beside a bus stop and you just hop out to the nearest corners.

Its a game that quickly overstays its welcome, you'd find doing 1-2 missions at a go is fine, but you'll feel exhausted with the game trying to do a third.

I had spent the first chunk of the game avoiding jams or anything similar, due to always being lucky and swapping out my weapons in time :D but the last few firefigthts I was in really brought out all that makes this game good.

I had set the camp on fire, my pistol jammed numerous times (I am mostly carting a sniper rifle around at the moment) before exploding in my hand, I threw a molotov cocktail down just between me and my opponents, they all start backing away, giving me the room to patch myself find some cover and pick them off with a rifle. But the wind was blowing in my direction and I was soon trapped in a corner with the fire spreadin to a nearby fuel tank. Cue classic movie moment with me jumping over the flames and the tank exploding behind me :D

I actually really like the weapon jamming and fire mechanics, they add the spice needed to play on.

But yeah the game needs to be played in small chunks I feel, trying to work your way through the whole act in one go must get irritating.

On the topic of buddies, I lost one of mine :( I accidently abandoned him and now he is missing, which is a shame cause I liked him. I hope I can find him again if not pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just started playing it there today.

It reminds me so much of GTA4. Here is a beautifully realised world for you to play in, but alas all the missions get terribly repetitive.

This is why I will be ditching this for fallout 3: Shooters should stick to the basics, I like firefights and story in the half life vein (ok, pretty much every shooter has followed this path since 1998). I thought far cry 2 was going to be more original than it was. It is definitely a mash up of GTA4 and far cry, it doesn't try anything new but it does integrate the ideas seen in these games well and executes them even better. The problem is there is just so much plodding around, tracking back through the same checkpoints over and over as people have mentioned. I think this game would have been so much better if they had ditched a lot of the "side quests" for a more focused main storyline. It seems all I do is drive around, hop out of my jeep, have a look at the 4 or 5 men in a camp, start shooting, dodge the inevitable AI jeep ram at me and move on to the next area for more of the same.

Its still a very good game and a fantastic accomplishment, but I think I have been waiting for fallout 3 for too long and perhaps it has colored my opinion of far cry 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Beautiful sunset

FarCry22008-10-2616-17-51-00.jpg

Now all we need is Pina Colladas and getting caught in the rain and the wimmins from the ladies lounge will all be buying it :pac::pac::pac:

I returned the game to Xtra vision tonight and the guy in the branch said that of the 4 copies they rented out on launch day for a week, mine was the 3rd copy returned early and that was only sunday evening...Feel sorry for people who bought this for the xbox, very disappointing !!!

Advertisement