Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no place for stokes

• 23-08-2007 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

it looks like stokes will not be called up for the squad next month.

as far as i was aware stokes has a slight knock and is all ready back training.

are the FAI playing silly games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well not showing up for the under-21s the other night and failing to tell Don Givens you had a knock, even if Roy Keane was supposed to have done so as Stokes claimed, won't exactly endear you to the management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think Stokes may have undone himself on several levels. a few people are suggesting that Keane's comments about loyalty Vs. stupidity referred to Stokes and Yorke and they both may be on their way out of the club.

I wonder is the FAI thing fall out from the aftermath of the Wigan game for Stokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stokes should stop acting the idiot and he could also do with a move away from Sunderland. He hasn't progressed at that club at all and I can't see that changing tbh. He really should have joined Celtic but his father wanted more money for his 18 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

eirebhoy wrote:
    Stokes should stop acting the idiot and he could also do with a move away from Sunderland. He hasn't progressed at that club at all and I can't see that changing tbh. He really should have joined Celtic but his father wanted more money for his 18 year old.

on the other hand the FAI could stop acting like idiots, the whole thing to me smells of biting of your nose to spite your face, and with players like stokes,murphy and especially a player who could well turn out to be a really top class defender McShane under the spell of keane if I were the FAI I would be very careful about pis$ing him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

ntlbell wrote:
    on the other hand the FAI could stop acting like idiots, the whole thing to me smells of biting of your nose to spite your face, and with players like stokes,murphy and especially a player who could well turn out to be a really top class defender McShane under the spell of keane if I were the FAI I would be very careful about pis$ing him off.

Well there have been numerous stories about Stokes being in trouble with Keane as well as this affair. He seems to have been affected by his big money, big wages move. Hopefully he'll settle down in time but he's not doing himself any favours right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

ntlbell wrote:

He has fallen foul of his club and international manger in a week. Didn't he pull a similar stroke with Keane last season and get sent home?

He needs another kick in the arse, the two he has gotten from Roy Keane have had no effect, so it looks like he is out, and Don Givens for all his faults is just the man to give it to him.

Another Irish player in the 'could have made it' column methinks.

He has fallen foul of his club and international manger in a week. Didn't he pull a similar stroke with Keane last season and get sent home?

He needs another kick in the arse, the two he has gotten from Roy Keane have had no effect, so it looks like he is out, and Don Givens for all his faults is just the man to give it to him.

Another Irish player in the 'could have made it' column methinks.

a stroke? he missed a bus by 15 mins? I agreed with what keane did at the time.

but both incidents seem to relativley small and are getting blown up like he's some stan collymore.

"He [Stokes] had a problem with his groin and I thought he would go over there, report in and see the medical staff. He thought he hadn't to do that and didn't get in touch with anyone.
    "We like to do things properly at Sunderland and we didn't quite get it right last weekend. The confusion stemmed from my end really."

"It was just a mix-up in communications. I've spoken to Don [Givens] and he is fine about it

this looks fairly straight forward and keane admitting it was his problem, what more does givens want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Has anyone considered the possibility that he was just dropped? Sammo's a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

John_C wrote:
    Has anyone considered the possibility that he was just dropped? Sammo's a good player.
    i would say its punishment for what happened with the under 21's. the same way David Bentley missed out on the full England squad this week because of pulling out of the U21 championhips

The only people who will be punished from this is the same people who were punished in 2002, the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ntlbell wrote:
    The only people who will be punished from this is the same people who were punished in 2002, the fans.

tbh there are enough other decent youngsters out there at the mo it seems, so i wouldn't be bothered. he's no friggin Roy keane, dunno how you could compare this to 2002.

tbh there are enough other decent youngsters out there at the mo it seems, so i wouldn't be bothered. he's no friggin Roy keane, dunno how you could compare this to 2002.

how many decent youngesters are first choice in his position for their clubs in the permiership?

where's this long list?

it's not about his ability as a player as when roy was sent home it was nothing to do with his ability, but the fans lost out, and losing a good player like stokes from the Ireland squad at any age is not good, and like in 2002 the only people who get punished are fans they need to wake up and start treating our players with a bit of respect and end the childish games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

how many decent youngesters are first choice in his position for their clubs in the permiership?

Stokes is certainly not first choice for Sunderland. He is at best joint 2nd choice, but if you look at last season, Roy still thinks he is some way away.

PHB wrote:
    Stokes is certainly not first choice for Sunderland. He is at best joint 2nd choice, but if you look at last season, Roy still thinks he is some way away.

I was more intrested in the long list of other great youngsters in the prem ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ntlbell wrote:
    I was more intrested in the long list of other great youngsters in the prem ;)

well just for the competitive matches up front we can call on Keane, Doyle, Long and Folan, all of whom have premiership games and goals under their belts. The youth aspect doesn't really matter in this case. Stokes doesn't really deserve to be a starter by any stretch for Ireland and so would just be among Long and Folan hoping for a sub appearance, and of course he's still possibly behind the lieks of Connolly and Morrison at the moment in terms of actually current ability. Its no great loss for the moment. We'll see how he does this year and figure out if he deserves to get a real shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ntlbell wrote:

where's this long list?

it's not about his ability as a player as when roy was sent home it was nothing to do with his ability, but the fans lost out, and losing a good player like stokes from the Ireland squad at any age is not good, and like in 2002 the only people who get punished are fans they need to wake up and start treating our players with a bit of respect and end the childish games

who's punishing us? you're the only one complaining, and who says Stokes is lost from the Ireland squad, it sounds like they are just waiting for him to grow up a bit. have no fear if he ever does get up off his arse and start fulfilling his potential they'll be down on their knees trying to get him to play.

i'd take Long and Doyle over Stokes any day... heck Keogh isn't that bad either.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    well just for the competitive matches up front we can call on Keane, Doyle, Long and Folan, all of whom have premiership games and goals under their belts. The youth aspect doesn't really matter in this case. Stokes doesn't really deserve to be a starter by any stretch for Ireland and so would just be among Long and Folan hoping for a sub appearance, and of course he's still possibly behind the lieks of Connolly and Morrison at the moment in terms of actually current ability. Its no great loss for the moment. We'll see how he does this year and figure out if he deserves to get a real shot.

the youth aspect matters when you are preventing a player from progression internationally over a silly mistake that stokes didn't even make!

i think people are missing the point here it doesn't matter he's not some 30 goal a season player _or_ a midfield general the point is stokes is not being picked because of a mistake roy keane has admitted to making and the FAI playing silly games.

as stated before this has _nothing_ to do with stokes ability as a player

who's punishing us? you're the only one complaining, and who says Stokes is lost from the Ireland squad, it sounds like they are just waiting for him to grow up a bit..

It's a loss to Ireland that the idiots running the countries football allow this nonsense to go on, you're right no one is complaining, because they couldn't care less about stokes, that's fine but what about the next player who gets involved in something simillar? will it only bother people if he's a 30 goal a season type player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

was it the idiots running the FAI, or Keane that admitted to making the mistake?

The_B_Man wrote:
    was it the idiots running the FAI, or Keane that admitted to making the mistake?

keane makes a mistake

Keane admitted to making the mistake.

stokes gets dropped

makes sense all right....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Stokes is one of those players you will see in the EL soon enough after being ****ed out of numerous english clubs, he has talent but believes it makes him a god.

Shels might take him back.

kdjac

No chance he'll be in the EL unless Keane wrecks him. His position sense for a striker, finishing and general goalscoring abilities are superb. I just wish he was allowed play the role he did at Falkirk and for a team that have the ability to play a through ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    No chance he'll be in the EL unless Keane wrecks him. His position sense for a striker, finishing and general goalscoring abilities are superb. I just wish he was allowed play the role he did at Falkirk and for a team that have the ability to play a through ball.

Paul Byrne
    Michael Keane
    Colin Healy

I could go on here.

kdjac

I know I know. :) I just can't see Stokes going that way. He's too good. Famous last words and all that.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Stokes is one of those players you will see in the EL soon enough after being ****ed out of numerous english clubs, he has talent but believes it makes him a god.

kdjac

Dunno I wouldn't mind seeing Stokes along side Darren Mansaram;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

sure it wont matter. all he has to do is bide his time, and before ya know it, he'll be too old for Givens squad and Stan will automatically call him up, and hey presto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

nah, we've already had too many cocky young players who think they're footballing gods play for us this season.....

i agree though (me agree with KdjaC?? :eek: ), heard stories of Stokes' ''attitude'' going back a year or two, if there is one manager who can beat the right attitude into a young player with a whiff of a bad attitude it should be Keane...... we'll see

Advertisement