Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power supply question

Options
  • 23-08-2007 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

i am repairing a pc for a friend, and have a question about the power supply.
    the hipro atx power supply that came with the pc is blown, and i brought one power supply from a hp pc in work home to test that the system board wasn't fried, annd the pc booted fine with this power supply.
    i bought a replacement standard atx power supply for it from maplins, and it will not work at all. it will not power on at all, and nothing turns at all in the pc, like the cpu fan or case fan. i would be fairly confident that the brand new power supply is ok
    the pc is a phillips pc. are there different types of atx power supplys out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There shouldn't be different types of ATX power supplies. Dell have been known to use PSUs incompatible with everyone else in the past - I don't think they're like this any more. Older motherboards/PSUs would only have a 20-pin connector, as opposed to the modern 24-pin ones, but you'd notice the difference and I doubt you can buy new PSUs without the extra 4 pins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

And if you plug back in the psu from work it boots up okay? If so then the new psu you bought is a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

Anti wrote:
    And if you plug back in the psu from work it boots up okay? If so then the new psu you bought is a dud.
    i am going to bring the new PSU into work in the morning and see if it works on a PC in there.

Yeah best thing to do. Just incase. Then you can bring it back and get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Actually, which power supply did you get from Maplin? Was it of an equal or higher power rating to the one it's replacing? They do sell some real cack there - even some 200W yoke :(

• Advertisement

the original one in the pc was a 300w, and the one i bought in maplins is a 480w vcool power supply. i tried the new one in a hp tower pc in work and it powered up the system no problem, so the new power supply is not faulty.
    i'm guessing the problem is the amount of current that is being output by the new power supply. in particular, the +5VSB output. On the oringinal power supply the current supplied here is 3A, and the new one is 2.5A. Could this be the reason why it's not working for me??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

quaidox wrote:
    the original one in the pc was a 300w, and the one i bought in maplins is a 480w vcool power supply. i tried the new one in a hp tower pc in work and it powered up the system no problem, so the new power supply is not faulty.
    i'm guessing the problem is the amount of current that is being output by the new power supply. in particular, the +5VSB output. On the oringinal power supply the current supplied here is 3A, and the new one is 2.5A. Could this be the reason why it's not working for me??

That does sound like the reason to me alright. Most electrical components will flat out refuse to work if not supplied with enough power.

No, 3A and 2.5A on the 5vsb will not stop a pc from booting. This is weird. As it wil boot the pc in work and not at home. One the home pc just have the esssentials plugged in. like 1 hard drive, no dvd drive etc etc. See if that helps.

Anti wrote:
    No, 3A and 2.5A on the 5vsb will not stop a pc from booting. This is weird. As it wil boot the pc in work and not at home. One the home pc just have the esssentials plugged in. like 1 hard drive, no dvd drive etc etc. See if that helps.
    hi anti,
    thanks for the advice, but i only have the bare essentials connected to the system board at home while i am trying the new power supply.
    i have finally got closure on this problem i am glad to say.
    i went back to maplins and swapped the power supply i bought with one that says 3A on the spec of it. it cost an extra 25€ over the price of the one i bought.
    connected this one at home and the pc booted straight away no problems.
    so there must be two types of "standard" atx power supplys, one that supplies 3A and one that supplies 2A.
    so people beware when buying a replacement power supply, the current ratings are v important!!!

Advertisement