Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downed Bumblebees

Options
  • 23-08-2007 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Every so often I come across a big ass bumblebees just sitting there all forlorn on the path, I've no idea what they are doing there, are they dieing, I'm quite fond of the blighters so I've never squashed one but should I, is it a case of putting it out of it's miseries ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I see this too myself. I'm not exactly sure of what the cause is. I presume they're just dying. This is probably due to natural causes but also may be due to a parasite infection. Queens sometimes root around in the grass and similar areas to find places to build their nests but they shouldn't be just lying there.

There is no need to put them out of their misery because they probably aren't suffering in any sense. You should just leave them and let nature take its course.

I love bumblebees too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

I love all hymenoptera :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

What's your favourite spyral?

My favourite irish bumblebee is Bombus pratorum

46_main_photo.JPG

Advertisement