Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Factories

• 23-08-2007 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Already a thread about City Centre businesses no longer with us - what about the factories?

I'll kick it off:

The Jute Factory
    Munster Chipboard
    Clover Meats
    Dennys
    National Board And Paper Mills
    Dawsons Printers in O'Connell Street (way distant past)
    Old Gasworks, Waterside

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Freddie59 wrote:
    Already a thread about City Centre businesses no longer with us - what about the factories?

I'll kick it off:

The Jute Factory
    Munster Chipboard
    Clover Meats
    Dennys
    National Board And Paper Mills
    Dawsons Printers in O'Connell Street (way distant past)
    Old Gasworks, Waterside
    em clover meats and dennys are owned by kerry foods and the two companys still operate but not from waterford we only have depot here now so technically you could take them off the list as they do still exist

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

HP Chemie
    kromberg and Schubert
    O Keeffe's Bakery

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

Hanleys clay pipe factory, was beside the park in Johns lane in the 1940s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

navalus wrote:
    Hanleys clay pipe factory, was beside the park in Johns lane in the 1940s.
    Wow!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

em clover meats and dennys are owned by kerry foods and the two companys still operate but not from waterford we only have depot here now so technically you could take them off the list as they do still exist

I stand corrected. I suppose mainly I'm just taking about defunct buildings which employed thousands of Waterford people.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Clover meats may be owned by Kerry foods but it no longer operates as Clover Meats. I miss that place I have a vague memory of being taken down there by my grandad to see them making sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Foundry
    Tech Industries
    Wellworthys
    Ray ban
    Flourmills
    bell ferries
    Siemens /Marshal eng
    Tri clover safety Glass
    Narco Machine shop
    White shipyard
    Neptune shipyard
    Dunlop’s (Now city square)
    Dun lops/RAC records ferry bank
    Power seeds
    Waterfiord foods

trishw78 wrote:
    Clover meats may be owned by Kerry foods but it no longer operates as Clover Meats. I miss that place I have a vague memory of being taken down there by my grandad to see them making sausages.
    yes all the kerry foods products i.e. denny,clover hams,ballyfree are now produced in shillelagh co wicklow and glenealy also in the county of wicklow

Anyone remember Swifts Furniture Factory above the park in Johns Lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

So was Denny's originally a Waterford company? I learn something new every day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The rasher was invented here in Waterford by Henry Denny, I think he was looking for a better way to store meat for long journeys and layered thin slices of meat and salt in an alternating fashion.

Well it says so in a history book I read a few months back. I'll try get the title when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

JMcL wrote:
    So was Denny's originally a Waterford company? I learn something new every day!
    so was Jacobs Cream crackers, form bridge street

Dennys was founded in waterford in 1820, he is buried in the vault in the Abbey Church accross the river.

tellin ya lads we learn something new every day eh!

Advertisement