Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League 25/26 August Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

jobonar wrote:

Chelsea v Portsmouth, 15:00---Draw

As the Tayto ad says, "there's always one"

Unlucky pal :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Has anyone a link to watch the Blackburn game online? I don't have Setanta Premier or whatever its called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Everton 0 - 1 Blackburn

Everton defence fell asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Everton 0 - 1 Blackburn

Everton defence fell asleep.

Get in there Roque!

3 goals in 4 games for him.

Thanks for that Kdjac. What's the deal with Everton not starting Lescott? Was he not their best defender last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

McFadden equalises from an Arteta cross.

Arteta has to win Player of the Month for August.

Anichebe a whisker away from scoring. So 1-1 at 82

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Rovers hit bar in injury time

Full time 1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boro Newcastle ends 2-2. Local honour satisifed for both esp with Sunderland beaten.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

utd getting away with murder here,spurs should have had two penos

• Advertisement

Man utd spurs, millions of pound of footballers showing a complete in ability to kick a ball.

Entertaining in a car crash type way but not decent football to watch.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Utd abosolutely blessed twice in 2 mins there. Two very strong peno shouts from Spurs. 2nd one with the handball was very close, though i reckon t hit him on the side of his stomach but he was trying to sneakily handle it.

As I say it, Utd score. 30 yarder from Nani. Andy Gray says unstoppable but I have to disagree, Robinsons positioning was very poor, he was outside his 6 yard box. Just before Nani hits it, Robinson moves a further yard to 2 yards out, what was he thinking. He's making some bad judgement calls.

Take it out :eek:

kdjac

Cool it hit tevez hope he gets awarded with it :D

kdjac

goal for utd,1 nil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thank god. I think it was a handball, not a peno for the Vidic one though, just accidental. Jesus christ, we've been lucky

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Thank god. I think it was a handball, not a peno for the Vidic one though, just accidental. Jesus christ, we've been lucky
    vidic knew exactly what he was doing imo

Stekelly wrote:

As I say it, Utd score. 30 yarder from Nani. Andy Gray says unstoppable but I have to disagree, Robinsons positioning was very poor, he was outside his 6 yard box. Just before Nani hits it, Robinson moves a further yard to 2 yards out, what was he thinking. He's making some bad judgement calls.

Hits tevez and whips off his head into top corner. Nowt the keeper copuld have done

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

thought fergie had told nani he wasnt allowed to do that celebration???

cracking goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Robinson definately should have saved that, wasnt near the corner, almost down the middle, positioning was all over the shop.

Thought Vidic one wasn't a penalty, great play from Ferdinand to clear it.

Thought Browns one was a penalty, poor decision.

Looking at it agian, I really do think Robinson was poor. He got a hand to it and it still went in a foot or so under the post. Had he been a couple of yards off his line like he should have been rather than moving further out all the time, it was a comfortable save, most likely a parry down and a simple pick up.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Hits tevez and whips off his head into top corner. Nowt the keeper copuld have done

kdjac

It hit Tevez and he still nearly got a full hand on it. Theres no way he should have been outside the 6 yard box. He was wide open for any high shot to drop in over him.

• Advertisement

I think you can't blame the ref for the handball, he couldn't see it, it was the linesman.

Robinson would have got to it were it not for the nick by Tevez.

Gona be a tough couple of minutes here, need some real good defending, but with Spurs attacking, we really have to get a 2nd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tevez goal, or Nani?

Could do with the points for FF if it's Tevez.

PHB wrote:
    Robinson would have got to it were it not for the nick by Tevez.

Yeah but he'd have been lucky in spite of his bad positioning, the flick showed up the bad positioning. Even a shot thats right up under the bar will be a simple tip over when its right above the keepr like that was. Because he was so far out, it mean theres a few yard for the ball to get up and down to go in.

Come on Spurs.

Mike.

I think it'd have to be Tevez's imo.
    I think it was handball, but even after all the replays I still can't tell for sure.

PHB wrote:
    I think it was handball, but even after all the replays I still can't tell for sure.

I dont think it was, but he was try to cos his hand moves right up. I think it was just a case of getting lucky that it hit his side and didnt make it as far as his hand, Otherwise it was a definate Stefan Henchoz.

Thought there should have been at least 10 mins injury time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

well, we didn't deserve the win at all, but we did deserve to win against Reading and Portsmouth, and at least a draw against City, so its welcome to have gotten the bit of luck that has completely deserted us so far this season.

Bugger. ;)

Mike.

Thank god. Played bad and won. Compared to every other game, where we played great and lost/draw. I don't really care, Saha should defo be on the bench next week, and now it's catch up time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Great strike by Nani. Spurs deserved at least a point. Manu run their luck again at Ot, surprise surprise.

Some really amateurish play by both teams, both midfields were woeful.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Unlucky for Spurs, they were terrible in the first half but much better in the second. Man United looked very toothless.

When did Malbranque lose the ability to control a football?

from looking at the replays in the post match analysis, I don't think either were penalties. Berbatov ran ino Vidic, it was 50/50 imo. As for the brown incident, i think the direction and speed of the deflection indicate to me that it hit his side, but the angles are not conclusive - which to me means the ref made the right call as there is no way he could have been sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Tauren wrote:
    from looking at the replays in the post match analysis, I don't think either were penalties. Berbatov ran ino Vidic, it was 50/50 imo. As for the brown incident, i think the direction and speed of the deflection indicate to me that it hit his side, but the angles are not conclusive - which to me means the ref made the right call as there is no way he could have been sure.
    Ditto on both. And call me biased, but I do think it hit his side.

If a hundred replays aren't conclusive, then the ref can't give it.

Into the top half, sweet :)

Ditto on both. And call me biased, but I do think it hit his side.

If a hundred replays aren't conclusive, then the ref can't give it.

Into the top half, sweet :)
    intertoto here we come :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Ref got it spot on on teh peno incidents..

vidic had his eyes on the ball and they simply crossed paths - not intentional.

the ball hit brown on the shoulder - yes, but he quite clearly had his arms by his sides - it was impossible to get the out of the way unless he moved his body completely away from the ball which obviously he's not gonna do. Ball to hand and not the other way about. That said, you couldn't argue if the ref gave it, as it was in the box and it hit his hand, but common sense law would say it's not a peno.

Keane hit the cross bar but VDS had it covered, it hit the top of the bar so a good 3/4 inches under and VDS would have got there.

The Nani strike wasn't unstoppable, and was actually pretty central, but we'll take it. Hopefully it'll give him more confidence.

Berbatov deserved a goal for that swival shot... henry like. THAT shot was unstoppable. You could see the fear in Utd defenders anytime he got the ball. He'd be a welcome addition at OT.

Apart from that Utd were the better side. More attacking, looking for the win.. Spurs only piled on the pressure when they realised they were 1-0 down and Utd had no strikers on the pitch :cool:

Ferdinand was a DISASTER today - i counted 3 really poor errors but he did make up for it with that goal line clearance..

You want to feel sorry for spurs but then again why should you when they came to defend. Spurs have more than enough quality to attack any side and perhaps it's a case of Jol not letting the handbrake off from the word go which has cost them a point or 3.

For Utd, things can only get better.. saha and anderson will be available next week, followed by ronaldo and rooney after that. Once all of those are back in action, they'll then have that bit of cutting edge up front.

smemon wrote:

You want to feel sorry for spurs but then again why should you when they came to defend.

Manchester United

attempts 4

Tottenham Hotspur

attempts 3

They were away to the PL champions. The havnt beat a top 4 side in something like 15years and are missing their top 2 centre halfs. What were you expecting?

On another day (or at a different ground :) they could have been given one , if not 2 penos (3 if Rob styles was the ref :) ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think ManU were due some luck, after their previous games where they had none. They certainly got it in the shape of deflected shot and the spurs penalty incidents.

I stand by my assessment that Carrick and Hargreaves are essentially the same player. Carrick was probably bought after failing to get Hargreaves the first time, now he seems surplus to requirements, tactically at least, redundant. Obviously Rooney and Ronaldo are huge losses to the team, so I don't necessarily think you can draw any conclusions from the level of performance at the moment.

As for Liverpool, we played too many long balls against Sunderland. Xabi once again didn't seem at it, and got caught in possession again. I know Xabi is Rafa's main man in a sense, but I honestly think Mascherano would have been more effective on Saturday. Great goal by Sissoko. He should be doing that 4 or 5 times a season. I did notice in preseason he seemed to be getting forward a lot more.
    Torres once again is an incredible threat, unlucky not to score with the diving header and later on when he skipped past the defenders he could have placed his shot better, rather than hitting it straight at the keeper.
    Voronin is a total revelation. 2 starts, 2 goals. He's composed, hard working, and seems to be more clinical than most people expected.
    Pennant, once again is looking much improved, his cross accuracy is improving, as is his willingness to take on people.
    Obviously the injury to Carragher is a major negative, but for the moment we have adequate cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

I think Hargreaves was pretty decent yesterday, got in and among the players, threw himself about a bit which is something we need in midfield and he done alot of cover work!
    United will have a huge weight off their shoulders now, i think the goals should come a bit easier from now on!

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    They were away to the PL champions. The havnt beat a top 4 side in something like 15years and are missing their top 2 centre halfs. What were you expecting?

it's that attitude that will prevent them from becoming a top 4 side ;)

Utd were missing their fair share of influential players - saha, rooney, ronaldo, gneville...

In fact, if spurs were ever to attack Utd, yesterday was the time do it as Utd had 1 striker on the pitch, none on the bench and in reality Tevez isn't a striker, he's a supporting striker.

Utd were there for the taking.. rattled early on, very nervous after 3 poor results, crowd ready to turn against them.. Spurs allowed them to come into the game..

Thought Spurs were the far better side than United yesterday to be honest.

Sweet, 8 out of 10 predictions right. Must do an accumulator next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Spurs at OT. You'd think they'd have figured it out by now. They shouldn't bother turning up - take the days rest and give up the three points.

BTW, I saw in one of the papers today, seven penalties awarded to visitors to OT in 15 years. How many games is that? Anyone know how many given the other way? That stat suggests amazing control by amazing defenders. Doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Tauren wrote:

I'm sure you are right, but what if they'd happened at the other end? Hmmm?

nipplenuts wrote:
    Spurs at OT. You'd think they'd have figured it out by now. They shouldn't bother turning up - take the days rest and give up the three points.

BTW, I saw in one of the papers today, seven penalties awarded to visitors to OT in 15 years. How many games is that? Anyone know how many given the other way? That stat suggests amazing control by amazing defenders. Doesn't it?
    I think it's 30 awarded to United and 8 gone the other way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think it's 30 awarded to United and 8 gone the other way.
    Lets be fair though. While United probably do receive a slight bit of preferential treatment at Old Trafford that figure is grossly misleading. Man United normally spend a hell of alot more time in the oppositions box than the opposition do in theirs.

Every club recieves preferential treatment at home. United used to get it a bit more so, although I think that's changed in recent years.

PHB wrote:
    Every club recieves preferential treatment at home. United used to get it a bit more so, although I think that's changed in recent years.

Except when Rob Styles is reffing at Anfield. :)

true dat

Stekelly wrote:
    Except when Rob Styles is reffing at Anfield. :)

yes, liverpool's preferential treatment is reserved for neutral venues - gerrard instanbul '05 anyone :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement