Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will This Computer Work For These Games?

Options
  • 23-08-2007 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My mate is thinking of buying a dell computer and he needs a decent enough graphics card to suit the following games:

Counter Strike Source
    Total War
    Lord Of The Rings

This is the graphics card in the dell computer:

Video Cards
    Learn More
    512MB nVidia® GeForce® 8300GS Turbocache graphics card

Or if that one wont work heres another graphics card he is looking at:

Video Cards
    Learn More
    Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 3100

Anyway which one is best to get to play all of them games the bundle with the 2nd graphics card is 170euro dearer than the bundle with the 1st graphics card.

Thanks,
    WarZoneBrother

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The 8300 is the better card, both are crap. May be just about playable for those games, check www.tomshardware.com vga charts and look at the half life performance figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CSS runs on anything, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

i taught that was the case but my mates current graphics card cant run css perfectly it always freezes..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

that could very well be his net connection...dont go for the one with intergrated graphics card anyway there always ****e and when it comes to upgrading them you cant,not sure about the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Neither of those sound like gaming machines. I would recommend he goes with the cheap one and then buys a graphics card himself with the money he saves. Just make sure he has a case that you can add cards to. You can pick up a pretty decent nVidia card, like the 8800 GTS 320MB in Peats for about €300.

Or just buy one of the Dell ones that come with a decent GC

[EDIT]
    Just looking at this

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/desktops_best?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

The Inspiron 530 can be fitted with a 8600 GT for €150 extra. That is probably the one to go for if he wants anywhere decent gaming performance.

• Advertisement

Oh FFS -- would you not think your man, just like 99% of gamers worldwide, would NOT want to spend 300 fvcking EURO on a graphics card? (and yes, you are a minority. Look up the most popular online games -- they're not FPS)

@OP: Komplett & Dabs sell the graphics cards based on the nVidia 8600GT or ATi x1950GT for about 120e. If you want to spend a bit less, get a 7600GS for about 70e.

Also, don't buy extra RAM from Dell -- ask them about free RAM deals on the phone or something, they'll probably give you 2Gb for nothing (or so I've heard)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Also, don't buy extra RAM from Dell -- ask them about free RAM deals on the phone or something, they'll probably give you 2Gb for nothing (or so I've heard)
    wow free ram:eek: ?giving away free stuff like that,no wonder there shedding jobs :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Oh FFS -- would you not think your man, just like 99% of gamers worldwide, would NOT want to spend 300 fvcking EURO on a graphics card? (and yes, you are a minority. Look up the most popular online games -- they're not FPS)

Er, ok. Calm down. I apologise for insulting your mother and your heritage, oh wait I didn't I recommended a graphics card :rolleyes:

haha i agree he went a bit over the top alright :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    (Look up the most popular online games -- they're not FPS)

If you're talking about mmorpgs, in fairness, while you can get away with an average card, if you're even half serious about the game (and by that, i mean getting involved in any sort of large scale stuff) you're going to suffer.

• Advertisement

If you're talking about mmorpgs, in fairness, while you can get away with an average card, if you're even half serious about the game (and by that, i mean getting involved in any sort of large scale stuff) you're going to suffer.
    I'm not talking about MMORPGs.
    I'm talking about flash games, timewasters, online gambling etc.

MMOs are for nerds. Be honest. They are. The general public has no want to run around as a D&D character, grinding for 2hrs/day+

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    I'm not talking about MMORPGs.
    I'm talking about flash games, timewasters, online gambling etc.

MMOs are for nerds. Be honest. They are. The general public has no want to run around as a D&D character, grinding for 2hrs/day+
    wow i'd have the opposite opinion.

most of my mates play a MMORPG and i would not consider them nerds at all, they all lead healthy social lives and such.

i think what's at fault here is over generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You don't need an 8800 to play any of the games he listed, not even close. the points about the 8300 being relatively underpowered are valid outside of this post. For future proofing get something better, if those 3 are absolutely it for the moment get the first config.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Get the integrated model, and buy an add on PCI-E card with the difference.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334640 is a good balance between cost and performance. Don't get an 8800 to play CS:S.

To be honest, the card doesn't really beat out a 7600 really, but it's cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

that could very well be his net connection...dont go for the one with intergrated graphics card anyway there always ****e and when it comes to upgrading them you cant,not sure about the other one.

his current graphics card is a built in 3d graphics card..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What are you arguing about? The OP is not playing flash games and online gambling. Boards is for nerds, and look you're here.

Giblet wrote:
    Get the integrated model, and buy an add on PCI-E card with the difference.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334640 is a good balance between cost and performance. Don't get an 8800 to play CS:S.

To be honest, the card doesn't really beat out a 7600 really, but it's cheaper!
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=323510 -- €77 & silent 7600GS.

@everybody else: yes, I am turning into a bitter & cynical b*stard, alright? (also I will not not admit to being a nerd/geek/otaku/which one is it again?) But the reason I argue with anyone who recommends an 8800 to anybody is because, quite simpy, the chances of the recommender being a hardcore FPS/Western MMO nut are ~99%, while the person looking for hardware is, ~99% of the time, a "casual" gamer (note: I really don't like using that distinction). So it's a total mismatch right there; and I just have the urge to jump in before someone buys a Ferrari when what they *should probably* get is closer to a Ford.

Advertisement