Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to de-crate a pup ?

Options
  • 23-08-2007 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

When we got our pup Lucy(Lhasa Apso) back in Feb. we kept her in a crate overnight.The main reasons for this were that - she didn't exactly get the warmest of welcomes from the other two dogs so it was kind of for her own safety being a tiny pup.Also she was the last of the litter the breeder had and she had taken up residence(by choice) in a crate there.

After a couple of weeks all the dogs were one big happy family but Lucy still went to her crate at night of her own accord,the other two slept in a big bed together.

Molly(Basset) passed away a couple of weeks ago so the other Lhasa sleeps on her own now.

The crate door isn't closed and we have tried moving out her bedding but she still heads for it regardless.We have a small bed which she goes into sometimes during the day but she's not interested at night.I don't want to do the 'nuclear' option and just take away the crate.It's not a big deal and the crate is still plenty big enough for her but it would be handy if we could get rid of it off the floor.

Any thoughts ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

I think the whole point of crates is that they make a dog feel secure cos it's like a den. That's probably the reason she goes to it - it makes her feel happy and comfortable.

That said, I know exactly what you mean about the crate, we have a huge grey one still on our dining room for our two lads.

Could you try putting a nice comfortable little bed in the crate for her so she gets used to it and then slowly transition the bed outside the crate? I mean, leave the bed outside the crate during the day so she can nap on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

She sees the crate area as her safe place, I would keep it for her since she probably feels secure in it. If she out grows it you can get a larger one. I shouldn't take up any more room than a dog bed would although it does look like it does because of the height of it.
    Since she loves the crate it would be handy to let her still have it to make her feel more secure e.g. when going in the car (also safer) or when taking her to the vets etc. They can be an eye sore and you can end up banging your shins off them but she likes her bed.
    Dogs usually have a secure spot they go to when they want to relax or have a nap and I think this is hers. Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks for the replies folks

Ceidefields..you know the score ok !

Becky - you're probably right,and we do use it in the car occasionally.

Here's our dear departed Molly trying it for size one day,still not sure how she managed it !!

443730663_1c9fde8386.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

It's her little den and she likes it in there especially if she is at her 'teen' stage it's like her room!

If it's not too in the way I'd consider keeping it.

We have a crate made for a great dane for our GSD and it's in our bedroom (the shame) so we all sleep like one 'pack' :p

We cover Magic's crate with an old duvet so it' snice and dark and den like in there and a little less like a cage! :D

Advertisement