Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram and Vista compatability question

Options
  • 23-08-2007 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I've received advice on Boards from you guys, but I got another question that I was hoping I could get some help with.

Specifically it relates to RAM and Vista. I'll explain more, I have read in many places that the 32bit version of Vista (home premium etc) will not run (or recognise) 4GB of RAM or more for that matter. Now, I'm on the verge of buying a new PC and the almost sole use for it will be to play next gen games. Therefore I was seriously considering buying 4GB of RAM for it.

Then to compound matters, I was considering using the PC builder on Komplett to purchase the PC, as I'm not well enough clued in to build myself. However, I noticed that Komplett will only offer the 32bit version of Vista with their standard builds and when I queried this with them, they confirmed that the reason is that they think there is still too many issues with the 64bit version (it would effect their warranty, which is fair enough from their end). So, after saying all that, it left me a number of questions!

1. Should I just select a PC with no operating system, as they recommend at Komplett and buy the 64 bit version separately? If I do that, is it genuinely pretty easy to install the OS?

2. Does it really matter that you are buying a OEM version? I can research the net (thats about all I can do tbh!!) to find out how to install, that doesn't phase me, once it was worthwhile of course!

3. Does the 64bit version really work properly now, are all the driver issues resolved?

4. Can the 32bit version of Vista definitely not run 4GB of ram? I kinda heard somewhere that maybe if I went with 2 X 2GB sticks, it can work?

Anyway, thanks in advance guys.

:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

SK1979 wrote:
    1. Should I just select a PC with no operating system, as they recommend at Komplett and buy the 64 bit version separately? If I do that, is it genuinely pretty easy to install the OS?

Yes that would be the best solution and installing Windows is fairly easy.
    SK1979 wrote:
    2. Does it really matter that you are buying a OEM version? I can research the net (thats about all I can do tbh!!) to find out how to install, that doesn't phase me, once it was worthwhile of course!

The OEM version means that should you need to re-activate the OS you must call Microsoft and tell them your mobo died and was replaced to get them to re-activate. The retail version allows you to re-activate over the net and entitles you to technical support from MS.
    SK1979 wrote:
    3. Does the 64bit version really work properly now, are all the driver issues resolved?

If you plan your build carefully then yes most issues have been resolved but there are still little issues here and there but it's gotten a lot better.
    SK1979 wrote:
    4. Can the 32bit version of Vista definitely not run 4GB of ram? I kinda heard somewhere that maybe if I went with 2 X 2GB sticks, it can work?

You can use 4GB of RAM in 32-bit OS but because of lots of technical issues depending on the hardware in your system you can end up anywhere from 2.9-3.2GB etc of usable RAM.

You should ask yourself if you really need all that RAM as unless you are pushing the boundary's then you should not need it in other words running games are extremely high resolutions. I presume you saw the Anandtech articles but I'm sure they were pushing the systems to the edge with custom demos & the like.

If you do want to go 64-bit then;
    * Get an ATI graphics card, NVIDIA's 64-bit driver sucks in performance & bugs.
    * List all parts you are installing and locate their driver at the makers website to see if a 64-bit driver is present, this needn't be for the motherboard but printers, soundcard, scanners, webcams etc.
    * Just be aware that going 64-bit some games may not always be initally compatible this is changing in fact nothing has yet ever complained once on my 64-bit box which is my main PC but I tend to wait playing games until the first patch comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

8T8 wrote:
    Yes that would be the best solution and installing Windows is fairly easy.

The OEM version means that should you need to re-activate the OS you must call Microsoft and tell them your mobo died and was replaced to get them to re-activate. The retail version allows you to re-activate over the net and entitles you to technical support from MS.

If you plan your build carefully then yes most issues have been resolved but there are still little issues here and there but it's gotten a lot better.

You can use 4GB of RAM in 32-bit OS but because of lots of technical issues depending on the hardware in your system you can end up anywhere from 2.9-3.2GB etc of usable RAM.

You should ask yourself if you really need all that RAM as unless you are pushing the boundary's then you should not need it in other words running games are extremely high resolutions. I presume you saw the Anandtech articles but I'm sure they were pushing the systems to the edge with custom demos & the like.

If you do want to go 64-bit then;
    * Get an ATI graphics card, NVIDIA's 64-bit driver sucks in performance & bugs.
    * List all parts you are installing and locate their driver at the makers website to see if a 64-bit driver is present, this needn't be for the motherboard but printers, soundcard, scanners, webcams etc.
    * Just be aware that going 64-bit some games may not always be initally compatible this is changing in fact nothing has yet ever complained once on my 64-bit box which is my main PC but I tend to wait playing games until the first patch comes out.

I have to disagree. I have vista 64bit, and a nvidia 8800gtx. And no problems at all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

SK1979 wrote:
    Hi guys
    The issue with 2 x 2Gb sticks instead of 4 x 1Gb sticks is not related to the Operating system, it has more to do with the motherboard. Some systems will work fine with 2 or 3 sticks of RAM installed but there can be problems with a 4th stick is used. In this case using 2 2Gb sticks can get around the problem. The issue is to do with the load on the memory controller on the motherboard.

As the others have already said, you can check to see if there are 64bit drivers for all your hardware before you decide what version to go for. There's also the option of dual booting, you can have both versions on the PC at the one time, although you'll need to pay for both versions and it makes installation a little more complicated if you're not very familiar with installing an OS to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Anti wrote:
    I have to disagree. I have vista 64bit, and a nvidia 8800gtx. And no problems at all here.

Well I know I generalized a bit and for some NVIDIA is probably fine on 64-bit but given the odds I'd go with ATI as the path of least resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Also take a look at the driver documentation page on Nvidias site and have a look at the release notes for the latest 8 series drivers , there is a list as long as your arm of unresolved issues including issues with many top selling games.

So I'd have to back 8T8 here , I have an 8 series in a Vista HTPC for nearly six months now , and they only sorted out the serious issues a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Looks like its luck then. As im yet to find a issue with vista and nvidia.

Here is the doccument for the latest 8800gtx vista 64bit driver:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/162.22/162.22_WinVista_Forceware_Release_Notes.pdf

After reading through it, not one of the problems effects me in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Anti wrote:
    Looks like its luck then. As im yet to find a issue with vista and nvidia.

Here is the doccument for the latest 8800gtx vista 64bit driver:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/162.22/162.22_WinVista_Forceware_Release_Notes.pdf

After reading through it, not one of the problems effects me in any way.

Seconded, my 8800gtx on Vista sails along, have never had an issue with any game ive tried!!!

Advertisement