Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atlantic Bird 3

• 23-08-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

What size of dish is needed in Ireland to view french stations from Atlantic Bird 3. I have an 80cm dish and have tried for ages with a digital satellite metre with no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

Using a multibeam 85 dish I am getting Atlantic bird 3. Living in south west Dublin. I was not really looking for it, Just found it by sliding the Lnb holder along the bar. Never tried picking it up with standard dish. Not at home now so cannot give you a signal reading. I haven't really been looking at it for any length of time but I never saw any picture break up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

If I were to stand in front of a Sky Dish with my back to it, would I need to go to the left with my dish as opposed to the right when aligning it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Antenna

you will be turning to your right (its more west in the sky):

'Sky' is approx 28 degrees east,
    Atlantic Bird3 is 5 degree west ( a difference of 33 degrees) - and is also higher in the sky, so the dish will be tilted up more

http://www.lyngsat.com/ab3.html

if you have an analogue sat receiver that displays 'snow' (noise) when no signal and can view TV whilst aligning it may make things easier to align it whilst tuned to one of the analogue channels it carries (see the link).

(don't be concerned about the analogues appearing in black and white as its SECAM)

I got it going after, the meter would not "beep" when it found it so I had to locate Hotbird 13E first then keep nudgeing the dish to the right of it until the STB picked up the signal. Its 4/5 of the way to the full in the signal meter on the STB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

I got it going after, the meter would not "beep" when it found it so I had to locate Hotbird 13E first then keep nudgeing the dish to the right of it until the STB picked up the signal. Its 4/5 of the way to the full in the signal meter on the STB.

can you tell me what english speaking channels can you get on this sat?
    also what feeds?

cheers

• Advertisement

I have no Idea, All I could get was free-to-air french tv channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd certainly try searching for this with an analogue decoder as your "meter" if you've still got one (well, you've got it now obviously, but anyone in the future). Some boomingly strong analogue stations on AB3 still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Rippy

Were you using a Lacuna/ Wolsley meter by any chance? I found mine would never lock on AB3 either. Probably the transponder info wrong on the software and fixable with an update. I used to go to 8 west (which it always got) and nudge back 3 deg.
    Now using a Promax TV Explorer which gets everything. Different class of kit.
    Signal flies in on a Triax TD64 in Cork.

It was a Lacuna, about 3 years old and never got an update!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 freesat

just joined, hello to everyone!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Tony

freesat wrote:

who the hell are you? :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭IrishBazza

The Competition!

Freesat, I just loved the marketing of the Premiership 2 Special for Turksat!

IrishBazza wrote:
    The Competition!

/QUOTE]

I know, I was kidding. Michael (the owner) is a friend of mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

freesat wrote:

I spotted the shop on Sunday evening as I was making my way for the train down the Ballybough road. Do you do any "Croke Park Special Offers" at all? :D

Zaphod wrote:
    Do you do any "Croke Park Special Offers" at all? :D

Yes he always kicks to touch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 freesat

Hi Lads,
    There will be a few nice offers when I open in a few weeks! nothing Tony can't equal or better!:D

freesat wrote:
    Hi Lads,
    There will be a few nice offers when I open in a few weeks! nothing Tony can't equal or better!:D

I'm feeling the heat already:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

€50 for a wideband aerial... lol you wont be feeling much heat there tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Im in Dundalk (Louth) and get 70% signal on Atlantic Bird 3 (5W) on a 65cm Sky Minidish :)

The trick was that on the Digital Meter i used AB3 came up as "Canal Bouquet" or something like this, got it in about 15 minutes :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

What size of dish is needed in Ireland to view french stations from Atlantic Bird 3. I have an 80cm dish and have tried for ages with a digital satellite metre with no luck.
    80 CM ok for atlantic 5w.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

80cm is a bit sparkly on the analogue Secam. Fine on Digital

Advertisement