Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

onspeed internet accelerator, anybody had any experiences

Options
  • 23-08-2007 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hey i just came across this website http://www.onspeed.com/en/index.php as i was checking if there was any update on the availability of broadband in my area,
    They claim they can make a dial up connection 10x Faster using as they say "a technology called Content Sensitive Compression ('CSC') to individually compress each element of a web page or email using various compression algorithms based on a patent approved proprietary technology. The end result is that your web pages and emails (PC only) load and download faster using your existing Internet connection."

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with them as im surprised i haven't heard of this if its really that effective

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they strip out all the colours in graphics and rerender them, it speeds up browsing and plain email ( no attachments) ONLY and by about 3x

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Snake Oil.

You can do it yourself to an extent by turning of images in IE Opera or Firefox.

Servers and web browsers already use compression.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Hey i just came across this website http://www.onspeed.com/en/index.php as i was checking if there was any update on the availability of broadband in my area,
    They claim they can make a dial up connection 10x Faster using as they say "a technology called Content Sensitive Compression ('CSC') to individually compress each element of a web page or email using various compression algorithms based on a patent approved proprietary technology. The end result is that your web pages and emails (PC only) load and download faster using your existing Internet connection."

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with them as im surprised i haven't heard of this if its really that effective

Yeah, I installed it at home last year, it's great for my dad's use (basic surfing, downloading mails, etc). I find it speeds up the connection enough to make it somewhat usable.
    Luckily I'm in a broadband area now, but if you're stuck with dial-up, I think it's work the €40 or whatever it costs per year.

Just be aware of a couple of things though. It falls over sometimes, and needs to be reset (just set it 'off' and 'on' in the taskbar). Also, because it runs all your browsing and emails through their servers, there is a potential privacy issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Sponge Bob wrote:
    they strip out all the colours in graphics and rerender them, it speeds up browsing and plain email ( no attachments) ONLY and by about 3x

What Sponge Bob said. I am on broadband and I browse with pictures off and a program called Flashblock. If you need to see a picture you just right click on it and click 'Show picture' and if you need to view the Flash (meh as if) Flashblock has a play button.

if you do this you will only be downloading text which is much faster. On the other side of the coin my father uses this on dialup and says it works. I put it down to a form of pyschosis you get from dialup.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

kmick wrote:
    What Sponge Bob said. I am on broadband and I browse with pictures off and a program called Flashblock. If you need to see a picture you just right click on it and click 'Show picture' and if you need to view the Flash (meh as if) Flashblock has a play button.

if you do this you will only be downloading text which is much faster. On the other side of the coin my father uses this on dialup and says it works. I put it down to a form of pyschosis you get from dialup.

Kmick, if you're using broadband, why would you bother switching off everything to download text? Surely that's a big part of the reason for getting a faster internet connection, to 'enhance' your browsing experience. If you're just downloading text what's the need for a broadband connection for web browsing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

Cheer rahtkennades,

i might just Ive it a try because I'm stuck with only dial up at the minute and the only company offering any sort of broadband is last mile who's service time and just general service i haven't heard great things about.

That said I'll probably still have to choose them in the long run but at least onspeed might make dial up at least tolerable

Plus if your not happy you can get a full refund before 14 days

Advertisement